Report: ESPN considering putting Herbie and Fowler in MNF booth

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That is a riot Yolo.  Thanks for sharing.  Spielman is a nut.  Who is the chick?  His daughter or his girlfriend?  I went to Michigan when he was at Ohio State.  But I still respect the hell out of him.  

That’s his daughter. He put out several videos about tackling techniques and the like with his kids , pretty good quarantine entertainment 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I have no clue why ESPN can't put together a good MNF program. They have the resources and the justification for it. But yet they haven't had a good MNF team and broadcast for a long time if ever. 

Fundamentally flawed approach to start - it's considered "entertainment" and produced by the same people that make the sitcoms and shows America allegedly "loves".

2 hours ago, freester said:

I just watched “A football life “ Chris Spielman. He was awesome. I wish we had him for more of his prime years. Herbie is awesome, one of the most knowledgeable TV guys out there. I just wish those two guys had gone to Michigan instead of Ohio State. 

Agree about Spielman.  Disagree about Herbstreit.  He is a legend in his own mind if you ask me.  Soon he won't be able to fit into his suits as he keeps getting puffier and puffier.  I like a lot of the secondary college football announcing pairings on ESPN that don't get the 8pm Saturday games.  But are very entertaining nonetheless.  And lets not forget about Charles Davis.  Another great analyst.  

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Fundamentally flawed approach to start - it's considered "entertainment" and produced by the same people that make the sitcoms and shows America allegedly "loves".

Other broadcasts go with a more fun approach and get better results. It isn't even like they are good at the approach either. 

34 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Agree about Spielman.  Disagree about Herbstreit.  He is a legend in his own mind if you ask me.  Soon he won't be able to fit into his suits as he keeps getting puffier and puffier.  I like a lot of the secondary college football announcing pairings on ESPN that don't get the 8pm Saturday games.  But are very entertaining nonetheless.  And lets not forget about Charles Davis.  Another great analyst.  

On madden too lol

Monday night football ratings slide isn’t due to the announce team. It’s the product it’s self. When the NFL finally realizes that us fans don’t care about the cowboys and patriots that are forced on us week after week ratings will climb!

22 hours ago, StHustle said:

Never got why people hate Booger so much (besides the terrible nickname). He is one of the he more knowledgeable guys on broadcasting and articulates it well imo. I think all he needs is polish.

Would love to hear the reasons you want Booger out of the job. I always see people bad talk him but rarely hear any reasons of substance.

That's because there are none. 

He speaks clearly - minus the waffle - and gives good technical insights on each and every play. Right up there with the best in the business IMO.

There is NO justifiable rationale for labelling Booger a poor NFL commentator.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

I'm listening

Guy is a solid play caller, has an excellent, understated sense of humor, gets excited when the situation calls for it (and not otherwise)......what else do people want?   

I was so happy when he turned up on MNF a few years ago.   Terrible decision to take him off.

19 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You beat me to Kevin Harlan.  Best in the biz right now.

He used to annoy the hell out of me. I love his passion now though. He ramps up according to the play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Guy is a solid play caller, has an excellent, understated sense of humor, gets excited when the situation calls for it (and not otherwise)......what else do people want?   

I was so happy when he turned up on MNF a few years ago.   Terrible decision to take him off.

Couldnt agree more. How he’s not more front and center is beyond me. 

I’m a Yankee fan living in MA and loved him on Red Sox broadcasts. 

I think that much of him. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If the NFL has a season with no fans, CFB will do the same. The money is in the TV deals etc. There is a rumor from a good source that the first 4 college weeks on the schedule will be played without fans. 

The other concern is when kids will go back to college.  Can’t play games if the players aren’t there.  I’ve heard from friends that UB is making contingency plans in case kids can’t go back in the fall.

7 hours ago, freester said:

I just watched “A football life “ Chris Spielman. He was awesome. I wish we had him for more of his prime years. Herbie is awesome, one of the most knowledgeable TV guys out there. I just wish those two guys had gone to Michigan instead of Ohio State. 

Got to briefly meet Chris Spielman.  He seemed like a nice guy.  I volunteered at a charity golf outing that a friend of mine helped organize.  It raised money for The Stephanie Spielman Foundation that year and he came to the dinner after.  He seemed to really appreciate it. 

Bite your tongue on the Michigan comment.  Blasphemy. 

On 4/6/2020 at 7:16 PM, StHustle said:

Never got why people hate Booger so much (besides the terrible nickname). He is one of the he more knowledgeable guys on broadcasting and articulates it well imo. I think all he needs is polish.

Would love to hear the reasons you want Booger out of the job. I always see people bad talk him but rarely hear any reasons of substance

I agree. His comments are spot on.  

But the guy that should move up is Jay Feely.  Maybe not all the way to MNF but at least to the second crew.  He is really good with quickly going through different strategic decisions.

On 4/7/2020 at 7:27 AM, Paup 1995MVP said:

Gus Johnson is the best sports announcer going.  Noone has his enthusiasm and his use of the English language is tremendous.  Him and Joel Klatt make a great team on Fox College Football.  Can't stand Herbie.  Acts like a know it all and thinks he is the Commissioner of College Football.  Fowler is good calling the game (and he is a big Metallica fan)  But ESPN college gameday by this point is so old news.  Maybe you have to be in your 20's to like it.  To me its just overkill.  Bring me the games.  Who has time for all the extra shtick.  Chris Spielman is very underrated.  Has great knowledge of the game.  And really good humor.  If you youngsters could have watched him play.  That was a football player.  As tough as they come.  So many of you talk about Matt Milano, and how good you think he is.  Back 20 years ago he would not have made it on the field at his size.  You had to be able to tackle.  And that meant putting someone on their ass.  I think Spielman had 26 tackles in the Michigan-Ohio State game in 1986.  Chew on that as you all start your day.

Funny that this was just tweeted today. Spielman is very humble and says that every time the story is told the # of tackles seems to go up

20 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Not saying he should go straight to MNF, but with the success of Romo I've gotta wonder if Alex Smith gets a job in the booth somewhere. 

He’s supposedly super intelligent with film study  so I could see him being able to translate that to some of the things Romo does with recognizing plays pre-snap. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He’s supposedly super intelligent with film study  so I could see him being able to translate that to some of the things Romo does with recognizing plays pre-snap. 

I honestly think he'd be really good at it. And it'd be a nice way to stay involved in the sport after a miserable injury, even if he is still attempting to recover. 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Funny that this was just tweeted today. Spielman is very humble and says that every time the story is told the # of tackles seems to go up

I believe we won the game though.  Have to love that old school MLB.  That personified pro football for so many years.  I remember watching Spielman broadcast college games.  He would be on the field before the game or at half time showing some move to get around an O lineman wearing his shirt and tie.  Cracked me up.  Another guy in his ilk is Matt Millen.  Another warrior who was a champion on the field and a very glib entertaining announcer off of it.  One black mark.  His GM tenure with the Lions.  I can not remember a GM hated by a fan base as much as Millen was in Detroit.