Report: ESPN considering putting Herbie and Fowler in MNF booth

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Never got why people hate Booger so much (besides the terrible nickname). He is one of the he more knowledgeable guys on broadcasting and articulates it well imo. I think all he needs is polish.

Would love to hear the reasons you want Booger out of the job. I always see people bad talk him but rarely hear any reasons of substance

Booger distracts from the game- he does not add to it. Romo adds a little and then shuts up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Only Gus Johnson can save MNF.

You guys really like Gus huh?

i liked him 15 years ago.  Not a fan of the screaming anymore 

it’s been about 10 years since I met him, so he may have quit by now, but he was a pretty nasty chain smoker when I talked to him last.  surprised someone that depends on their voice would smoke so much

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Never got why people hate Booger so much (besides the terrible nickname). He is one of the he more knowledgeable guys on broadcasting and articulates it well imo. I think all he needs is polish.

Would love to hear the reasons you want Booger out of the job. I always see people bad talk him but rarely hear any reasons of substance

His voice is annoying and he talks too much. He's also wrong a lot. Any other questions?

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Same here.  I love watching some ABC/ESPN College Football games with this pair, but I'm not sure how well their game translates to the NFL.

Part of what makes Herbie and Fowler so great at College Football is they genuinely seem to love the game.

Part of what makes ESPN MNF so bad recently is the NFL and ESPN have been pushing Narratives, on and off the field, that their announcers have had to frame the game in terms of.  That and the ESPN MNF on air crew is what, about a dozen or so personalities counting the pregame and halftime clowns they have to squeeze in at some point

Did you know that JJ Watt brought emotional energy back to the Texans for that playoff game?  ESPN overproduces the hell out of the game feeling they have to one up all the other networks who also overproduce the games. 

I wouldn't mind if they brought over Kevin Harlan and Kurt Warner from Westwood one as they're much easier to listen to and have decent chemistry.  Maybe add Louis Riddick as a three man team.  Get rid of the gimmicks and increase the analysis.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A dead rabbit > Booger.

I was just about to write how I'm not a big Herbie fan.  But then I realized how much of an upgrade this would be.  I'm all for it!

Just in the past few years, my ears (football coverage, in general) have endured Rex, Beth Mowins, Jason Witten and Booger.

I hope Witten plays football until he's 93.  Anything to keep his ass out of the booth.

But Booger .... Booger made me use the mute button.  He gots to go.

4 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You beat me to Kevin Harlan.  Best in the biz right now.

I like Harlan but I am not sure him and McAfee would be a great mix. Harlan needs a calm color guy because he can get a bit over excited and lost in the moment. I think if you put him and McAfee in a box together they would end up shouting over one another and it would be a mess. Similarly I don't think Harlan could work with Romo. Just isn't the right mesh. Rich Gannon is good for him. Think he has to be matched with someone a bit deadpan.

EDIT: If there is a booth I'd put Harlan in at the moment I'd put him in the Fox booth if they insist on keeping Troy. Buck and Aikman are never excited. By anything. Harlan and Aikman could work.

Edited by GunnerBill

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I was just about to write how I'm not a big Herbie fan.  But then I realized how much of an upgrade this would be.  I'm all for it!

Just in the past few years, my ears (football coverage, in general) have endured Rex, Beth Mowins, Jason Witten and Booger.

I hope Witten plays football until he's 93.  Anything to keep his ass out of the booth.

But Booger .... Booger made me use the mute button.  He gots to go.

My favourite Booger-ism which he says almost every time he breaks down a sack is "If the left tackle [exchange for any other OL position] blocks his man, that sack doesn't happen."

Well done Booger. Nothing gets past you.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Only Gus Johnson can save MNF.

Gus Johnson is the best sports announcer going.  Noone has his enthusiasm and his use of the English language is tremendous.  Him and Joel Klatt make a great team on Fox College Football.  Can't stand Herbie.  Acts like a know it all and thinks he is the Commissioner of College Football.  Fowler is good calling the game (and he is a big Metallica fan)  But ESPN college gameday by this point is so old news.  Maybe you have to be in your 20's to like it.  To me its just overkill.  Bring me the games.  Who has time for all the extra shtick.  Chris Spielman is very underrated.  Has great knowledge of the game.  And really good humor.  If you youngsters could have watched him play.  That was a football player.  As tough as they come.  So many of you talk about Matt Milano, and how good you think he is.  Back 20 years ago he would not have made it on the field at his size.  You had to be able to tackle.  And that meant putting someone on their ass.  I think Spielman had 26 tackles in the Michigan-Ohio State game in 1986.  Chew on that as you all start your day.

3 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Gus Johnson is the best sports announcer going.  Noone has his enthusiasm and his use of the English language is tremendous.  Him and Joel Klatt make a great team on Fox College Football.  Can't stand Herbie.  Acts like a know it all and thinks he is the Commissioner of College Football.  Fowler is good calling the game (and he is a big Metallica fan)  But ESPN college gameday by this point is so old news.  Maybe you have to be in your 20's to like it.  To me its just overkill.  Bring me the games.  Who has time for all the extra shtick.  Chris Spielman is very underrated.  Has great knowledge of the game.  And really good humor.  If you youngsters could have watched him play.  That was a football player.  As tough as they come.  So many of you talk about Matt Milano, and how good you think he is.  Back 20 years ago he would not have made it on the field at his size.  You had to be able to tackle.  And that meant putting someone on their ass.  I think Spielman had 26 tackles in the Michigan-Ohio State game in 1986.  Chew on that as you all start your day.

Spiels is staying busy during quarantine 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

Herb and Chris do a good job broadcasting college games. They have a good rapport with each other and with ease complement each other.  It just seems to me that the college game more so than the pro game is the best setting for them. Just as Keith Jackson was more suited to the college game over the pro game the same suitability applies to those two.  

If the NFL has a season with no fans at games and their is no CFB then why not give them a shot at the NFL level. The NFL is probably the only league that could survive having a season with empty stadiums given their strong TV contract.

I've grown fond of Joe and Booger.

Bring on the confused reactions. Obviously not everyone agrees that they're terrible, or they wouldn't have gotten the job in the first place.

I'd rather listen to this crew than Buck/Aikman any day.

Hating on Booger is like hating on Nickelback. A few people started doing it, and then it became the cool thing to do. There may be some justification, but the herd mentality has pushed the disdain to an unreasonable level just because it's cool.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Greg S said:

If the NFL has a season with no fans at games and their is no CFB then why not give them a shot at the NFL level. The NFL is probably the only league that could survive having a season with empty stadiums given their strong TV contract.

If the NFL has a season with no fans, CFB will do the same. The money is in the TV deals etc. There is a rumor from a good source that the first 4 college weeks on the schedule will be played without fans. 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If the NFL has a season with no fans, CFB will do the same. The money is in the TV deals etc. There is a rumor from a good source that the first 4 college weeks on the schedule will be played without fans. 

Basically every college football team will know what it feels like to be the Chargers.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Greg S said:

As YOLO points out if there are no fans in the stadium for NFL games then it is likely that there will be no fans in the stadium for college games. Everyone has their own preference who they like or don't like covering games. I just think that Kirby and Chris do a terrific job covering college games. I prefer not seeing them moving to a different venue. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As YOLO points out if there are no fans in the stadium for NFL games then it is likely that there will be no fans in the stadium for college games. Everyone has their own preference who they like or don't like covering games. I just think that Kirby and Chris do a terrific job covering college games. I prefer not seeing them moving to a different venue. 

They are voices I associate with college. I don’t think they should move them either. Plus Herbie is their face of College Game Day even though Fowler isn’t on there anymore. And while we are at it. Give us back Sam Ponder, rescue her from having to work with Rex every Sunday on nfl countdown. She belongs on CFB too 

Edited by YoloinOhio