NFL draft will be “fully virtual” - club personnel will draft individually from home

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Soooo bizarre to picture this . How many zoom meetings can you have going at one time? Hope Beane has a lot of bandwidth at his house.

we’ve had 4 simultaneous VTC over teams, zoom FaceTime etc over our run of the mill internet. (adults working and kids schooling) I’m sure it’ll be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Very strange.

Couldn't they just make it where a select few people are in the same room with each other going through the process of making their selections?

Probably not because each state has different restrictions right now and the league wants to make it fair across the board. For example in Ohio no one is allowed to leave home except for essential business like groceries, or to walk around in open air apart from others, and no one should be letting anyone in their homes unless they live there. Even relatives. So it would make that type of gathering, even small, impossible until at least may 1

• Like (+1) 5

If Beane’s Internet goes out, will he go on auto-draft? Lol

thinking it through a bit further, it might be good that his team has all of Day 1 to observe how it will look and feel before actually drafting. They can do virtual mock drafts beforehand but the actual thing will be a first for everyone.

teams with first time GMs have to be a bit scattered right now 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Probably not because each state has different restrictions right now and the league wants to make it fair across the board. For example in Ohio no one is allowed to leave home except for essential business like groceries, or to walk around in open air apart from others, and no one should be letting anyone in their homes unless they live there. Even relatives. So it would make that type of gathering, even small, impossible until at least may 1

I see.

Still, they don't have to use Zoom and do all the video conferencing. I'm sure they can do a teleconference over the phone. That would be less complicated, I would think.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I see.

Still, they don't have to use Zoom and do all the video conferencing. I'm sure they can do a teleconference over the phone. That would be less complicated, I would think.

I wonder if you put everyone on the same one (including terry and Kim) or you have different ones set up - one with Beane’s top FO who are making and taking calls to teams on trades (schoen, hickey, gray, Morgan, etc) one with The scouts, one with coaches, etc 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if you put everyone on the same one (including terry and Kim) or you have different ones set up - one with Beane’s top FO who are making and taking calls to teams on trades (schoen, hickey, gray, Morgan, etc) one with The scouts, one with coaches, etc 

Exactly.

This can not be that complicated.

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I see.

I used Webex for meeting for years and had participants from all around the globe.  It had teleconferencing (call in) capabilities.

The technology will be fine and I'm sure the teams will practice it ahead of time.

I can see this maybe have a slight effect on how many trades will be agreed to but in the long run I think this gives Beane a bit of an advantage.

If I was a Texans fan I would be terrified that BoB will be left on his own!  LOL

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I used Webex for meeting for years and had participants from all around the globe.  It had teleconferencing (call in) capabilities.

The technology will be fine and I'm sure the teams will practice it ahead of time.

I can see this maybe have a slight effect on how many trades will be agreed to but in the long run I think this gives Beane a bit of an advantage.

If I was a Texans fan I would be terrified that BoB will be left on his own!  LOL

BOB will have his on selfie mode 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hopefully they have some redundancy built into the draft day network(s).

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Soooo bizarre to picture this . How many zoom meetings can you have going at one time? Hope Beane has a lot of bandwidth at his house.

What happens if there is a major denial of service attack when Bills want to pick?  It does happen.

This IMO is public relations and over reaction IMO.  They can make it completely safe isolated each other at One Bills Drive.  

30 minutes ago, H2o said:

Great, now the P*ts are sitting back just waiting to crash the internet like

Go Do It GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

So do we at work (my job is to monitor systems and still do it from home now) and there are failures.   Every state "stay at home" restrictions have holes in it.