NFL draft will be “fully virtual” - club personnel will draft individually from home

3 hours ago, Mango said:

I mean, poop, I have a friend who was asked to fly into Texas for work for some emergency work, he is a transporter (logistics/shipping). His employer called it an emergency and booked the flight so he thought it was OK. As soon as he got off the plane he was greeted by a federal marshal who told him he now was not allowed to leave the state for 14 days. He could have gotten out, but the load he was carrying did not have any DOT numbers (which he did not realize before he took the load), so he could not get an exception for essential personnel.  

Sounds like Texas is a roach trap - I wonder how pilots get out?

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No, this is technology and functionality that has been around for a decade. Draft boards are pretty much already set. This isnt rocket surgery.

Good for these is a shortage of protection equipment all over country except in some warehouses.

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

will they have auto draft to BPA ? 

just in case the decision maker loses his connection....lol

P.S.  goodell looking forward to first year not getting booed

So are players looking forward to not getting man handled by him.

Do players get paid signing bonus as soon as signed?  Some may sign faster now on chance of no season and a team like Bengals, Jets or Cleveland decide they would rather have money than pick if they will not play for a year.

36 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Sounds like Texas is a roach trap - I wonder how pilots get out?

Good for these is a shortage of protection equipment all over country except in some warehouses.

So are players looking forward to not getting man handled by him.

Do players get paid signing bonus as soon as signed?  Some may sign faster now on chance of no season and a team like Bengals, Jets or Cleveland decide they would rather have money than pick if they will not play for a year.

He was picking up a truck and trailer that he assumed was registered with the DoT because you know, it’s his living. Had it been registered he would have gotten out as essential. I assume pilots fall under this. 

In regards to video conferencing and security. I used to work for RSA, they are booming. For conferencing, I sell this now, Zoom is a mess right now but they are popular. Places like hospitals are having issues. But that’s always been an issue, just more people are aware of it. Use “Vidyo” if you are dealing with sensitive information. 

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I remember watching the videos the Bills released after last year's Draft showing their Draft room.  It's going to be quite a challenge to be able to manage all that information efficiently.  Taking calls to trade up or down, making calls to trade up or down.  It seems like they are always talking to several teams at the same time about possible moves.  Keeping track of every team's draft picks and their likely positions of need remaining after each selection.  Lots of moving parts.  The League might want to give an extra minute or two for each selection.

Here's a link to that video...

Curious to see how many trades occur during the draft.  Bellichick likes to move around the board a lot and so does Beane.  Might keep trades down unless they're worked out ahead of time.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dopey said:

I'm gonna hack in and draft Akers.

Im thinking if someone really wants to this could happen 

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Gettleman, right? 

BoB

19 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Curious to see how many trades occur during the draft.  Bellichick likes to move around the board a lot and so does Beane.  Might keep trades down unless they're worked out ahead of time.

Life before COVID19 is almost unrecognizable ? 

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Gettleman, right? 

BoB

How bad does this have to suck for Joe Burrow, Chase Young, and all the high first round draft picks?  They've spent their lives up to this point working towards that moment when their name is announced and they walk out onto that stage and Goodell hands them that jersey.

Now they're getting Zoom or Skype time

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

How bad does this have to suck for Joe Burrow, Chase Young, and all the high first round draft picks?  They've spent their lives up to this point working towards that moment when their name is announced and they walk out onto that stage and Goodell hands them that jersey.

Now they're getting Zoom or Skype time

Now they'll have to muddle through like every guy drafted until 25 years ago......plus an extra few million bucks.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Very strange.

Couldn't they just make it where a select few people are in the same room with each other going through the process of making their selections?

With all the video meeting options available its pretty easy to get all the people together in one area. Not a big deal, IMHO. Global Banks conduct business with clients like this all over the world on a multiple times a day basis. Pretty sure they can hold a virtual draft where everyone speaks the same language and can understand each other.

Edited by matter2003

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

As of this morning when he was on WGR, Beane still thought they would have either a small group at the facility or at someone‘s house

I mean you could still have multiple people on the phones using Zoom or some other video conference software and the people at each end using their phones or special ones for the draft.

7 hours ago, H2o said:

Great, now the Chinese are sitting back just waiting to crash the internet like

Go Do It GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Foreign powers may fiddle with our elections, but they’d not dare fiddle with our football.

”Comrade, don’t be a fool!”

This is going to be an interesting draft. I’m excited to see how it all plays out.

Will they be more lenient if a team doesn’t get a pick in on time? 

At least If there are any issues they should hopefully be worked out before we pick on day 2.

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If Beane’s Internet goes out, will he go on auto-draft? Lol

thinking it through a bit further, it might be good that his team has all of Day 1 to observe how it will look and feel before actually drafting. They can do virtual mock drafts beforehand but the actual thing will be a first for everyone.

teams with first time GMs have to be a bit scattered right now 

Berman's taxi cab driver better be ready....

I hope they invest in some serious league wide DDOS protection, as well as have protocols in place for if there are other internet issues.

But now having said that, I can see a new scandal arising in the Pats pretending to have connection issues to cheese out extra time to call around for trades and whatnot.

• Like (+1) 1