NFL releases All-Decade Team - 4 former Bills selected

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

All this proves is the Bills rosters were generally fine.  Just couldn’t find a qb.  It’s that simple.

and Gore isn’t that good.  He was not a special player.  He is the Harold Baines of football. 

None of those 4 guys had played their best football in a Bills uniform. Is that because the teams they were on weren't that talented, or because they were all over the hill (McCoy and Gorel, or couldn't blossom in Buffalo.(Peters and Lynch)?

Edited by Buftex

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

All this proves is the Bills rosters were generally fine.  Just couldn’t find a qb.  It’s that simple.

and Gore isn’t that good.  He was not a special player.  He is the Harold Baines of football. 

Those players played the majority of their careers for different teams. Even McCoy, who still had a couple good years here, was far more dominant for the Eagles.

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Terrible take. He's 3rd ALL TIME in yardage. I don't see CJ Spiller on that list...........

I’m not sure why it’s a terrible take. I actually think it’s quite fitting.

And although I don’t believe Baines should be a hall of famer, he was a pretty great hitter. He just played forever.

It’s not like he said Gore was the Ellis Burks of the NFL...

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, MJS said:

Those players played the majority of their careers for different teams. Even McCoy, who still had a couple good years here, was far more dominant for the Eagles.

But even saying that, we still had some really good rbs and adequate LTs.  It’s all about the qb and we’ve had 20 years of subpar qb play.  It’s telling that none of our guys of the last 20 years had any moments after they left the Bills. 

15 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I’m not sure why it’s a terrible take. I actually think it’s quite fitting.

And although I don’t believe Baines should be a hall of famer, he was a pretty great hitter. He just played forever.

It’s not like he said Gore was the Ellis Burks of the NFL...

Exactly.  Gore is good and it’s amazing that he lasted as long as he has as a rb.  But he was rarely one of the best at his position.  Hall if Fame is supposed to be greatness.  Gore was good not great.  It’s like Eli.  Eli was never one of the best qbs.  He had a .500 record.  But because he has 2 rings, he gets in.  But without those, he’s not a HOF despite a lot of “stats.”

30 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But even saying that, we still had some really good rbs and adequate LTs.  It’s all about the qb and we’ve had 20 years of subpar qb play.  It’s telling that none of our guys of the last 20 years had any moments after they left the Bills. 

Exactly.  Gore is good and it’s amazing that he lasted as long as he has as a rb.  But he was rarely one of the best at his position.  Hall if Fame is supposed to be greatness.  Gore was good not great.  It’s like Eli.  Eli was never one of the best qbs.  He had a .500 record.  But because he has 2 rings, he gets in.  But without those, he’s not a HOF despite a lot of “stats.”

The better argument about Gore is noting that his three most productive seasons (yards from scrimmage; ypa) occurred in the previous decade! https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GoreFr00.htm

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree with that. Bad QB play, but also bad coaching and leadership in general. Wade Phillips was good, but the rest stunk.

1 hour ago, Raleigh • √eff said:

it seems those are all decade players, that passed through Buffalo. Didn't build their resume here exactly. Moorman should be on that list I think.

Most of his career was 2001 to 2010, so the previous decade. He only played to 2013 and those last couple of years weren't that noteworthy.

2 hours ago, uticaclub said:

McCoy has some great years in Buffalo, if he laid duds his time here he wouldn't have made the list. Peters & Lynch didn't play for the Bills this decade and Gore look like he needed a wheelchair at times last year

McCoy didn't do anything here to qualify him for best of the decade.  Very good for season, sure, good for another 2 absolutely.  He also put up some dud stats at the end.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Is Joe Thomas overrated?  I hear everyone in the national media call him an all time great.  When I watch him play the Bills however, Jerry Hughes makes him look like a rookie 7th round pick.  Is he only bad versus Hughes?

Maybe Thomas is good enough that he doesn't rely on the refs not flagging him

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

LeSean McCoy

marshawn lynch

frank gore

jason Peters 

Only Peters comes close to being  Bill. The other three did their real work on other teams. Pretty misleading.....

Three RBs. Jeez. If there's a position you are going to be good at acquiring, you should be hoping it won't be RB. QB, WR, CB, LT and EDGE. Be good at those.

And not one of those guys spent even close to half his career here.

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gore was terrific, though not last year. And while QB was our #1 problem it was far from the only one. Bad coaching choices, lack of continuity and mediocre drafting also hurt.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, I preface it by saying it needs to be a qb that was developed into a good starter by another franchise.  

my point all along is that the Bills drafting isn’t close to as bad as some people make it out to be. Whaley, who gets ripped on here, built a SB team minus one position.  If the Bills had Brady instead of Orton and EJ (who got terribly developed here),  they are a potential SB winner. NE makes terrible draft picks and trades all the time (Chandler Jones for Cooper!!!) yet they consistently win because of Brady.  I really do think it’s that simple.  IMO, this team is a very solid playoff team and how far they go depends on much Allen grows.  JMO.  

Decent??? That’s all decade stuff there. 

Yup, all decade play.  He was really good here on offenses with very limited passing games to open up lanes for him.

mcCoy, kinda a shady dude but one of the best trades in Bills history. 

First, "SB team minus one position"? Oh, please. That is a wild wild exaggeration. That was slightly above average, probably. A good defense helped out by very fine scheming of a rush to compensate for our lack of really good rushers.

And second, it wasn't Whaley who built that "SB team minus one position." Go back and take a look at when they were drafted. Most of the players you're referring to are Nix picks. Unless you're talking about the Rexy teams, which were much more Whaley's but also far from being one player away. Nix was the one GM here who was pretty good during that stretch, though he did poorly with coaches (not entirely his fault as he was choosing when Ralph was ill and the team's future was up in the air and nobody wanted that job at that time), never got a decent QB or much at WR (though Woods was an exception) or OL outside of Wood and Glenn.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/7/2020 at 12:17 AM, Thurman#1 said:

First, "SB team minus one position"? Oh, please. That is a wild wild exaggeration. That was slightly above average, probably. A good defense helped out by very fine scheming of a rush to compensate for our lack of really good rushers.

And second, it wasn't Whaley who built that "SB team minus one position." Go back and take a look at when they were drafted. Most of the players you're referring to are Nix picks. Unless you're talking about the Rexy teams, which were much more Whaley's but also far from being one player away. Nix was the one GM here who was pretty good during that stretch, though he did poorly with coaches (not entirely his fault as he was choosing when Ralph was ill and the team's future was up in the air and nobody wanted that job at that time), never got a decent QB or much at WR (though Woods was an exception) or OL outside of Wood and Glenn.

That team beat Aaron Rodgers without scoring an offense td.  In the last great season of Peyton, they ended his td streak.  Where were the weaknesses on that team?  It was loaded minus that qb.  If you put any good qb on that team, yup, they are SB contender.  That was the best defense since ‘99.  A truly dominant unit.