NFL releases All-Decade Team - 4 former Bills selected

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hope you’re not talking about Lynch?  Dude was an idiot in Buffalo.  He forced their hand.  And after he got suspended, he was still skiing in Buffalo bars.  He also got busted with weed and guns.  Dude was a moron here bad forced their hands.

the Peters one was more complicated.  They have him a new contract and he wanted another for being a LT after playing like half of a season.  But in hindsight, he was worth it.  But they got Wood from that and LT wasn’t holding the Bills back from making the playoffs.  The Eagles lost Peters and won the SB.  LT has become an overrated position.  

Lynch did some dumb stuff.  But not trading him until the 2010 season after having Jackson AND then drafting Spiller was the definition of Buddy-stupid. 

Getting Eric Wood was nice, but the trade was lopsided. 

16 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

yep- all four of these guys played their best ball elsewhere. Lynch and peters were good players that became great post Buffalo.

Peters had been named 2nd Team All-Pro twice when Buffalo dealt him.  They knew he was among the league's best already when he got traded in April 2009.

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

As the last Jauron defender left, he won 7 games with JP and Trent.  He won 13 with Shane Matthews.  Yes if he had a Brady or top qb, he would have made the playoffs.  People overrate GMs and coaches.  There’s like 3 who are real difference makers.  It all starts with the qb and then building the team around him.  We build our teams around Trent and JP.  That was the problem.  They drafted HOFers.

I'm not saying the teams were completely devoid of talent, but AT BEST they were mediocre. It showed on the field well beyond the QB. Just because we had a couple, just a couple, of guys who were much better than the rest on our roster at one point, and may likely be in the HOF one day, does not mean we would have been any kind of threat if we just had a better QB. Maybe the teams that Rex screwed up completely? Sure, but again it falls on the coaching because he ruined the defense. 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think two of those UDFAs were kicker/punter

Peters was another and I’m pretty sure Chris Harris was undrafted. I thought that both of those kickers were drafted? Gostkowski definitely was but not sure on Tucker.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, H2o said:

I'm not saying the teams were completely devoid of talent, but AT BEST they were mediocre. It showed on the field well beyond the QB. Just because we had a couple, just a couple, of guys who were much better than the rest on our roster at one point, and may likely be in the HOF one day, does not mean we would have been any kind of threat if we just had a better QB. Maybe the teams that Rex screwed up completely? Sure, but again it falls on the coaching because he ruined the defense. 

Yeah with Rex, he inherited a top 3 defense and had a top 10 scoring offense.  That is all on him.

im just saying before Rex, if you traded Brady to the Bills, they are in the playoffs consistently and that 2014 team might have won the SB.  I do think it’s that simple.  But this would be a developed qb because I didn’t trust the Bills to develop a guy.

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Lynch did some dumb stuff.  But not trading him until the 2010 season after having Jackson AND then drafting Spiller was the definition of Buddy-stupid. 

Peters had been named 2nd Team All-Pro twice when Buffalo dealt him.  They knew he was among the league's best already when he got traded in April 2009.

What team is giving up a high pick for a running back who just had a 4 game suspension?  He killed his trade value.  I think you really have to work hard to blame the Lynch trade on the Bills.

Peters is definitely more open to debate.  But I think crappy qbs was more of the problem than not having Peters.  While they didn’t have a Peters HOF talent, they had serviceable ones.  The drop off from Peters to say some random Bills LT I can’t remember after he left isn’t close to the Grand Canyon between Brady and Losman.

6 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

and first team all pro twice in addition to two more second team all-pro after he left.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Peters was another and I’m pretty sure Chris Harris was undrafted. I thought that both of those kickers were drafted? Gostkowski definitely was but not sure on Tucker.

Tucker and Hekker were not based on an article I read but i didn’t fact check 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

In a league where RB's are devalued we have three on the all decade team, three drafted in the 1st round since 2001, and the one that pry had the biggest impact was an undrafted player from NFL Europe.  Sigh.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I liked McCoy here for sure. But he didn’t get in any all decade team conversation from that stint.  

He had 1600 total yards, 14 tds, and averaged 5.4 ypc in 15 games in 2015.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

In a league where RB's are devalued we have three on the all decade team, three drafted in the 1st round since 2001, and the one that pry had the biggest impact was an undrafted player from NFL Europe.  Sigh.

It’s true.  The Bills are great at drafting running back.  The rest of the nfl doesn’t value running backs.  But let’s give a vet rb $3 million: year still and sign another fullback!

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah with Rex, he inherited a top 3 defense and had a top 10 scoring offense.  That is all on him.

im just saying before Rex, if you traded Brady to the Bills, they are in the playoffs consistently and that 2014 team might have won the SB.  I do think it’s that simple.  But this would be a developed qb because I didn’t trust the Bills to develop a guy.

I don't think Brady is the Brady everyone thinks he is if he is here. We suffered through years of incompetence in the FO, scouting dept, and staff. Years. Terrible drafting, terrible coaching, and bad roster decisions that put us in cap hell at points. We had key misses in the draft that we all still point to. Whitner over Ngata, Maybin over Orakpo, CJ Spiller over a host of others we could have had when we already had Jackson and Lynch, all of those decisions set us back. I know all teams have their histories, but from The Music City Miracle on ours was especially bad if not in one way crippling the franchise then another. Thankfully, now things have been turned around. :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He had 1600 total yards, 14 tds, and averaged 5.4 ypc in 15 games in 2015.

If you take his first three years in Buffalo, he averaged 1636 total yards and 10 TDs per 16 games (and that's just missing five games).  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I don't think Brady is the Brady everyone thinks he is if he is here. We suffered through years of incompetence in the FO, scouting dept, and staff. Years. Terrible drafting, terrible coaching, and bad roster decisions that put us in cap hell at points. We had key misses in the draft that we all still point to. Whitner over Ngata, Maybin over Orakpo, CJ Spiller over a host of others we could have had when we already had Jackson and Lynch, all of those decisions set us back. I know all teams have their histories, but from The Music City Miracle on ours was especially bad if not in one way crippling the franchise then another. Thankfully, now things have been turned around. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I preface it by saying it needs to be a qb that was developed into a good starter by another franchise.  

my point all along is that the Bills drafting isn’t close to as bad as some people make it out to be. Whaley, who gets ripped on here, built a SB team minus one position.  If the Bills had Brady instead of Orton and EJ (who got terribly developed here),  they are a potential SB winner. NE makes terrible draft picks and trades all the time (Chandler Jones for Cooper!!!) yet they consistently win because of Brady.  I really do think it’s that simple.  IMO, this team is a very solid playoff team and how far they go depends on much Allen grows.  JMO.  

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yep- a decent year. But in 2013? Over 2100 yfs. Now that’s all decade stuff. 

Decent??? That’s all decade stuff there. 

Just now, thurst44 said:

If you take his first three years in Buffalo, he averaged 1636 total yards and 10 TDs per 16 games (and that's just missing five games).  

Yup, all decade play.  He was really good here on offenses with very limited passing games to open up lanes for him.

mcCoy, kinda a shady dude but one of the best trades in Bills history. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

1. Peters left here in 2008 because they didn't want to pay him. Most of us knew he was good. Not on the Bills at all this past decade. 

Peters left because he had three years on his contract and his agent :devil: (because in hell) refused to negotiate other players he represented until he did.

Keep facts straight.  

2 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

I would say it proves the opposite.  What McCoy and Gore did to get on that list wasn't done in Buffalo. And the same goes for Lynch and Peters.

It's almost like we've been unable to get the most out of the players we draft, and have had to rely on the professionalism of players in their twilight looking for their jacket.

Thank God those days are over!

McCoy has some great years in Buffalo, if he laid duds his time here he wouldn't have made the list. Peters & Lynch didn't play for the Bills this decade and Gore look like he needed a wheelchair at times last year

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

People overrate GMs and coaches.  There’s like 3 who are real difference makers.  It all starts with the qb and then building the team around him.  We build our teams around Trent and JP.  That was the problem.  They drafted HOFers.

You realize the GMs and coaches are the ones drafting and building around QBs right?

If the QBs consistently suck, there is only one place to look ... 

So its the GMs and coaches after all.  And they have to both be good at the same time, and they have to share the same vision of the team.  We didn't have all three of those conditions present for two decades.  Now we do.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

1. Peters left here in 2008 because they didn't want to pay him. Most of us knew he was good. Not on the Bills at all this past decade. 

2. Lynch was jettisoned after a few off the field incidents and they just didn't feel like he fit here. Most of us knew he was good. He was only here for 4 games this last decade.

3. McCoy we got a couple of good years out of and he was on the drought-ending squad.

4. Frank Gore we just had for one year, this past year.  

It's been much more than just a missing QB around here my friend. :thumbsup: At least now we have a real GM, Scouting Dept., and coaching staff who are getting things right. 

I don't think the actual scouts were the problem. The Bills were always known to invest in scouts and 4 out of 7 pro scouts were retained by Beane

The personnel inside the department, vp of player personnel, assistant GM , director of college scouting, were not the greatest