Gin Appreciation Thread

4_kidd_4

7 hours ago, The Dean said:

Which has always led me to ask, what's with "botanical vodka"? It's gin, right? Although if there isn't juniper is it REALLY gin?

I don’t think I could have said that better myself.  Everything is advertising these days.  It’s just people sitting around asking “will this sell better if we call it gin or vodka?”

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The distillery made both vodka and gin.  The process is identical except that the gin has the extra step of added botanicals. 

Disgruntled distillery worker throws old Christmas trees into vodka vat:  How gin was invented!

On 4/6/2020 at 10:28 AM, 4_kidd_4 said:

Always been a fan of gin, but these last few years have seen an explosion in creativity and product selection, especially on the local front.

Gone are the days of G&T’s that taste like a Christmas tree, although the juniper powered standards are still around if that’s your thing. 

Juniper is what makes a grain alcohol into gin, but there are many creative distilleries that have been playing with flavor profiles and putting juniper in the back seat with some amazing results.

Locally (WNY), Black Button Distillery has been killing it, and are my local faves.  Their line includes Citrus Gin, Loganberry Gin, Lavender Gin and a throwback style Lewiston Gin, which harkens back to a sweeter “Old Tom” style.

Tommyrotter is another at the top of the local list. Their American Gin is smooth enough to sip on straight up, and is also fantastic in a G&T with a squeeze of orange and a cinnamon stick.  Their bourbon barrel aged gin is also amazing, and I would definitely recommend using it in a traditional Old Fashioned in lieu of a whiskey.

Lockhouse Distillery does great things too. Their New York Gin is easy on the juniper and very smooth. My top

pick from them is their Sakura Gin, made with cherry blossoms. It’s seasonal so get it while you can. Very smooth with floral and herbal overtones, makes a fantastic Bee’s Knees.

Craft tonic has also come a long way, it can be a bit pricey but it’s worth the try. Q and Fever Tree are at the front of that wave right now, and you can definitely taste the difference in their quality ingredients & real sugar. However if you go the classic route, I’ve found that the Canada Dry  is probably the best ‘corn syrup’ tonic available, not overly sweet or bitey. Schweppes Tonic is also decent. I would avoid the store brands altogether.

I’ve also been experimenting with simple syrups, so much you can do with honey, fruits & herbs. Happy to share some house recipes if anyone wants. Made a blackberry honey lemon-thyme syrup saturday and the wife and I killed a bottle of One Foot #### Queen City Gin (Buffalo Distilling Co., another great local!!).

So Cheers! Let’s talk gin.

meh

Scotch

Rye

Irish

Bourbon

Canadian

Those in some order for me over gin.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Disgruntled distillery worker throws old Christmas trees into vodka vat:  How gin was invented!

I really don’t care for the pine forward gins.  They’re like the super smoky scotches, just too one dimensional.  Vodka OTOH tastes like slight burning to me.  There’s nothing there to take away from the alcohol taste.  I have never been a fan.  I like Aviation gin a lot.  It’s got a lot going on so the juniper berries are not pronounced at all.  It’s my go to house gin for a martini. 

30 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I really don’t care for the pine forward gins.  They’re like the super smoky scotches, just too one dimensional.  Vodka OTOH tastes like slight burning to me.  There’s nothing there to take away from the alcohol taste.  I have never been a fan.  I like Aviation gin a lot.  It’s got a lot going on so the juniper berries are not pronounced at all.  It’s my go to house gin for a martini. 

Workin on a bottle of Aviation at our house currently. They were one of the first on board for the “gin revival”. Very smooth stuff, goes great in its namesake cocktail. Hard to find real creme de violette in stores though, usually have to make a trek to Premier to get it.

Flower City Gin is decent & punchy juniper straight forward gin out of Rochester, if any of youse juniper junkies want to try a WNY brand.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Workin on a bottle of Aviation at our house currently. They were one of the first on board for the “gin revival”. Very smooth stuff, goes great in its namesake cocktail. Hard to find real creme de violette in stores though, usually have to make a trek to Premier to get it.

Flower City Gin is decent & punchy juniper straight forward gin out of Rochester, if any of youse juniper junkies want to try a WNY brand.

Premier really is my go to to find stuff like unusual bitters. I have three different ones from there. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Premier really is my go to to find stuff like unusual bitters. I have three different ones from there. 

Ooh bitters is a whole ‘nother thread ? 

Currently in our lineup, Agnostura & Agnostura Orange, Peychaud’s, Hella Ginger & The Bitter Truth Celery.

40 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Ooh bitters is a whole ‘nother thread ? 

Currently in our lineup, Agnostura & Agnostura Orange, Peychaud’s, Hella Ginger & The Bitter Truth Celery.

Nice!  On hand I have Regans Orange, Angostura Aromatic and Scrappy’s Lavendar. 

• Like (+1) 1