Gin Appreciation Thread

4_kidd_4

I'm an old-school gin fan and don't really have that much use for these newfangled funny tasting products labeled as "gin". But I do like some of the more traditional super premium offerings, like Bombay Sapphire (though I don't care for the East product).

To me the best thing to happen to gin in the past 30 or so years is premium quinine water, such as Fever Tree and Q.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

I'm an old-school gin fan and don't really have that much use for these newfangled funny tasting products labeled as "gin". But I do like some of the more traditional super premium offerings, like Bombay Sapphire (though I don't care for the East product).

To me the best thing to happen to gin in the past 30 or so years is premium quinine water, such as Fever Tree and Q.

What I don’t understand is the weird and often fruity things that people call martinis.  I think it started with the apple-tini and went downhill from there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

What I don’t understand is the weird and often fruity things that people call martinis.  I think it started with the apple-tini and went downhill from there. 

It's alcohol for people who don't like the taste of alcohol. It ranks right up there with the "margarita beer" that Bud makes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I dislike gin so much, when I make a long island I remove the gin and double the tequila.

Tastes like turpentine or paint thinner. HARD PASS!

Now where's my scotch.  

20 hours ago, The Dean said:

I definitely have nothing against the old standards whatsoever, still enjoy London Dry style all the time, still love a good juniper smack in the yap.

Plymouth Navy Strength is always a solid go to in our house. 

But I also love the creativity and flavor profiles that are constantly evolving, especially on the local front.

I went to Dogfish Head and took the brewery and distillery tour.  The distillery made both vodka and gin.  The process is identical except that the gin has the extra step of added botanicals.  That’s literally the only difference.   Exact same everything otherwise.  I thought it was hilarious because I always said that I hated vodka but loved gin.

30 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I went to Dogfish Head and took the brewery and distillery tour.  The distillery made both vodka and gin.  The process is identical except that the gin has the extra step of added botanicals.  That’s literally the only difference.   Exact same everything otherwise.  I thought it was hilarious because I always said that I hated vodka but loved gin.

Which has always led me to ask, what's with "botanical vodka"? It's gin, right? Although if there isn't juniper is it REALLY gin?

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/6/2020 at 12:32 PM, plenzmd1 said:

Wife is a Hendricks drinker...she has a Hendricks and Tonic ( always regular Fever Tree) with one of those bowling ball ice cubes just about every day. The fever tree is expensive, like $6 for 4 pack of the 6 oz bottles. When this whole mess started she ordered a case of it from Amazon, not sure if it was cheaper there.

Every once in a while she has a drink made with Few Gin. Weird looking as it is brown in color.  Link to the one she likes below.

Me and Beefeater Gin had a real battle one night in 10th grade, Beefeater won easily...still have not had a sip of gin since that night!

https://tinyurl.com/rqd5f26

Had a similar experience with Scotch.  New Years Eve 1977.  Can't even look at it since then.  By all accounts, i had a great time at the party!