Gin Appreciation Thread

4_kidd_4

Always been a fan of gin, but these last few years have seen an explosion in creativity and product selection, especially on the local front.

Gone are the days of G&T’s that taste like a Christmas tree, although the juniper powered standards are still around if that’s your thing. 

Juniper is what makes a grain alcohol into gin, but there are many creative distilleries that have been playing with flavor profiles and putting juniper in the back seat with some amazing results.

Locally (WNY), Black Button Distillery has been killing it, and are my local faves.  Their line includes Citrus Gin, Loganberry Gin, Lavender Gin and a throwback style Lewiston Gin, which harkens back to a sweeter “Old Tom” style.

Tommyrotter is another at the top of the local list. Their American Gin is smooth enough to sip on straight up, and is also fantastic in a G&T with a squeeze of orange and a cinnamon stick.  Their bourbon barrel aged gin is also amazing, and I would definitely recommend using it in a traditional Old Fashioned in lieu of a whiskey.

Lockhouse Distillery does great things too. Their New York Gin is easy on the juniper and very smooth. My top

pick from them is their Sakura Gin, made with cherry blossoms. It’s seasonal so get it while you can. Very smooth with floral and herbal overtones, makes a fantastic Bee’s Knees.

Craft tonic has also come a long way, it can be a bit pricey but it’s worth the try. Q and Fever Tree are at the front of that wave right now, and you can definitely taste the difference in their quality ingredients & real sugar. However if you go the classic route, I’ve found that the Canada Dry  is probably the best ‘corn syrup’ tonic available, not overly sweet or bitey. Schweppes Tonic is also decent. I would avoid the store brands altogether.

I’ve also been experimenting with simple syrups, so much you can do with honey, fruits & herbs. Happy to share some house recipes if anyone wants. Made a blackberry honey lemon-thyme syrup saturday and the wife and I killed a bottle of One Foot #### Queen City Gin (Buffalo Distilling Co., another great local!!).

So Cheers! Let’s talk gin.

2 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I haven't had a good martini in months and now I'm craving one! Although I'm not nearly as well versed as you are, @4_kidd_4

My go-to gin drink is a Bombay Sapphire martini, up, filthy, extra olives (and if they're bleu cheese, even better.)

Ooh dirty dirty, MAN’S GAME!*

(*my wife kills those too lol)

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Loganberry?!  Squeeze of orange and a cinnamon stick?!  ?

Some of us philistines like Christmas trees.

Hey ain’t nothing wrong with Seagram’s & Tops Tonic. Little lime and yr good to go.

• Thank you (+1) 1

An outfit in Utica that has been making craft spirits.  I find their vodka to have too much of a taste, I don’t recall if I’ve had their gin.

http://www.adirondackdistilling.com/

An outfit in Lake Placid whose liquors I have found to be good.  “Filtered through Herkimer Diamonds”

http://www.lakeplacidspirits.com/about.php

in my family, the older generation (all are gone now) preferred Beefeaters as their “special occasion” gin, whereas the younger generation (all in their 60s now) prefer Tanqueray.

Edited by Gray Beard
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

Hendricks?

Wife is a Hendricks drinker...she has a Hendricks and Tonic ( always regular Fever Tree) with one of those bowling ball ice cubes just about every day. The fever tree is expensive, like $6 for 4 pack of the 6 oz bottles. When this whole mess started she ordered a case of it from Amazon, not sure if it was cheaper there.

Every once in a while she has a drink made with Few Gin. Weird looking as it is brown in color.  Link to the one she likes below.

Me and Beefeater Gin had a real battle one night in 10th grade, Beefeater won easily...still have not had a sip of gin since that night!

https://tinyurl.com/rqd5f26

Gin tastes terrible.

Tonic tastes terrible.

But somehow, when you mix them together (with a touch of lime juice), they produce the most perfect summertime drink.

Tanqueray is my favorite, but Seagram's is nearly as good for about half the price. I'm not a fan of "flavored" liquors, but I usually get Seagram's gin with lime juice, just to save me from having to buy limes. I don't drink G&Ts very often, so it's not worth having them in the fridge all summer.

Edited by WhoTom

25 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Wife is a Hendricks drinker...she has a Hendricks and Tonic ( always regular Fever Tree) with one of those bowling ball ice cubes just about every day.

Your wife is smarter than you...but that does not explain why she married you.

Hendricks all the way for any G&T or regular martini for the wifey & me. We were introduced to it a while back by BIL. A good custom tonic can enhance a G&T. Adding thinly sliced cukes around inside of glass also adds to flavor. Lucy’s in Jackson Ward makes a great G&T with their tonic. Hell with the food, just stop there for a G&T. 

Will give Few a taste, too. Thx

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Gin tastes terrible.

Tonic tastes terrible.

But somehow, when you mix them together (with a touch of lime juice), they produce the most perfect summertime drink.

Tanqueray is my favorite, but Seagram's is nearly as good for about half the price. I'm not a fan of "flavored" liquors, but I usually get Seagram's gin with lime juice, just to save me from having to buy limes. I don't drink G&Ts very often, so it's not worth having them in the fridge all summer.

HA! I haven’t been a liquor guy in decades, but back in college I went home with a friend for a weekend. It was a warm early summer day and we were hanging by the pool. His dad brought out gin and tonics (with lime) for us, and 40 years later I still remember how refreshing that was! 

Edited by Augie

Hendricks, yes.

The Botanist, also yes.

Beefeater is still a quality industry standard, as well as Tanqueray.

Tanqueray has expanded their lineup too, we enjoy the Malacca (peppery & spicy), Rangpur (made w rangpur limes, zesty citrus forward), and Sevilla (made w bittersweet sevilla oranges, obviously very orange forward and smooth). 

We infused some of the Sevilla with a black tea, then I made a honey-ginger syrup to go with it. Heavenly.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Me and Beefeater Gin had a real battle one night in 10th grade, Beefeater won easily...still have not had a sip of gin since that night!

Oh man, thanks for bringing up a bad memory and an even worse hangover. 

2nd to last night of Senior year at college. I was out feeling sorry for myself, because college was ending. Was at a cool dive bar at Ohio U (Tony's) and couldn't find anyone to hang out with (pre-cell-phones, kids, 2000). 

I also was on a novice gin kick, drinking G+T's as it was warm out. I decided that as soon as the Devils-Stars Game 6 was over, I would leave. Well, y'all remember THAT game..........

3OT's. I started drinking when the game started, and sat there until it ended. By the end, it was a rocks glass FULL of gin with ice, no tonic was being given by the bartender at that point. 

Yikes, the next day was brutal.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

About the same age, Napoleon Brandy. Treated it like iced tea in a tall glass. My friends called the “cool friend” of our parents asking him to drop by the next morning to see if I was still alive. Barely.....If I got a whiff of it today I would probably vomit! :sick:

• Like (+1) 1