Article about changes in how teams prepare for the draft this year

I have read several articles that teams will be conservative in their picks.  They will make the safe pick or not take a chance on a medical or personal issue without seeing the player in person.

Fortune favors the bold.  I am hoping the Bills will take BPA in rounds 2/3 at a position of need.  Then use the remaining picks as lottery tickets.  If a talented player is falling because of the safe mentality, then strike.  While they all may not pan out, the Bills could get some gold that otherwise would not be available.

• Like (+1) 2

I agree.  We are a good enough team across the board that a good veteran who is ready to play is a better use of resources and $$ than drafting a career backup.  I think they have gone for difference makers early in the draft, and then long shots with the possibilty of being a star, in the later draft.

• Like (+1) 1

This is why`players should go to the combine.  You never know...

Also, has a physical ever significantly altered the polkas for a lot of players?  Unless the player has a history of injury, I would imagine these physicals are pretty crusty--these are among the fittest humans on the planet.  

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is why`players should go to the combine.  You never know...

Also, has a physical ever significantly altered the polkas for a lot of players?  Unless the player has a history of injury, I would imagine these physicals are pretty crusty--these are among the fittest humans on the planet.  

Occasionally, certain health problems, sometimes the players themselves previously were unaware of come up (usually at the combine). Montez Sweat was one example from last year, as it was found that he had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I recall him being projected around 15ish before this was found, and then he dropped after. He was drafted 26th overall. 

4 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

Occasionally, certain health problems, sometimes the players themselves previously were unaware of come up (usually at the combine). Montez Sweat was one example from last year, as it was found that he had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I recall him being projected around 15ish before this was found, and then he dropped after. He was drafted 26th overall. 

Extreme rarity.  I think it has no effect on the draft process overall.  

Sweat was mis-diagnosed and the Skins traded back into the 1st to get him.

Edited by Mr. WEO

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bowers had knee surgery before the draft.  That's what scared GMs away.

Yes he got scoped. But I think teams found out about the possibility of degenerative arthritis during his team visits or the medical re-evaluation performed in Indianapolis on April 9th 2011

4 minutes ago, jdonley1180 said:

Yes he got scoped. But I think teams found out about the possibility of degenerative arthritis during his team visits or the medical re-evaluation performed in Indianapolis on April 9th 2011

Again, these players issues (or mis-diagnosed issues) were known at the combine.  Not applicable for the current situation.  Lack more physicals shouldn't have any impact on this process.

Bowers washed out of the league on a raft of gun charges, substance abuse suspensions and a torn achilles.  HE would have been a total disasters as a top pick.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Again, these players issues (or mis-diagnosed issues) were known at the combine.  Not applicable for the current situation.  Lack more physicals shouldn't have any impact on this process.

Bowers washed out of the league on a raft of gun charges, substance abuse suspensions and a torn achilles.  HE would have been a total disasters as a top pick.

The combine took place in February, Bowers medical re-evaluation was in April. 

"The medical re-visit is for the guys who are currently undergoing treatment, have a surgery scheduled for a condition or are not yet completely rehabilitated," Matava made clear. "For example, a player might have his ACL repaired a week before the combine, so he's going to be on crutches.

"At this stage in the recovery, we can't learn very much from an examination. We will order an X-ray to see how his graft was placed, but it's too soon to know much more than that about his recovery. These players will come back a month or two later–when they are off their crutches and are doing their rehabilitation—so we can have a better idea or how they are doing in their recuperation

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1968230-an-inside-look-into-the-nfl-medical-exam-process-at-the-combine.amp.html

8 minutes ago, jdonley1180 said:

The combine took place in February, Bowers medical re-evaluation was in April. 

"The medical re-visit is for the guys who are currently undergoing treatment, have a surgery scheduled for a condition or are not yet completely rehabilitated," Matava made clear. "For example, a player might have his ACL repaired a week before the combine, so he's going to be on crutches.

"At this stage in the recovery, we can't learn very much from an examination. We will order an X-ray to see how his graft was placed, but it's too soon to know much more than that about his recovery. These players will come back a month or two later–when they are off their crutches and are doing their rehabilitation—so we can have a better idea or how they are doing in their recuperation

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1968230-an-inside-look-into-the-nfl-medical-exam-process-at-the-combine.amp.html

Like I said...this would only be an issue with guys with known injuries or surgeries.  And all those follow up X-rays can be done right now by the players surgeon.

3 minutes ago, jdonley1180 said:

The NFL is offering a medical recheck.  If a player declines, he is free to have an evaluation pretty much anywhere outside of any team's purview.

This has been discussed in many other threads.  Any surgeon who operated on a player, or any high volume sports medicine/orthopod can do a full evaluation on any player that would answer any questions any team would have about any player.  Teams can call up the surgeon and rehab team.  The player can. release his records and all notes and test and radiologic results.  There is no need I can see where these guys would have to duplicate the same evaluation for each team that's interested.  Makes no sense before all this.

These fringe players (who already have likely fallen due to their known injuries) are free to get full assessments.  

3 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

I have read several articles that teams will be conservative in their picks.  They will make the safe pick or not take a chance on a medical or personal issue without seeing the player in person.

Fortune favors the bold.  I am hoping the Bills will take BPA in rounds 2/3 at a position of need.  Then use the remaining picks as lottery tickets.  If a talented player is falling because of the safe mentality, then strike.  While they all may not pan out, the Bills could get some gold that otherwise would not be available.

How many players did did not participate in the combine?

those who didn’t may be the concern around.  I don’t know if agents did a video workout for players who didn’t compete.

with other players you can do video interviews with so you are still talking to thrm.

i don’t think this will have a big impact on drafting players other than with some sort of baggage or reputation that can’t easily be cleansed or players who got injured and can’t get a medical exam.

52 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Like I said...this would only be an issue with guys with known injuries or surgeries.  And all those follow up X-rays can be done right now by the players surgeon.

The problem is independence and agenda.

there is a small group of doctors that are well respected and a team can trust. Many others you don’t know may have an incentive to say he’s ok.  It’s similar to doctors pushing certain meds because they are getting pharma kick backs

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The NFL is offering a medical recheck.  If a player declines, he is free to have an evaluation pretty much anywhere outside of any team's purview.

This has been discussed in many other threads.  Any surgeon who operated on a player, or any high volume sports medicine/orthopod can do a full evaluation on any player that would answer any questions any team would have about any player.  Teams can call up the surgeon and rehab team.  The player can. release his records and all notes and test and radiologic results.  There is no need I can see where these guys would have to duplicate the same evaluation for each team that's interested.  Makes no sense before all this.

These fringe players (who already have likely fallen due to their known injuries) are free to get full assessments.  

Prpblem is...settings used in a CT Or MRI that can show things a normal setting wouldn’t 

for example ......a specialized low  CT scan of the lungs can reveal some respiratory conditions in early stages like COPD in folks in their 50s before it becomes bad.

Edited by djp14150

2 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

The problem is independence and agenda.

there is a small group of doctors that are well respected and a team can trust. Many others you don’t know may have an incentive to say he’s ok.  It’s similar to doctors pushing certain meds because they are getting pharma kick backs

As they are not affiliated with a team, they are independent.  This is in obvious contrast to the team physician's, by the way...

And they aren't asking about some drug or product, they would be asking "is this body part fully healed and is there any obvious limitations on this players function and is there a significant chance of re-injury".. That's it.  Pretty straightforward.  

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

As they are not affiliated with a team, they are independent.  This is in obvious contrast to the team physician's, by the way...

And they aren't asking about some drug or product, they would be asking "is this body part fully healed and is there any obvious limitations on this players function and is there a significant chance of re-injury".. That's it.  Pretty straightforward.  

A dr who is used by the agent may have an incentive not to red flag his clients.

similsrly a team doctor is going to be overly protective of team interests and doesn’t have objectivity when it comes to player asking for injury compensation  when they got cut and teams won’t sign him because of an injury found.

its about credibility.  A prosecutor office have staff psychologists who can evaluate those charged in their mental health at their time of crime.  If one of these has a 99% rate of suspect is fine has little credibility vs someone who has questions on 50% of cases given.

Edited by djp14150
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

A dr who is used by the agent may have an incentive not to red flag his clients.

similsrly a team doctor is going to be overly protective of team interests and doesn’t have objectivity when it comes to player asking for unbury compensation  when they got cut and teams won’t sign him because of an injury found.

The team would chose the evaluator.  Not the agent.  That doctor could talk to the surgeon.  This is done everywhere all the time.  

4 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

BPA is the best approach.  You are correct in stating that we go play needs in the later rounds.

My wish is to get a db or ol in the early rounds if it falls that way.