Carruci: Bills not pursuing Cam Newton

On 4/5/2020 at 10:51 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

Let's say the Bills did not have Josh Allen, but rather Ryan Tannehill (or equivalent) as the QB, does anyone think Beane would pursue Cam Newton?  Not sure if the Carolina connection is strong enough to overlook Cam acting like Cam usually does - a crybaby.

I think the biggest problem with Cam right now is his health -- and the inability of teams to actually assess that -- rather than any personality issues. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

I think the biggest problem with Cam right now is his health -- and the inability of teams to actually assess that -- rather than any personality issues. 

Yeah, I think any attitude issues are more from what fans believe/perceive there to be with him. There may be some concerns with not being able to evaluate him themselves over his health, but I think it's more to do with him getting released late and the QB market drying up before the draft. Teams may turn back to him after the draft and closer to training camp 

• Like (+1) 1

There aren't enough haberdashers in Buffalo for his liking anyway.

And who would sell him exotic bird feathers to stick in the band? He'd have to go to the bird place on the Canadian side of Niagara. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Let's not even talk about the pocket square situation.

Priorities, people. Priorities.

• Haha (+1) 3

On 4/6/2020 at 11:34 PM, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Go back and watch some of Newton's antics on the sidelines when things weren't going his way or maybe some of his press conference performances after losses.  Hardly the actions of a positive leader.  It always seemed that Newton was constantly striving to make everything be about him.  There is a reason that Carolina let him walk and it was more than just injuries.  If you were a GM of a team and knew you had a player as good as Cam Newton had been, wouldn't you give him the chance to completely recover from his surgeries before deciding to cut him loose?  Wouldn't you want to see how he looked in training camp before deciding you were through with him?  Wouldn't you want to show other teams that he was still a very capable player so you could create some trade value?  Carolina didn't because they decided he wasn't worth the time, money or the effort of the organization and they didn't want him around.  It almost seemed to me that Cam's late release was done vindictively, indicating to me that they were unhappy with him.  All of the decent signing opportunities and pay opportunities were filled.  That isn't the way organizations part company with a player on good terms.  Carolina really stuck it to him.

I for one have never had a problem with Newton talking trash or doing his Superman thing.  In fact when I think of the big trash talkers in the league, Newton doesn't even come to mind.  Since you brought it up, Rivers talking trash is pathetic.  With his level of poor on field play, he shouldn't be talking trash to anyone. 

As far as Newton being a problem in a Bills locker room, I believe it would be inevitable.  Newton has a diva type personality.  Beane has shown through the players that he has drafted or signed that he doesn't want that kind of influence on the team.  He has stacked the roster with players that go about their jobs without a lot of fanfare and act professionally.

I believe Newton will be starting games before the end of the season.  It will probably take a season ending injury to a QB on a team that has a chance to make the playoffs.  When that happens, he'll probably be the first guy that is sought out.  I also expect that he will play well as long as he is healthy.

Good post but didn’t we just acquire Diggs, who had full on temper tantrums during wins?  Also Brady has screamed at his coaches on the sidelines on camera. Marino would turn red screaming at his teammates and coaches.  I’m telling you. Cam gets treated a lot different than most qbs.  His outfits are stupid and sometimes he lets his emotions get away.  But I’ve heard nothing but good things about him as a leader in the lockerroom.

2 years ago, he was completing 67% of his passes and was in the MVP conversation.  Then he hurt his shoulder.  The only reason he isn’t signed is because team’s doctors can’t check them out themselves.  Also, the Panthers completely screwed him by releasing when they did.  Maybe the Bears sign him instead of trading for a way more expensive and less talented Foles.  Either way, I hope is healthy and gets a chance to start next year.  I think he has a lot to prove.

46 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good post but didn’t we just acquire Diggs, who had full on temper tantrums during wins?  Also Brady has screamed at his coaches on the sidelines on camera. Marino would turn red screaming at his teammates and coaches.  I’m telling you. Cam gets treated a lot different than most qbs.  His outfits are stupid and sometimes he lets his emotions get away.  But I’ve heard nothing but good things about him as a leader in the lockerroom.

2 years ago, he was completing 67% of his passes and was in the MVP conversation.  Then he hurt his shoulder.  The only reason he isn’t signed is because team’s doctors can’t check them out themselves.  Also, the Panthers completely screwed him by releasing when they did.  Maybe the Bears sign him instead of trading for a way more expensive and less talented Foles.  Either way, I hope is healthy and gets a chance to start next year.  I think he has a lot to prove.

He may end up in Jacksonville after the draft and when the travel ban is lifted.  Most people think it will be the Chargers but they are in position to get one of the top three QB's in the draft.  They will use Tyrod until the new guy is ready.  Jacksonville is not in position to get one of the top guys and has many holes to fill in the draft.  They have a coaching staff that is hanging on by a thread and Minshew will likely get them all fired.  In addition, for a team that has trouble selling seats (I know because I've been to several games there) think of the draw that Newton would be for them. In addition, they were able to get out of the terrible Foles contract and free up cap money to get a better QB on the roster. Newton would probably see it as an opportunity to get back at Carolina twice a season. It makes too much sense for it not to happen.  If Carolina hadn't stuck it to him, the Bears or Raiders could have been logical landing spots.  If none of this plays out, a healthy Newton will be the first guy sought out when a good team loses their starting QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hardhatharry said:

Just a joke, just like the story as if Cam Newton was on anyone's mind.

As much as he may not have been on some people’s minds, there were plenty of tweets, radio calls etc about it so addressing it directly seems pretty normal 

Edited by YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd give Winston a shot for backup money.  Cam is too much of a diva and I never got that he really loved the game or took his job seriously.

Have you ever seen the punishment that Cam took? And he won a Heisman and MVP.  What could he do if he took his job serious then???

and I want the best possible team.  So if Winston is our backup, that would be a huge upgrade over Barkley.  But what if Winston is the better qb in camp over Allen, which is a very realistic possible? What happens then?

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cam - maybe if he has to take a back up job. 

jameis -  no

Our backup qb has almost double the int % of Winston. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Have you ever seen the punishment that Cam took? And he won a Heisman and MVP.  What could he do if he took his job serious then???

Physical ability can take you far, especially in college.  And he could be an all-time great.  To me he seems checked-out.