Carruci: Bills not pursuing Cam Newton

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Even given the fact that Beane knows Cam's character and tendencies?  I'm not so sure, though I am interested in what others think.

No one ever accused Newton of not working hard.  His teammates seem to love him.  When healthy he is better than most other QBs.  No brainer if you have a Tannehill type of QB.  Having a big personality or a prickly personality doesn't negate the talent.  He does a lot of good on and off the field.  We aren't talking about a guy who gets in trouble with the law, so I don't know why it would be a question if all a team had was a bridge QB.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Barkley isn’t good enough.  It’s painfully obvious.  He has a 21% int ratio (Winston is at 3.5!).  But I do slightly understand why they don’t want to bring in a guy that could beat Allen out in camp.  But given our qb play last year, I think any decent qb could win games if Allen got hurt. 

I think you need to recheck your info.  Barkley has 3.9% int ratio as a Bill and 6.1% career.

I want to upgrade him if possible too but 21% is crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think you need to recheck your info.  Barkley has 3.9% int ratio as a Bill and 6.1% career.

Haha, you’re right!  He has 21 ints to 10 tds.  Quarantine is making me dyslexic. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, you’re right!  He has 21 ints to 10 tds.  Quarantine is making me dyslexic. 

LOL, that makes a lot more sense.  I think they end up keeping Barkley for 1 more year but I would like to see a change soon.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Cam is still young enough to not consider a backup role yet.  If no teams bites after the draft (like you are saying) he may just sit back and get healthy

and wait to see what happens during the year.  Why tie yourself down to a backup role for 5 million.  He would kick himself is he did

and a starter went down early in the year.

I think hes better than a lot of QBs, especially if you build an O around him

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

That he's a whiner and pouts when he doesn't get his way.  In general, an entitled baby.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Cam Newton was the victim of refs regularly turning a blind eye to what should have been roughing the passer calls for at least one entire season.  He deserved to b!tch about that.

I don't think he handles himself well in press conferences at times.  I do think there is somewhat of an immaturity issue there.

But, by all accounts, he has always been a very hard worker and a great teammate; and a guy who's played through injury for a lot of his career.

Agreed. He is not at all whiny like some of his detractors. 

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Facts never get way of irrational rants.

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Cam is still young enough to not consider a backup role yet.  If no teams bites after the draft (like you are saying) he may just sit back and get healthy

and wait to see what happens during the year.  Why tie yourself down to a backup role for 5 million.  He would kick himself is he did

and a starter went down early in the year.

This is a big part of it IMO.  No way is Cam going (almost) anywhere he can’t compete for a starting job.  Maybe KC to play for Mahomes if he gets injured for a few games and possibly win a SB.  It’s a short list though.  No way would he come to Buffalo to back up Allen unless he thought he’d take the job from him.  And it would certainly be a slap in the face to Allen and almost guarantee a QB controversy.  That likely would not be good for him.  Even if he took that kind of competition in stride, it could divide the team if some players would clamber for Cam.  In particular, Diggs wasn’t shy about making his feelings about his last QB known.  All for a QB at the end of his career?  A guy who hasn’t stayed healthy the last couple seasons and hasn’t been able to play at the level he once did.  But with his years of starting experience, his #1 overall draft status and the hype that would follow him I see some fans (and possibly some players) clinging to that.  It likely would be a disaster.  I’m very happy to see Beane publicly disavow any interest.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Barkley isn’t good enough.  It’s painfully obvious.  He has a 21% int ratio (Winston is at 3.5!).  But I do slightly understand why they don’t want to bring in a guy that could beat Allen out in camp.  But given our qb play last year, I think any decent qb could win games if Allen got hurt. 

I highly doubt Winston would beat Allen out in camp lol. Winston is not that good and can’t read NFL defenses

19 hours ago, Augie said:

Cam would be a terrible addition, IMO. Panther knowledge can be good in two ways, when to say yes, and when to say NO. 

Bingo!

Cam seems like a poor choice to teach a young QB how to play the game. I remember how reckless Cam was in those first few years, throwing his body into the fray.

Glad to see Vic is still working. Wonder if Bills inquired at all. I’m guessing they did, out of respect for Cam, and you never know if he’d be available if the Bills needed a QB. 

9 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Glad to see Vic is still working. Wonder if Bills inquired at all. I’m guessing they did, out of respect for Cam, and you never know if he’d be available if the Bills needed a QB. 

He said they have not inquired, Actually out of respect to him because they assume he wants to start unless told otherwise 

"I think Cam is going to look to go find a starting role," Beane said.“

“So we really haven't approached it. I'm sure, if that's something that he and his agent wanted to pursue, they would have called us and let us know."

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Dalton will be cut to save that money.  Good luck finding someone to trade with to take on that contract.  So once he's a free agent I'm sure there will be a lot of bitters.  A banged up Flacco, Newton, and a mistake prone Winston is far superior to Matt Barkley.  I mean only if you intend on still competing if Allen goes down for some reason.  If not you're just tanking for a higher draft pick.

I doubt cinci is gonna cut Dalton, they have no other veteran QBs on their roster to mentor Burrow. 

• Like (+1) 1

I must have missed when anyone at all thought the Bills were interested in Cam. 

?????? Anyone?

Is it only because they seem to sign a majority of Panther castoffs? 

It's just funny that the first I hear of any possible interest is a statement that they are not interested. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention because the idea was too absurd to consider.

I have read that Cam is a good teammate, works hard and does a lot of charity work, and yes he was in effect abused by the zebras not calling obvious ruffing the passer penalties, his biggest drawback is his public pouting image which is what most fan types see, that and not going after that fumble. I am certain He can still play the game well, but as to fit? Likely not in Buffalo. For all most of us know his public image is likely undeserved. 

56 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I doubt cinci is gonna cut Dalton, they have no other veteran QBs on their roster to mentor Burrow. 

Paying 17.5 million for a backup is silly.  Especially when there's no dead cap money in releasing him.  Unless he's willing to rework his contract (why would he?), I don't see him sticking around.  If the Bengals can't trade him they'll likely cut him after the draft. 

11 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Where are the reports of coaches and players saying one negative thing about Cam in the lockerroom?  We also traded for Benjamin who was a fat loser in Carolina.   

The Majority of the people who have the most problem with Newton are grumpy (normally older) fans who think Rivers trash talking is a good ol’ boy having fun and when Newton does it, he’s a problem in the lockerroom. 

he isn’t coming here and he shouldn’t.  He’s too good to be a backup for Allen.  I just hope he’s healthy and gets to shut people up.  I’ve never seen a good qb take as much crap as he does.  

Go back and watch some of Newton's antics on the sidelines when things weren't going his way or maybe some of his press conference performances after losses.  Hardly the actions of a positive leader.  It always seemed that Newton was constantly striving to make everything be about him.  There is a reason that Carolina let him walk and it was more than just injuries.  If you were a GM of a team and knew you had a player as good as Cam Newton had been, wouldn't you give him the chance to completely recover from his surgeries before deciding to cut him loose?  Wouldn't you want to see how he looked in training camp before deciding you were through with him?  Wouldn't you want to show other teams that he was still a very capable player so you could create some trade value?  Carolina didn't because they decided he wasn't worth the time, money or the effort of the organization and they didn't want him around.  It almost seemed to me that Cam's late release was done vindictively, indicating to me that they were unhappy with him.  All of the decent signing opportunities and pay opportunities were filled.  That isn't the way organizations part company with a player on good terms.  Carolina really stuck it to him.

I for one have never had a problem with Newton talking trash or doing his Superman thing.  In fact when I think of the big trash talkers in the league, Newton doesn't even come to mind.  Since you brought it up, Rivers talking trash is pathetic.  With his level of poor on field play, he shouldn't be talking trash to anyone. 

As far as Newton being a problem in a Bills locker room, I believe it would be inevitable.  Newton has a diva type personality.  Beane has shown through the players that he has drafted or signed that he doesn't want that kind of influence on the team.  He has stacked the roster with players that go about their jobs without a lot of fanfare and act professionally.

I believe Newton will be starting games before the end of the season.  It will probably take a season ending injury to a QB on a team that has a chance to make the playoffs.  When that happens, he'll probably be the first guy that is sought out.  I also expect that he will play well as long as he is healthy.