Carruci: Bills not pursuing Cam Newton

2 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

It would be a cap killing move and would hurt the culture in the locker room.  Beane has seen Newton in person and knows the risks.

Where are the reports of coaches and players saying one negative thing about Cam in the lockerroom?  We also traded for Benjamin who was a fat loser in Carolina.   

The Majority of the people who have the most problem with Newton are grumpy (normally older) fans who think Rivers trash talking is a good ol’ boy having fun and when Newton does it, he’s a problem in the lockerroom. 

he isn’t coming here and he shouldn’t.  He’s too good to be a backup for Allen.  I just hope he’s healthy and gets to shut people up.  I’ve never seen a good qb take as much crap as he does.  

13 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Let's say the Bills did not have Josh Allen, but rather Ryan Tannehill (or equivalent) as the QB, does anyone think Beane would pursue Cam Newton?  Not sure if the Carolina connection is strong enough to overlook Cam acting like Cam usually does - a crybaby.

In your scenario, Beane damn sure would pursue him if he had any common sense.

7 minutes ago, purple haze said:

In your scenario, Beane damn sure would pursue him if he had any common sense.

Even given the fact that Beane knows Cam's character and tendencies?  I'm not so sure, though I am interested in what others think.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Carolina connection that tons of people love to point to anytime one of their former players are released  - McBeane and Ken Dorsey know him better than any other team in the league except for redskins who already traded for Kyle Allen. And the Bills need another QB, most people agree that they could/should upgrade at QB2. Every day I see something like this on twitter or people calling into the radio 

Would Cam be open to coming in as a backup? Probably not but it may be either that or no offer at all. 

why not ask Beane instead of just assuming they aren’t pursuing him? No one knows for sure what front offices are doing or thinking. 

That was my thinking.  If Cam had no opportunity to compete for a staring position, the Bills would be a logical option Fir him to serve as a backup.

41 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Might be unpopular choices but what about Moore or McCown? Certainly it’s better than Bortles, Glennon and Flacco. 

Flacco is far away the best of that group.  Shoot, he may look better in camp than Allen.  But he would be the best backup choice. 

10 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Even given the fact that Beane knows Cam's character and tendencies?  I'm not so sure, though I am interested in what others think.

Again, where are the character concerns about Newton from Carolina???  Yeah, I’m sure They hated Newton when they went to the SB which helped them all get better jobs. 

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Lots of hate on this board for a guy who went 15-1 and won an MVP award with Ted Ginn and Philly Brown as his primary targets

No hate from me on Cam I think it right system and healthy he is very dangerous QB. He was NFL Offense player of the year in 2015.  

I think a lot of hate has nothing to do with football.

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Again, where are the character concerns about Newton from Carolina???  Yeah, I’m sure They hated Newton when they went to the SB which helped them all get better jobs. 

That he's a whiner and pouts when he doesn't get his way.  In general, an entitled baby.

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

That he's a whiner and pouts when he doesn't get his way.  In general, an entitled baby.

Yeah, you didn’t answer my question.  Where are the guys who actually play with him, and not sit on the couch, say he is a bad teammate?

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Cam Newton was the victim of refs regularly turning a blind eye to what should have been roughing the passer calls for at least one entire season.  He deserved to b!tch about that.

I don't think he handles himself well in press conferences at times.  I do think there is somewhat of an immaturity issue there.

But, by all accounts, he has always been a very hard worker and a great teammate; and a guy who's played through injury for a lot of his career.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Is anyone really "pursuing" Newton?

I feel like some team will shrug and say "fine, we'll give him a shot" but hardly a pursuit. 

That said, I think he still has some game left. Some team will get a bargain. I'm not saying he is MVP level still, but I think he can still play. 

I think with covid-19 and the inability to get him in with your doctors, his unique fit (he is not a fit for all offenses), and only recent full availability hindered his ability to find a team.  With the draft coming up you'll see how teams address the position like NE, LAC, Miami, Jax, Wash.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think with covid-19 and the inability to get him in with your doctors, his unique fit (he is not a fit for all offenses), and only recent full availability hindered his ability to find a team.  With the draft coming up you'll see how teams address the position like NE, LAC, Miami, Jax, Wash.  

Cam is still young enough to not consider a backup role yet.  If no teams bites after the draft (like you are saying) he may just sit back and get healthy

and wait to see what happens during the year.  Why tie yourself down to a backup role for 5 million.  He would kick himself is he did

and a starter went down early in the year.

27 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, you didn’t answer my question.  Where are the guys who actually play with him, and not sit on the couch, say he is a bad teammate?

No idea, though I don't pay attention to the Panthers, in general.  I personally think Cam is on the immature side.  Interesting that the new regime just cut him rather than keeping him on the team if Cam was that valuable going forward; should say all you need to know.

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Cam Newton was the victim of refs regularly turning a blind eye to what should have been roughing the passer calls for at least one entire season.  He deserved to b!tch about that.

I don't think he handles himself well in press conferences at times.  I do think there is somewhat of an immaturity issue there.

But, by all accounts, he has always been a very hard worker and a great teammate; and a guy who's played through injury for a lot of his career.

Absolutely agree with the first sentence.  Not all QBs got the Tom Brady treatment.

The new coaching staff chose not to retain Cam and release him, which tells me all I need to know.

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

No idea, though I don't pay attention to the Panthers, in general.  I personally think Cam is on the immature side.  Interesting that the new regime just cut him rather than keeping him on the team if Cam was that valuable going forward; should say all you need to know.

Absolutely agree with the first sentence.  Not all QBs got the Tom Brady treatment.

The new coaching staff chose not to retain Cam and release him, which tells me all I need to know.

I think it's more likely that he's just damaged goods.  I could be biased.  I've always liked Cam Newton.  I also think a lot of those "missed" calls were due to his size and nothing else.  We've already seen similar treatment with Josh Allen not getting egregious roughing calls.

I'd love to see Cam come back and have a few good seasons.  But not in Buffalo.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think it's more likely that he's just damaged goods.  I could be biased.  I've always liked Cam Newton.  I also think a lot of those "missed" calls were due to his size and nothing else.  We've already seen similar treatment with Josh Allen not getting egregious roughing calls.

I'd love to see Cam come back and have a few good seasons.  But not in Buffalo.

Maybe the QB's size has something to do with it.  Another point is mobility; the more mobile, the more the QB should be viewed as a QB/RB combo.  Did Big Ben not get roughing calls?  I don't recall.  He is a bigger QB and used to scramble often enough.

7 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Dalton is under contract for 17 million this year, no ones trading for a  1 year 17 million rental, Flacco is banged up and didn’t pass his physical which lead to his release , Newton is banged up as well and won’t settle for being a back up and Winston minus his INT problem has off field and character issues that Beane and McD won’t put up with. I’m sure we draft a QB in round 5 or 6

Dalton will be cut to save that money.  Good luck finding someone to trade with to take on that contract.  So once he's a free agent I'm sure there will be a lot of bitters.  A banged up Flacco, Newton, and a mistake prone Winston is far superior to Matt Barkley.  I mean only if you intend on still competing if Allen goes down for some reason.  If not you're just tanking for a higher draft pick.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Dalton will be cut to save that money.  Good luck finding someone to trade with to take on that contract.  So once he's a free agent I'm sure there will be a lot of bitters.  A banged up Flacco, Newton, and a mistake prone Winston is far superior to Matt Barkley.  I mean only if you intend on still competing if Allen goes down for some reason.  If not you're just tanking for a higher draft pick.

This team is set up to win with almost any decent qb.  Barkley is not a decent qb.  But he’s nice and Allen like him so that’s all that matters. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This team is set up to win with almost any decent qb.  Barkley is not a decent qb.  But he’s nice and Allen like him so that’s all that matters. 

Normally I'd trust Beane and McDermott to make the right call and look to upgrade.........but they thought it was a good idea to start Nathan Peterman so I don't trust them when it comes to QB's.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Normally I'd trust Beane and McDermott to make the right call and look to upgrade.........but they thought it was a good idea to start Nathan Peterman so I don't trust them when it comes to QB's.

Barkley isn’t good enough.  It’s painfully obvious.  He has a 21% int ratio (Winston is at 3.5!).  But I do slightly understand why they don’t want to bring in a guy that could beat Allen out in camp.  But given our qb play last year, I think any decent qb could win games if Allen got hurt.