Carruci: Bills not pursuing Cam Newton

Lots of hate on this board for a guy who went 15-1 and won an MVP award with Ted Ginn and Philly Brown as his primary targets

I'd encourage people to watch the all or nothing with the Panthers a few years ago. Definitely  changed my perspective on Cam

I get he wants to be a starter and frankly he should be. If Covid-19 wasnt happening right now, hed be in someones facility getting a physical and a contract

• Like (+1) 1

Well this comes under the category of  “this had zero chance of ever happening”  Talk about stating the obvious, 

Go Bills!!!

13 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Well this comes under the category of  “this had zero chance of ever happening”  Talk about stating the obvious, 

Go Bills!!!

Personally I think there is still a possibility that he could if he doesn’t land a starting job somewhere and still wants to play. Sorry ? I know many do not want it to but...

- they need to upgrade at QB2

- Cam would be an upgrade 

- Josh no longer needs (or should need) that “atta boy” type like Barkley to help him understand how to prepare etc. At this point the Bills need a QB they can actually feel good about putting in the game if josh gets hurt, that’s where we are at. 
- Ken Dorsey is our QB coach and knows exactly what Cam’s strengths and weaknesses are

- assuming they go with a vet at QB2 Instead if a rookie, this is a unique year where familiarity is king. 
- josh’s style has often been compared to Cam so if cam had to play it wouldn’t mean changing the offense 

- I don’t think his “personality” is that big of deal to McBeane unless he’s in front of a microphone which he wouldn’t be as a backup 

- this is obviously only if he doesn’t have a starting opportunity anywhere - which is actually what Beane said. He said they aren’t pursuing him *because* they believe he wants to be a starter 

- my prediction though is that Cam waits to see if any injuries happen in TC to a starter and signs at that point 

Edited by YoloinOhio

I know people hate on the idea but I’m not totally against it. here is why:

- familiarity

- if Josh Allen goes down, our season is toast. I know this is true for many teams but not many teams have cap flexibility to add a quality QB. 
- if healthy Cam is about as good as JA can hope to become. 
- our roster is ready to compete. I like Josh Allen. He’s proven to be decent to this point. Lots of warts in his game make him a bit of an Unknown in terms of leading a team to a super bowl. Cam Newton health permitted has been an MVP level QB. A few years removed from the MVP seasons but I wouldn’t put it past him just yet to have success. 

I understand the negatives. And I personally don’t see it happening. But if it did I wouldn’t be too shocked. I also wouldn’t be too shocked to see Cam steal the job if healthy. I feel people have forgotten just how good Cam Newton has been in his career. 

45 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Front office intention does not always match up with coaching staff which is why current partnership is working so well.

Chan Gailey's offense system is extremely complex as we saw in Buffalo and New Jersey; much more complex than it was when he was OC in Pittsburgh and Kansas City.  It greatly depends upon the QB being able to juggle many different factors both in huddle and out of it.  He does try to adapt it to personnel rather than some coaches who need the right player but some QBs just do not fit IMO. Cam Newton when healthy is a physical marvel but not going to be able to take advantage of why Dolphins hired Cam.  I do think Dolphins hired Chan because of QB they have (Fitzpatrick) but not entirely.

Fair points. I guess I also factor in that Norv Turner runs a pretty complex system, and he did alright digesting that. At least in year one. He didn’t light the world on fire, but had a decent season. No question, Fitz is a sharp guy (have you heard he went to Harvard? ?) and has a ton of experience in Chan’s offense which probably makes him a better fit in the short term. Especially, if we are looking at a truncated offseason. 

If we didnt have Allen and had a poor QB situation with a Fitzpatrick or Tyrod as our current starter, there is no question in my mind Cam would be brought in by this management group to be our guy. 

1 minute ago, Irish Dave said:

It would be cool to have Fitz come back here, be the back up and mentor Josh and finish his career here.  He said recently that when he pictures himself as a football player, it's in a Bills Uniform.....

I could see that too but the “Fitz Cycle” scares me too much 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Irish Dave said:

It would be cool to have Fitz come back here, be the back up and mentor Josh and finish his career here.  He said recently that when he pictures himself as a football player, it's in a Bills Uniform.....

Unfortunately I think this is most likely his last year as he’ll most likely retire with Miami. It would be cool to have a Fitz/Buffalo type of reunion. Who knows maybe after this year he might still want to play and maybe he’ll go back to the team he spent the most time with

Is anyone really "pursuing" Newton?

I feel like some team will shrug and say "fine, we'll give him a shot" but hardly a pursuit. 

That said, I think he still has some game left. Some team will get a bargain. I'm not saying he is MVP level still, but I think he can still play. 

Thank goodness !! I would have to root for a player that i can't stand & the Bills would have to pay the guy way too much money to be a back up & cause a QB controversy . I think it would be foolish to even look in his direction he has a bigger than life aura about him & he's not going to be happy being a back up & it would only cause a bigger distraction than help IMHO ! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Personally I think there is still a possibility that he could if he doesn’t land a starting job somewhere and still wants to play. Sorry ? I know many do not want it to but...

- they need to upgrade at QB2

- Cam would be an upgrade 

- Josh no longer needs (or should need) that “atta boy” type like Barkley to help him understand how to prepare etc. At this point the Bills need a QB they can actually feel good about putting in the game if josh gets hurt, that’s where we are at. 
- Ken Dorsey is our QB coach and knows exactly what Cam’s strengths and weaknesses are

- assuming they go with a vet at QB2 Instead if a rookie, this is a unique year where familiarity is king. 
- josh’s style has often been compared to Cam so if cam had to play it wouldn’t mean changing the offense 

- I don’t think his “personality” is that big of deal to McBeane unless he’s in front of a microphone which he wouldn’t be as a backup 

- this is obviously only if he doesn’t have a starting opportunity anywhere - which is actually what Beane said. He said they aren’t pursuing him *because* they believe he wants to be a starter 

- my prediction though is that Cam waits to see if any injuries happen in TC to a starter and signs at that point 

Okay, so your sayin there’s a chance...

?

Go Bills!!!