Carruci: Bills not pursuing Cam Newton

31 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I ever thought this would happen given Beane’s comments.  It would be like Flutie/Johnson all over again.

What a ***** show that was lol. Although that’s when we should’ve traded for Bledsoe. We traded for him a few years too late. You put Bledsoe on that 98-99 team and we definitely go the Super Bowl and probably win 1 if not 2. Looking back on it now, the Flutie/Robo Sack combo did more damage than help. And completely divided our locker room, and I used to be a huge Flutie fan lol

Edited by BuffaloBills1998
  • Like (+1) 1

It wasn't a flat out denial and Newton may have to settle for a backup spot.  I also am encouraged that Beane didn't give a definitive "Barkley is our backup.  Period."  Hope we try to upgrade to Dalton, Flacco, Newton, or Winston in that order.

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It wasn't a flat out denial and Newton may have to settle for a backup spot.  I also am encouraged that Beane didn't give a definitive "Barkley is our backup.  Period."  Hope we try to upgrade to Dalton, Flacco, Newton, or Winston in that order.

Dalton is under contract for 17 million this year, no ones trading for a  1 year 17 million rental, Flacco is banged up and didn’t pass his physical which lead to his release , Newton is banged up as well and won’t settle for being a back up and Winston minus his INT problem has off field and character issues that Beane and McD won’t put up with. I’m sure we draft a QB in round 5 or 6

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Why would they? 

Carolina connection that tons of people love to point to anytime one of their former players are released  - McBeane and Ken Dorsey know him better than any other team in the league except for redskins who already traded for Kyle Allen. And the Bills need another QB, most people agree that they could/should upgrade at QB2. Every day I see something like this on twitter or people calling into the radio 

Would Cam be open to coming in as a backup? Probably not but it may be either that or no offer at all. 

why not ask Beane instead of just assuming they aren’t pursuing him? No one knows for sure what front offices are doing or thinking. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know I should be paying more attention, but I just haven’t been.

So, that said, who is the Denver QB and is Cam a possibility there?

Drew Locke. I think he’s a possibility but not as they starter. They probably want to continue to develop Locke. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Not surprising. The more interesting question is who could you actually see Cam being willing to sit behind? That is, if backup jobs are all that’s available. Let’s face it, Cam is a unique individual. Outside of Brady, Brees, and maybe Rothlisberger, who else would he agree to sit behind? I don’t see many scenarios where he’d be willing to sit behind a starter he feels he’s better than. 

Personally, if he’s healthy, I think he would make the Dolphins a pretty dangerous team. At least until whatever QB they are likely to draft is ready to go. If that’s Tua then he can sit for the whole year until he’s healed and ready. He’s more talented than Fitz. Pats would also be an interesting choice, but they are pressed soundly against the cap from Brady’s parting gift. Maybe the Chargers too, but they seem committed to rolling with Tyrod and a rookie. 

Bringing in Cam with Chan Gailey makes absolutely no sense.

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bills not pursuing former Panthers QB Cam Newton

https://buffalonews.com/2020/04/05/buffalo-bills-cam-newton-josh-allen-carolina-panthers-brandon-beane-nfl-football/

It would be surprising if they were but I guess this confirms what we suspected. 

that is great news.  No room for a pouty, me first player whose best years look to be far behind him.  Let's add to that pile, that, in my opinion was never that great to begin with.  yes, he piled up some stats for a few years, but it didn't translate to championships. 

5 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He should just retire and call it a career, he’s already got 2 rings and nothing left to prove. He’s been talking about retirement for how long now? Should’ve retired 2-3 years ago

Pats don’t have the money for Cam, and I don’t think The emperor and newton  would get along to well lol. This is the same guy that ran Kosar out of Cleveland because he didn’t like him

But just imagine Newton and Belichick exchanging wardrobe ideas. ?

• Haha (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Drew lock. He was drafted last year in the 2nd(I think). IIRC he had a good game or two last year and they’re going with him at qb 

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Drew Locke. I think he’s a possibility but not as they starter. They probably want to continue to develop Locke. 

33 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

I think they like Drew Lock.

thank you, gents.

i knew they had lock and I should have stated that, my bad.

what you guys all informed me on is how Denver feels about him, which is what I honestly had no idea about.  Really, I didn’t.  I paid no attention to them at all other than when we played them...or a random game on Sunday ticket.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Bringing in Cam with Chan Gailey makes absolutely no sense.

Care to explain? If I recall my timeline correctly, Buddy Nix was planning to draft him when Chan was here. But Cam was taken #1. If he was good enough for him then, I see no reason he wouldn’t work for him now. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheProcess said:

Care to explain? If I recall my timeline correctly, Buddy Nix was planning to draft him when Chan was here. But Cam was taken #1. If he was good enough for him then, I see no reason he wouldn’t work for him now. 

Front office intention does not always match up with coaching staff which is why current partnership is working so well.

Chan Gailey's offense system is extremely complex as we saw in Buffalo and New Jersey; much more complex than it was when he was OC in Pittsburgh and Kansas City.  It greatly depends upon the QB being able to juggle many different factors both in huddle and out of it.  He does try to adapt it to personnel rather than some coaches who need the right player but some QBs just do not fit IMO. Cam Newton when healthy is a physical marvel but not going to be able to take advantage of why Dolphins hired Cam.  I do think Dolphins hired Chan because of QB they have (Fitzpatrick) but not entirely.