Carruci: Bills not pursuing Cam Newton

Bills not pursuing former Panthers QB Cam Newton

Bills General Manager Brandon Beane said Sunday the Bills "haven't had any conversations" about signing the free agent quarterback to be a backup to Josh Allen, who is firmly entrenched as the team's starter.

Beane also said he believes Newton, whom the Panthers made the top overall pick of the 2011 draft while Beane was in their front office, isn't interested in being an understudy.

"I think Cam is going to look to go find a starting role," Beane said. "Knowing him, I'm sure that's probably come up in his conversations with Carolina. Cam Newton, and rightfully so, views himself as a starter and I would think Cam Newton is going to exhaust all of those options before he's going to settle for (being) a backup in this league.

"So we really haven't approached it. I'm sure, if that's something that he and his agent wanted to pursue, they would have called us and let us know."

https://buffalonews.com/2020/04/05/buffalo-bills-cam-newton-josh-allen-carolina-panthers-brandon-beane-nfl-football/

It would be surprising if they were but I guess this confirms what we suspected. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let's say the Bills did not have Josh Allen, but rather Ryan Tannehill (or equivalent) as the QB, does anyone think Beane would pursue Cam Newton?  Not sure if the Carolina connection is strong enough to overlook Cam acting like Cam usually does - a crybaby.

• Like (+1) 4

Anyone who thought Cam was ever going to come to Buffalo is sadly misguided. Beane is right, Newton is a starter and rightfully so. Furthermore they are not going to get somebody, if anybody, to compete with Josh to be the starter. The job is firmly Josh’s until proven different.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Breaking news. Thanks, Vic.

He’s just doing his job. It had thus far not been confirmed, only assumed. People ask about it all the time. Good to just ask Beane the direct question and be done with it. Sure we all assume Cam wants to start but crickets on that front.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Not surprising. The more interesting question is who could you actually see Cam being willing to sit behind? That is, if backup jobs are all that’s available. Let’s face it, Cam is a unique individual. Outside of Brady, Brees, and maybe Rothlisberger, who else would he agree to sit behind? I don’t see many scenarios where he’d be willing to sit behind a starter he feels he’s better than. 

Personally, if he’s healthy, I think he would make the Dolphins a pretty dangerous team. At least until whatever QB they are likely to draft is ready to go. If that’s Tua then he can sit for the whole year until he’s healed and ready. He’s more talented than Fitz. Pats would also be an interesting choice, but they are pressed soundly against the cap from Brady’s parting gift. Maybe the Chargers too, but they seem committed to rolling with Tyrod and a rookie. 

14 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thank Heaven! Now I can sleep at night -which isn’t a good thing since I work the graveyard shift.. ?...

I'd just like to sleep well period.  But I have a strange feeling the prospects of Beane getting Newton was a factor in that.

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s just doing his job. It had thus far not been confirmed, only assumed. People ask about it all the time. Good to just ask Beane the direct question and be done with it. Sure we all assume Cam wants to start but crickets on that front.

You're right, of course. Reporters/journalists are often unfairly criticized for doing their job to the best of their abilities.

But what a nothing burger nonetheless.

Cam's health is a huge question mark. People who actually pay attention would know that when he was healthy he was still top 10-15 QB material EASILY. With that said, Beane wouldnt look to add any QB who isnt ok with being a backup. This is such a non story because no team who believes on their current starter would consider Cam. ALL other teams would if they knew he was 100%. His asking price will be a huge factor for most teams willing to roll the dice. It most certainly will end up being a 1 or 2 year deal mid starter price range with incentives to make him a top 5 paid QB if he balls out and hits on all his performance bonuses.

Yeah i never once thought or heard of any interest from anyone between the Bills & Cam. It just doesn't make any sense with where both are at right now. Now maybe in the future if/when Cam is no longer a starter candidate possibly, but not now.

One team however that i've heard mentioned a bunch is the Pats.  However after they went after Hoyer, it seems they're content having him & Stidham battle it out for the starting job. Some team will take a flyer on Cam tho. I just don't expect much from him at this point in his career. But i'm glad the Bills aren't interested, even though i don't think they ever were.

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

If I was Cam, I would go to Pittsburgh.

Ben is hanging on by a thread at this point.

He should just retire and call it a career, he’s already got 2 rings and nothing left to prove. He’s been talking about retirement for how long now? Should’ve retired 2-3 years ago

42 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

Yeah i never once thought or heard of any interest from anyone between the Bills & Cam. It just doesn't make any sense with where both are at right now. Now maybe in the future if/when Cam is no longer a starter candidate possibly, but not now.

One team however that i've heard mentioned a bunch is the Pats.  However after they went after Hoyer, it seems they're content having him & Stidham battle it out for the starting job. Some team will take a flyer on Cam tho. I just don't expect much from him at this point in his career. But i'm glad the Bills aren't interested, even though i don't think they ever were.

Pats don’t have the money for Cam, and I don’t think The emperor and newton  would get along to well lol. This is the same guy that ran Kosar out of Cleveland because he didn’t like him

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Let's say the Bills did not have Josh Allen, but rather Ryan Tannehill (or equivalent) as the QB, does anyone think Beane would pursue Cam Newton?  Not sure if the Carolina connection is strong enough to overlook Cam acting like Cam usually does - a crybaby.

definitely dont need any any of his mopeyness or excuse making rubbing off on the team.

• Like (+1) 2