Why do we need a WR in the draft?

11 hours ago, BigBobby said:

It's funny. People talk about brown like he's some amazing #2 receiver. Let's not forget he did next to nothing the 2nd half of the year and may have cost us a playoff win more than anyone else on the roster. He had multiple lazy attempts where even a mediocre gets his foot down. One would have put us around the 5 yard line to give us a chance to seal the game. I'm ready to upgrade there.

Not sure where you're getting this.  Brown played in 15 games and averaged 75 y/g in the first 8 and 65 y/g in the last 7 (he sat out the Jets season-ender).  And in the playoff game, there was enough blame to go around, like Duke dropping a perfect TD pass.  There is no reason to take him out of the starting lineup.

As for taking a WR, again the off-season will be abbreviated and even the blue-chip prospects will have a hard time making an impact.  I say take one but later in the draft, but don't count on him this year.

• Like (+1) 1

JB & CB are more than likely closer to the end of their career's than in the prime of it, yes they still are good but they are in or near their 30's so with this year being deep at the WR position you could get their potential replacement when their contract is up by then the younger player should be up to speed so they don't miss a beat .

Not to mention if one of them get hurt for any reason they could have the new guy get some game reps if he is a quick study & that is just another plus .

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I disagree that "Nobody we draft this year is going to start..."   Homerism aside, Singletary is not a top notch running back. He is top 20 in rushing and top 45 in receiving.  This year there are a number of very good running backs available.  One of the top 3-4 may be available at our #54 (or with a modest trade-up like the Bills have done with their early picks in 2017, 2018 and 2019).  The 4,5,6 guys would be around at #54 and would probably be an upgrade or equivalant (at worst) to Singletary.  So the new RB1A would share time with Singletary but could be considered a starter.

I'll concede that it's possible a rookie RB eventually displaces Devin Singletary as the technical "starter" at some point down the line.  Although I would say the situation is more likely to be a 1A vs. 1B situation, where the heavier workload depends on situation.

My curiosity is where this Top 20 in rushing and Top 45 in receiving number comes from.  Is this based just purely on Singletary's 2019 stats?

Because if so, you should really be reminded that Singletary was barely given any carries in the first quarter of the season, and then spent four games injured.  He really didn't get rolling for us until mid-season.  If you take his average over the last 8 active games (he was inactive Week 17) and spread them over a full season, he would have over 1200 yards rushing (which is tied for #6 in the NFL).

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

I'll concede that it's possible a rookie RB eventually displaces Devin Singletary as the technical "starter" at some point down the line.  Although I would say the situation is more likely to be a 1A vs. 1B situation, where the heavier workload depends on situation.

My curiosity is where this Top 20 in rushing and Top 45 in receiving number comes from.  Is this based just purely on Singletary's 2019 stats?

Because if so, you should really be reminded that Singletary was barely given any carries in the first quarter of the season, and then spent four games injured.  He really didn't get rolling for us until mid-season.  If you take his average over the last 8 active games (he was inactive Week 17) and spread them over a full season, he would have over 1200 yards rushing (which is tied for #6 in the NFL).

I took his 2019 stats from

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/rb/2019

If he was injured, well that is part of his ability to help the team.  The Bills were 4-4 in their last 8 games.  I like to look at a whole season's production to avoid cherry picking.  I think he is a good gutty player, but we can upgrade with our 2020 2nd round pick. Especially this year when there are a lot of OT, WR and DE going at the top of the draft (with a big gap in quality coming before our turn in the 2nd round). and a 4-5 excellent RB;s who might drop to us.  Notice that Beane wants "touchdown makers" and we don't really have a second RB for the RB by two guys method.  Some of the draft guys are also excellent receivers, which would open up a new window for the offense.

47 minutes ago, White Linen said:

If there's a wide receiver with the highest grade on their board available at our pick - they will take him. 

10 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

sloppy 7ths or 9ths or 11ths? No thank you.

So.........you’d take an inferior player just because they are NOT a WR? That’s what that looks like. Please explain. Sometimes the 7th best WR is a better football player than the 5th best at another position. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

sloppy 7ths or 9ths or 11ths? No thank you.

So you'd take the 3rd or 4th rated TE for example with a lower grade just so it's not sloppy 7ths,  9ths or 11ths?  

Widely talked about as a deep WR class - so yeah you're going to get deeper into the amount taken naturally.  However with that deep of a class there could be someone they rated higher than others at the position there.  

What if Beane and company have a WR rated as the 4th best WR coming out and he's there and 8 were picked prior.  You wouldn't want Beane to take him because he's the 9th WR taken?

Why draft a wr? Man... lot's of reasons...

• No proven vet >6'0 (and that's being generous) -- while this draft is chalk full of talent, it's especially full of talent WITH SIZE
  • Young QBs need weapons -- invest in your QB. Yes Diggs/Smokey/Beas are a solid trio, but as other's have mentioned, age is an issue with the latter two and injuries with the former two. Given that our QB has less than pinpoint accuracy, a bigger target could make for some easy completions and gained confidence with Josh.
  • Historically great draft means the talent that we'll be looking at would likely be rated significantly higher in another year
  • Needs elsewhere, yes, but what's the reality of what we'll be looking at with those needs?
    • This is a garbage year for edge; RB is similarly deep but RBs are now undervalued and thus can be waited upon; OT will unlikely be off the board before we pick; CB would be the only other position I'd realistically consider in the 2nd
  • New weapons = new attacks: with Smokey and Diggs we should be able to stretch the field vertical plenty, but by bringing in a different type of WR, we'll be able to add new approaches to the offense, stressing defenses more and finding more mismatches... each new way you can stress the defense gives every other approach an improved shot at success.

I'm all aboard the Claypool train at this point. 

On 4/5/2020 at 9:31 PM, Augie said:

I’m saying I feel like we really have only THREE quality NFL WR’s right now, and 2 of them are in their 30’s. Plus they often have injuries to deal with. (It seems like fast guys and hammys are an issue.)  It’s a seriously talented WR draft pool this year. If they feel they can get the right guy at the right value, I’d fully support that. 

Tell me, what is your reasoning for NOT wanting a WR? 

Totally agree.  Better not pass on Claypool or Higgins if they’re there.  I mean it!!  We need a TO type.  If they are and we take a corner, OL or anything, I’ll cry for week.   In fact, I hope they move up 5-10 spots to nab one of them.  Go Bills!!! 

12 hours ago, Doc said:

Not sure where you're getting this.  Brown played in 15 games and averaged 75 y/g in the first 8 and 65 y/g in the last 7 (he sat out the Jets season-ender).  And in the playoff game, there was enough blame to go around, like Duke dropping a perfect TD pass.  There is no reason to take him out of the starting lineup.

As for taking a WR, again the off-season will be abbreviated and even the blue-chip prospects will have a hard time making an impact.  I say take one but later in the draft, but don't count on him this year.

People who look at averages and think they mean something are funny. I didn't check your math, but you even shared a 13% drop off from 1st half of year which is pretty significant to me. He had a "big" game against pitt with a whopping 99 yards. Other than that, here's his other 4 games to finish the year...26, 26, 36, 53. Yeah - that's garbage. He was a complete non factor.

Fast forward to playoffs, he sucked. And I mean, he REALLY SUCKED. John brown showing up and playing at least a half-focused game and we win that game by a lot. He came in lazy, he made rookie mistakes that rookies don't even make. Trash in the playoffs and 2nd half of the year. We can't count on him. 

Oh and the duke drop. I totally agree that duke should have caught that.  BUT, if he caught that pass, we would be talking about him like made the toughest catch ever. Other than knox, there wasn't ONE SINGLE PASS that looked like a tough catch. If the ball wasn't between the numbers, it was a drop-guaranteed.

For me this draft will tell me about Beane's mindset - are we going for it this year or are we still looking to add talent. Because a wr at 54 is not a player who will help that much this year (probably). I think an edge rusher (either de or olb) can help this year, probably a te since ours haven't proven a darn thing, a cb could help this year and a rb would probably have the easiest path to help. I would love to see an OL who could upgrade a position at 54, but it doesn't seem like there will be one there. 

It will be interesting to see if talent will be enough to trump need this year with the 2nd and 3rd round picks. I am coming around to the OP's thought process, mainly because I think Beane is looking to put the best team possible out on the field in 2020 and a wr taken before round 4 will not make a big enough impact. I think there might be a draft pick later or maybe a cheap FA to try and fill the remaining spots on the roster.

27 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Brown has 1 left year on his contract and our WRs are hobbits.

But......other than that........we should probably ignore the best WR prospects in a generation. I read that here, so it must be true......it’s on the internet, right? 

• Haha (+1) 1

For the few bagging on smoke......all I can say is....are you serious?

He was OUTSTANDING last year.....best year of his career.....and STILL was a not a number 1 WR

but as a 2.....he is very good.

1 hour ago, BigBobby said:

People who look at averages and think they mean something are funny. I didn't check your math, but you even shared a 13% drop off from 1st half of year which is pretty significant to me. He had a "big" game against pitt with a whopping 99 yards. Other than that, here's his other 4 games to finish the year...26, 26, 36, 53. Yeah - that's garbage. He was a complete non factor.

Fast forward to playoffs, he sucked. And I mean, he REALLY SUCKED. John brown showing up and playing at least a half-focused game and we win that game by a lot. He came in lazy, he made rookie mistakes that rookies don't even make. Trash in the playoffs and 2nd half of the year. We can't count on him. 

Oh and the duke drop. I totally agree that duke should have caught that.  BUT, if he caught that pass, we would be talking about him like made the toughest catch ever. Other than knox, there wasn't ONE SINGLE PASS that looked like a tough catch. If the ball wasn't between the numbers, it was a drop-guaranteed.

That is because Allen was targeting him a ton and besides Bease we had nobody else.......you just watch and see how good smoke looks with Diggs on the other side.

This is not to say we should not draft a WR in one of t he best WR's drafts in a while....we should....but you are seriously downplaying smokes role to this team