Why do we need a WR in the draft?

1 minute ago, MrSarcasm said:

Still with DK?

No I'm saying that everyone is expecting a AJ Brown or DK when in reality your chances of getting a Zay Jones is much higher. To boot you want to take this chance on a guy that wont see much field time for 2 years. 

It doesn't matter what the name is. Just a point a reference in the discussion regarding 2nd round WRs.  ?

The chances of getting any impact player in the 2nd at any position is going to be slim this year considering the construction and depth of the roster.

At this point would you rather try to hit a grand slam or a ground rule double?

17 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

DE, split with Hughes and take his spot next year.

I wouldn't mind seeing another DE added (get rid of Murphy), but I'm not sure this is a very good draft for DE/Edge rushers.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The 4th WR doesn't just sit on the bench I mean we had 5 active in the Texans game with Brown, Beasley, Roberts, McKenzie, and Duke. Out of the five four of them all had 4 receptions.

Good point. People who act like the fourth WR doesn’t get any playing time aren’t aware of how football is played in the 21st century. 

I remember a time when the narrative was that receivers weren't that important and it was all about the QB and the OLINE.

Now, it seems that filling the roster with 5 stud receivers is a must.

Neither is correct. But the reality is that the Bills are very much set at receiver. 

If you look at the position relative to DE, the argument regarding Beasley/Brown being 30 is greatly diminished. Diggs is number 1 receiver entering his prime. When you have a true number 1 in his prime and solid players like Brown and Beasley, you're in good shape. Doesn't mean you don't continue to add to the position, but you don't really want to use your 2nd round pick there.

At DE, we don't have that young stud. Addison and Hughes are Beasley/Brown. That's fine. But the DE group doesn't have a DIGGS. 

This is a terrific question because people are really getting carried away with the idea of creating a Madden like dream team at WR.

You've got an entire roster to fill, and it would be foolish to OVER allocate resources to any one of them.

It's time for the OC and the QB to get the job done. That's the bottom line.

• Like (+1) 2

I think we need more WR's for two reasons.

A. Brown & Beasley are now in their 30's and are only signed for 2 more seasons. Have to think about the future.

B. We can upgrade over players like Foster, Williams, McKenzie & Roberts.

This WR class is deep and we should take whomever we can get so that we can get better and better.

I'm not saying we should take a WR with our 2nd round pick, unless there is someone we cannot pass up. If Denzel Mims, Michael Pittman, or Donovan Peoples-Jones are there at 54. WE should seriously consider taking one of them.

I think 3rd round is more realistic as to where we take a WR, and I would even grab a WR in the 5th or 6th round as well.

Big picture. We need to take advantage of a strong receiver class that could help us in the future.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

We still need playmakers. This is the deepest WR class in a long time and 2/3 top WR’s are in their 30’s.

This. 

Deep class that we should want to take a swing. Guys are gonna fall. I’m more in the 3rd/4th round camp for WR, but what if DJ Hamler, Denzel Mims or Tee Higgins is there. May wanna go that direction

21 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Good point. People who act like the fourth WR doesn’t get any playing time aren’t aware of how football is played in the 21st century. 

How often is a fourth WR personel used? More than what other personnel groupings?

Answer: Yes. More than the 5 WR personel.

?

After further digging, Arizona was the highest user of the 4 WRs personnel last year at....(drumroll)... a whopping 18% of the time followed by Seattle at 10%. ?

Edited by MrSarcasm

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

Really??? So people complained last year and we go out and trade a 1st rounder for a Stefon Diggs and you are saying that is not enough?

Any stats out there on how often we went with 4 WRs out on the field?(not DeMarco lining up wide lol)

A teams 4th WR should not be drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Period.

the defending super bowl champs beg to differ.

22 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I remember a time when the narrative was that receivers weren't that important and it was all about the QB and the OLINE.

Now, it seems that filling the roster with 5 stud receivers is a must.

Neither is correct. But the reality is that the Bills are very much set at receiver. 

If you look at the position relative to DE, the argument regarding Beasley/Brown being 30 is greatly diminished. Diggs is number 1 receiver entering his prime. When you have a true number 1 in his prime and solid players like Brown and Beasley, you're in good shape. Doesn't mean you don't continue to add to the position, but you don't really want to use your 2nd round pick there.

At DE, we don't have that young stud. Addison and Hughes are Beasley/Brown. That's fine. But the DE group doesn't have a DIGGS. 

This is a terrific question because people are really getting carried away with the idea of creating a Madden like dream team at WR.

You've got an entire roster to fill, and it would be foolish to OVER allocate resources to any one of them.

It's time for the OC and the QB to get the job done. That's the bottom line.

I like the way you're thinking in this post.  Problem is I'm not sure there is a DE worth taking with our second round pick,  To get a Diggs-type DE, a true first or second round guy needs to be selected; not sure they do that in a couple of weeks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

How often is a fourth WR personel used? More than what other personnel groupings?

?

After further digging, Arizona was the highest user of the 4 WRs personnel last year at....(drumroll)... a whopping 18% of the time followed by Seattle at 10%. ?

The thing is it's not about running a 4 WR set. It's about creating mismatches using different personnel grouping. Like a 2 or 3 WR set with different players ( Diggs, and Brown, Diggs and Beasley, Brown and Beasley, etc)

So a 4th WR could feasibly get action in any of these sets. Or is that off base?

I suppose by that logic we must run a slot of 3 and 4 DE sets since Lawson, Hughes, Murphy and Johnson all saw plenty of action last year

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

?

Fair enough, but it’s not just about having four guys on the field at the same time. It’s about the rotation throughout the game. Guys come off the field during the game, and although four WR’s might not be on the field at the same time, they all

get playing time. I’m not overdramatizing the need for a fourth WR. We will be fine, but an upgrade over what we have couldn’t hurt. That’s all I’m saying. If any of our top three are out, I really don’t want to see Williams, McKenzie, or Foster play. I’d rather give a rookie a chance. 

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

So true... Zay was a beast...

?

Right and since he wasn't good enough they traded him so they could bring up Duke Williams what exactly is your point? They've actively moved players around to get more production out of that WR 4 spot why wouldn't they consider getting a young rookie with a lot of potential to compete for it especially now that the roster and actives have gotten bigger.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I like the way you're thinking in this post.  Problem is I'm not sure there is a DE worth taking with our second round pick,  To get a Diggs-type DE, a true first or second round guy needs to be selected; not sure they do that in a couple of weeks.

No doubt. I haven't done nearly as much of my own "scouting"(and I use that term loosely) this season, but the draft appears to be thin at DE. Seen you mention that a few times. 

I want Clowney to fill the gap and potentially put the D over the top, but maybe that's a pipedream.

DE remains my main concern, but we'll see how it all shakes out.

I just think we're getting a little carried away with the receiver thing because it was so AWFUL during McD's first two seasons. Not only is it not awful, it's actually now a position of strength.

2 hours ago, MrSarcasm said:

So then when will this young whippersnapper start, 2 years, 3 years? Drafting a guy early so he can start in a couple years is just dumb IMHO, especially after we traded to get a stud WR because 'now is the time to be bold'/'make moves'.

Our current backups don't help here?

Mckendrick, Foster, Duke and Robert's have all started some and can surely fill the roll when needed to, for a few games at least.

First, because offense wins and last year Buffalo was forced to give snaps in a wild card playoff game to Duke Williams as he was their only guy with size.  No disrespect to him, but you don't typically find a WR3 playing in the CFL.  They need another option.  

Second, McKendrick?  Who is that?  It's hard to take posters seriously who can't remember the name of a guy re-signed on 3/30.  

Third, there were 4 guys from 2019 class who all went over 800 yards receiving as rookies:  A.J. Brown (51st), Terry McLaurin (76th), D.K. Metcalf (64th), and Deebo Samuel 36th). 

Who's saying WR's take 2-3 years before they're starting material?  Only you. 

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

First, because offense wins and last year Buffalo was forced to give snaps in a wild card playoff game to Duke Williams as he was their only guy with size.  No disrespect to him, but you don't typically find a WR3 playing in the CFL.  They need another option.  

Second, McKendrick?  Who is that?  It's hard to take posters seriously who can't remember the name of a guy re-signed on 3/30.  

Third, there were 4 guys from 2019 class who all went over 800 yards receiving as rookies:  A.J. Brown (51st), Terry McLaurin (76th), D.K. Metcalf (64th), and Deebo Samuel 36th). 

Who's saying WR's take 2-3 years before they're starting material?  Only you. 

Mckendrick is the best, all of those end arounds. Also he can play special teams.