Why do we need a WR in the draft?

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No irony. You made a claim. The burden of proof is on you to prove that claim. My feeling is that your claim is BS. It is on you to prove that it isn’t. If I said “not one more person will contract COVID” and you said “that doesn’t feel right” that’s on me to prove what I said. That’s what we are dealing with here. You said something to try to support your point but you just made it up. When asked “where did it come from” you ducked the question. “I made that up” doesn’t go very far in convincing others to follow your perspective. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-some-positions-riskier-to-pick-than-others-in-the-nfl-draft/amp/

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

Am I not seeing something? I keep seeing people are wanting us to go WR first/second pick in this years draft. Why? We now have a stud WR1, an excellent WR2 and an excellent slot. All of these guys are under contract for the next 3+ years as well.

So people want us to use our 2nd rounder or 3rd to draft a backup WR that will hardly see the field or they are expecting one of these three to be cut in the near future(I'd like to hear which one lol).

Please someone shed some light on the matter.

Well, you presented a question, but did not offer your solution as to what positions you think need attention over a WR.  Not saying you don’t have a point, so where would rather allocate those draft picks!

1 minute ago, Hermes said:

The Bills offense ranked towards the bottom of the league, while the defense ranked at the top.

The Bills put significant resources this off-season on defensive players, and not necessarily an equal amount on offense.

Brandon Beane says the team needs touchdown makers and guys who can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. 

The draft is loaded with offensive playmakers

A second round de or safety would see about as much time (maybe less) than a wr. They would be sitting behind at least 3 players and maybe 4.

The reason the Bills lost games was a lack of offensive fire power.

How's that?

Again, so how does a backup WR fix the offense this year or even next?

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Because Beasley and Brown are about 31 and 30 years old, as I recall. I didn’t look it up, but that’s close and our WR corp is getting up there in age. A young guy to bring along could come in handy in the next year or two. Find quality depth to start developing if its a good fit and value. 

You have possibly a generationally deep WR class. Why would you NOT want to take advantage of it if the cards fell that way? 

Exactly. Very few WRs are starter-ready as rookies so you need to draft them in advance of when you really need them.  If you look at their ages and contracts, it is highly likely Brown and Beasley both have two years left in Buffalo.  So it's either develop young talent now or go bargain basement shopping in FA later for starters at WR.

Remember by then they'll have had to pay Josh and a bunch of other guys so they won't have $90m in cap space every year.

I'm not saying it's mandatory to draft a WR with a day 2 pick, but it is high on the list of positions they should be targeting in rounds 2 and 3.   I tend to think RBs can be found later in the draft but wouldn't have an issue if they felt they found great value earlier in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Well, you presented a question, but did not offer your solution as to what positions you think need attention over a WR.  Not saying you don’t have a point, so where would rather allocate those draft picks!

DE, Saftey, CB, OL.

WR and RB outside the 3rd but I'd be willing to 'reach' in the 3rd for a skill guy if the value was right.

1 minute ago, MrSarcasm said:

Again, so how does a backup WR fix the offense this year or even next?

Finding another WR that can take the field and add another dynamic option to the offense that defenses will already have a hard time with will take the offense to the next level. Running a fast past offense can wear your own guys down so allowing them to have another more than capable WR in the wings stresses a defense even more.

What if the WR they draft goes on a tear towards the end of the year and takes more snaps than Brown. It's not like this a rare occurrence. You act like a second round WR can't come on and be better than the guys the Bills already have

4 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

DE, Saftey, CB, OL.

WR and RB outside the 3rd but I'd be willing to 'reach' in the 3rd for a skill guy if the value was right.

All of the positions you mention would undoubtedly be backups to start too. So you tell me how would a back up, DE, safety, CB, or OL improve the defense or offense

2 minutes ago, Hermes said:

Finding another WR that can take the field and add another dynamic option to the offense that defenses will already have a hard time with will take the offense to the next level. Running a fast past offense can wear your own guys down so allowing them to have another more than capable WR in the wings stresses a defense even more.

What if the WR they draft goes on a tear towards the end of the year and takes more snaps than Brown. It's not like this a rare occurrence. You act like a second round WR can't come on and be better than the guys the Bills already have

So true... Zay was a beast...

?

7 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

DE, Saftey, CB, OL.

Question.  Most pundits argue we have a top-5 defense right now, so why do you argue defense?  Which position are you looking to draft as a starter on defense that isn’t drafting for depth similar to drafting a WR (ie safety).  

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine

It's funny. People talk about brown like he's some amazing #2 receiver. Let's not forget he did next to nothing the 2nd half of the year and may have cost us a playoff win more than anyone else on the roster. He had multiple lazy attempts where even a mediocre gets his foot down. One would have put us around the 5 yard line to give us a chance to seal the game. I'm ready to upgrade there.

56 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m saying I feel like we really have only THREE quality NFL WR’s right now, and 2 of them are in their 30’s. Plus they often have injuries to deal with. (It seems like fast guys and hammys are an issue.)  It’s a seriously talented WR draft pool this year. If they feel they can get the right guy at the right value, I’d fully support that. 

Tell me, what is your reasoning for NOT wanting a WR? 

Yeah, our top three WR’s are a nice group, but no one below them on the depth chart should be on the field as an NFL WR imo. That’s a problem, and could be easily remedied by drafting a wideout. John Brown had a spectacular 2019, but he’s had an inconsistent career. I don’t count on him repeating last years production. Obviously, Diggs will more than make up for whatever drop in production Brown could have, but if Brown or Beasley slow down a bit, another option would be nice. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Question.  Most pundits argue we have a top-5 defense right now, so why do you argue defense?  Which position are you looking to draft as a starter on defense that isn’t drafting for depth similar to drafting a WR (ie safety).  

DE, split with Hughes and take his spot next year.

We don't need to force a WR pick early but we should take 1 or 2 at some point. We need a size receiver that can compete with Duke, and someone to compete with McKenzie/backup Beasley. With pick 54 I want us to draft someone that will compete for a starting job so WR wouldn't be my first choice there. Round 3 and beyond the value will be there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, our top three WR’s are a nice group, but no one below them on the depth chart should be on the field as an NFL WR imo. That’s a problem, and could be easily remedied by drafting a wideout. John Brown had a spectacular 2019, but he’s had an inconsistent career. I don’t count on him repeating last years production. Obviously, Diggs will more than make up for whatever drop in production Brown could have, but if Brown or Beasley slow down a bit, another option would be nice. 

That's most backups for many teams. Is their a free agent WR that would be an upgrade in your opinion?

14 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

So true... Zay was a beast...

?

Because Zay Jones is available to be drafted this year, correct.  Jw

Also, what you're saying is that your fear of drafting Zay Jones wouldn't allow you to draft AJ Brown or DK Metcalf. That's simply irrational.

Edited by Hermes

12 minutes ago, BigBobby said:

It's funny. People talk about brown like he's some amazing #2 receiver. Let's not forget he did next to nothing the 2nd half of the year and may have cost us a playoff win more than anyone else on the roster. He had multiple lazy attempts where even a mediocre gets his foot down. One would have put us around the 5 yard line to give us a chance to seal the game. I'm ready to upgrade there.

There's some truth to this post. In an ideal world Brown would be our #3 outside WR. But he's not someone we need to force out of the position. If WR is BPA, absolutely take one. It just isn't a need like it was before Diggs. We could go into the season with the WR depth chart we have now and we'd still have a top 5 unit. There are probably other players available in the 2nd and even 3rd round that will have a more immediate contribution than any WR we could draft.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hermes said:

Because Zay Jones is available to be drafted this year, correct.  Jw

Also, what you're saying is that your fear of drafting Zay Jones wouldn't allow you to draft AJ Brown or DK Metcalf. That's simply irrational.

Still with DK?

No I'm saying that everyone is expecting a AJ Brown or DK when in reality your chances of getting a Zay Jones is much higher. To boot you want to take this chance on a guy that wont see much field time for 2 years. 

7 minutes ago, Cal said:

Beasly and Brown are now 30. That's usually when WRs start to fall off. Plus we could use some height. 

Again so I ask, when will one of those 2 get cut and who? 

If it's in 2 years then that's a long wait for a 2nd rounder to start.

9 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

That's most backups for many teams. Is their a free agent WR that would be an upgrade in your opinion?

I get your point, but there are teams who have a fourth WR I like more than Foster, Williams, McKenzie, or Roberts. Those guys are not NFL caliber wideouts imo. If they are pressed into service, we’d make due, but I’d draft someone in hopes of them being an upgrade. I’d just attempt to upgrade depth at that position in the draft, as opposed to free agency.