Why do we need a WR in the draft?

1 minute ago, MrSarcasm said:

Personally I feel 2nd and 3rd rounders should be starters or at least see significant playing time soon or soonish, granted Buffalo has been blessed most recently with not needing to much. Also WR and RBs tend to be over drafted and bust out the easiest.

Really? That feels like a statement made to support your overarching point that the Bills shouldn’t go receiver. I’m not sure where the data is to support the bolded?

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Really? That feels like a statement made to support your overarching point that the Bills shouldn’t go receiver. I’m not sure where the data is to support the bolded?

Because... you know... feelings.

4 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Personally I feel 2nd and 3rd rounders should be starters or at least see significant playing time soon or soonish, granted Buffalo has been blessed most recently with not needing to much. Also WR and RBs tend to be over drafted and bust out the easiest.

I don’t necessarily disagree with that, but they need to go where value is and get the best players. They may not start, but they could be huge contributors. Looking at the WR board this year you may get terrific value with a WR in round 2-3. If that’s the case, I’m good with that. 

Edited by Augie

Just now, MrSarcasm said:

Because... you know... feelings.

It’s fine to not want WR or RB. It’s not fine to make up false information as your reasoning. You said that they “bust out the easiest.” That just doesn’t feel true. In fact, I’d venture to say that RBs are one of the safest picks because they have a small learning curve. Basically, that’s the exact opposite of what you said. I was just looking for where you got that? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Please someone shed some light on the matter.

i am going to give my opinion here without really answering the questioned posed. 

I believe we have other needs particularly at DE or OLB who can rush the passer; a DT(s) who can stop the run; or a backup at RB  because I don't believe Yeldon is that back. 

For the immediate future is a WR in not a need, IMHO.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s fine to not want WR or RB. It’s not fine to make up false information as your reasoning. You said that they “bust out the easiest.” That just doesn’t feel true. In fact, I’d venture to say that RBs are one of the safest picks because they have a small learning curve. Basically, that’s the exact opposite of what you said. I was just looking for where you got that? 

Yum, love me some irony or is that hypocrisy, either way, delicious.

Edited by MrSarcasm

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

Because Beasley and Brown are about 31 and 30 years old, as I recall. I didn’t look it up, but that’s close and our WR corp is getting up there in age. A young guy to bring along could come in handy in the next year or two. Find quality depth to start developing if its a good fit and value. 

You have possibly a generationally deep WR class. Why would you NOT want to take advantage of it if the cards fell that way? 

Well said and very accurate.  It would be foolish not to take advantage of such a deep wr class. Brown and Beasley are no longer young. Landing a Claypool would help solidify the future of this team offensively. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Yum, love me some irony or is that hypocrisy, either way, delicious.

Yeah, I said your assertion that “they bust out easiest” doesn’t “feel” right. You made a claim. My intuition is that your claim is wrong. I was asking where your support came from? Basically, prove what you are saying!! There’s no hypocrisy here. I didn’t make the claim. 

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well said and very accurate.  It would be foolish not to take advantage of such a deep wr class. Brown and Beasley are no longer young. Landing a Claypool would help solidify the future of this team offensively. 

Claypool, or some other large WR, would also add diversity for specific situations, another benefit. To say we could use the picks elsewhere is to state the obvious. To say we shouldn’t consider WR is to state the ridiculous. 

The thing we NEED now is another RB, and they will get that. We need some youth at DE and could use a bunch of other stuff, but WR might make a lot of sense depending upon how things shake out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, I said your assertion that “they bust out easiest” doesn’t “feel” right. You made a claim. My intuition is that your claim is wrong. I was asking where your support came from? Basically, prove what you are saying!! There’s no hypocrisy here. I didn’t make the claim. 

Its only a logical summation, the 2 highest drafted postions would see the highest fallout.

You are right you didn't make a claim on a feeling but an 'intuition'...totally different

?

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

The thing we NEED now is another RB, and they will get that. We need some youth at DE and could use a bunch of other stuff, but WR might make a lot of sense depending upon how things shake out. 

That's what I don't get... we need a backup WR because of depth but a DE to split time and take Hughes spot is second thought.

2 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Its only a logical summation, the 2 highest drafted postions would see the highest fallout.

You are right you didn't make a claim on a feeling but an 'intuition'...totally different

?

No irony. You made a claim. The burden of proof is on you to prove that claim. My feeling is that your claim is BS. It is on you to prove that it isn’t. If I said “not one more person will contract COVID” and you said “that doesn’t feel right” that’s on me to prove what I said. That’s what we are dealing with here. You said something to try to support your point but you just made it up. When asked “where did it come from” you ducked the question. “I made that up” doesn’t go very far in convincing others to follow your perspective. 

3 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

?

That's what I don't get... we need a backup WR because of depth but a DE to split time and take Hughes spot is second thought.

Here’s the difference.....I’m NOT asking why we need another DE in the draft. That’s the distinction, and it’s an important one. I’m fine with a DE, or a WR or whatever is best for the team. Personally, I think we need both.  I’m not asking why we need one or the other. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No irony. You made a claim. The burden of proof is on you to prove that claim. My feeling is that your claim is BS. It is on you to prove that it isn’t. If I said “not one more person will contract COVID” and you said “that doesn’t feel right” that’s on me to prove what I said. That’s what we are dealing with here. You said something to try to support your point but you just made it up. When asked “where did it come from” you ducked the question. “I made that up” doesn’t go very far in convincing others to follow your perspective. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2441018-which-positions-are-the-safest-riskiest-at-the-top-of-the-nfl-draft.amp.html

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Here’s the difference.....I’m NOT asking why we need another DE in the draft. That’s the distinction, and it’s an important one. I’m fine with a DE, or a WR or whatever is best for the team. Personally, I think we need both.  I’m not asking why we need one or the other. 

Sorry Augie, I wasn't 'gunning' for you. I actually agree with you, mostly. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

Am I not seeing something? I keep seeing people are wanting us to go WR first/second pick in this years draft. Why? We now have a stud WR1, an excellent WR2 and an excellent slot. All of these guys are under contract for the next 3+ years as well.

So people want us to use our 2nd rounder or 3rd to draft a backup WR that will hardly see the field or they are expecting one of these three to be cut in the near future(I'd like to hear which one lol).

Please someone shed some light on the matter.

The Bills offense ranked towards the bottom of the league, while the defense ranked at the top.

The Bills put significant resources this off-season on defensive players, and not necessarily an equal amount on offense.

Brandon Beane says the team needs touchdown makers and guys who can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. 

The draft is loaded with offensive playmakers

A second round de or safety would see about as much time (maybe less) than a wr. They would be sitting behind at least 3 players and maybe 4.

The reason the Bills lost games was a lack of offensive fire power.

How's that?

• Thank you (+1) 2