Why do we need a WR in the draft?

Am I not seeing something? I keep seeing people are wanting us to go WR first/second pick in this years draft. Why? We now have a stud WR1, an excellent WR2 and an excellent slot. All of these guys are under contract for the next 3+ years as well.

So people want us to use our 2nd rounder or 3rd to draft a backup WR that will hardly see the field or they are expecting one of these three to be cut in the near future(I'd like to hear which one lol).

Please someone shed some light on the matter.

• Like (+1) 2

Because Beasley and Brown are about 31 and 30 years old, as I recall. I didn’t look it up, but that’s close and our WR corp is getting up there in age. A young guy to bring along could come in handy in the next year or two. Find quality depth to start developing if its a good fit and value.  One bad hammy and you may need that help sooner than you think. 

You have possibly a generationally deep WR class. Why would you NOT want to take advantage of it if the cards fell that way? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 32
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Because Beasley and Brown are about 31 and 30 years old, as I recall. I didn’t look it up, but that’s close and our WR corp is getting up there in age. A young guy to bring along could come in handy in the next year or two. Find quality depth to start developing in its a good fit and value. 

This ^^^
Gotta keep the pipeline flowing with young talent at all positions. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Because Beasley and Brown are about 31 and 30 years old, as I recall. I didn’t look it up, but that’s close and our WR corp is getting up there in age. A young guy to bring along could come in handy in the next year or two. Find quality depth to start developing in its a good fit and value. 

So then when will this young whippersnapper start, 2 years, 3 years? Drafting a guy early so he can start in a couple years is just dumb IMHO, especially after we traded to get a stud WR because 'now is the time to be bold'/'make moves'.

3 minutes ago, Hurricane said:

Also, injuries happen... 

Our current backups don't help here?

Mckendrick, Foster, Duke and Robert's have all started some and can surely fill the roll when needed to, for a few games at least.

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's a good idea to draft one in the 3rd or 4th this year because you're likely getting a 2nd round prospect.

I'm more of a trenches first guy, but this ^^^ is right on.  I wouldn't mind seeing a WR taken in the 3rd or 4th, as well as a RB.

20 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

So then when will this young whippersnapper start, 2 years, 3 years? Drafting a guy early so he can start in a couple years is just dumb IMHO, especially after we traded to get a stud WR because 'now is the time to be bold'/'make moves'.

Mckendrick, Foster, Duke and Robert's have all started some and can surely fill the roll when needed to, for a few games at least.

He could very well contribute early next year. What happens when one guy pulls a hammy or gets a concussion? We will be back to playing the same folks we complained about last season. 

15 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm more of a trenches first guy, but this ^^^ is right on.  I wouldn't mind seeing a WR taken in the 3rd or 4th, as well as a RB.

I certainly agree on the trenches. We don’t need to spend a HIGH pick on WR, but Diggs was like a 5th rounder. They are hard to spot, as many 1st rounders are busts. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

He could very well contribute early next year. What happens when one guy pulls a hammy or gets a concussion? We will be back to playing the same folks we complained about last season. 

Period. 

Really??? So people complained last year and we go out and trade a 1st rounder for a Stefon Diggs and you are saying that is not enough?

Any stats out there on how often we went with 4 WRs out on the field?(not DeMarco lining up wide lol)

A teams 4th WR should not be drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Period.

Edited by MrSarcasm

I don't think we NEED any position in the draft. That's the good news. Some additional WR depth would be nice. If any of the top 3 WR's get hurt, for instance, wee would not have a viable replacement. Also, it would be nice to develop a young guy for the future when we lose one of them.

But the same could be said for a lot of positions. I think probably the oline is one of the weakest groups now. We have a couple decent starters and a couple below average starters. Morse is the only one who is above average. It would be nice to upgrade one of the guard spots or RT. Spain and Feliciano are fine, but imagine how awesome it would be if those guys were the backups? That would be a dang good line with excellent depth.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MrSarcasm said:

Really??? So people complained last year and we go out and trade a 1st rounder for a Stefon Diggs and you are saying that is not enough?

Any stats out there on how often we went with 4 WRs out on the field?(not DeMarco lining up wide lol)

Period.

I’m saying I feel like we really have only THREE quality NFL WR’s right now, and 2 of them are in their 30’s. Plus they often have injuries to deal with. (It seems like fast guys and hammys are an issue.)  It’s a seriously talented WR draft pool this year. If they feel they can get the right guy at the right value, I’d fully support that. 

Tell me, what is your reasoning for NOT wanting a WR? 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Period.

I don't think it should be looked at as drafting a "4th WR" but rather drafting for the future.  Brown and Beasley are 30 and 31 years old, and while still having a few years left, attention needs to be directed to their replacements; this is the year to do that.  McKenzie, Foster, or Duke are options to be cut, as well...though I would like to see Duke make the team.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MrSarcasm said:

Period.

I think a lot of what Augie said is true.

Additionally, the Chiefs just won a Super Bowl playing 4 WRs regularly. This draft is incredibly deep at WR. You may get a guy at 54 that you couldn’t have gotten at 22 in some drafts. You draft to the strength of a draft because better players are available in the positions that the draft is strong at. There are A LOT of reasons that WR will be considered.

The Bills are going to draft BPA. They always do. We talk positions way more than the team does. This team doesn’t have a lot of needs (another RB is the only glaring hole for 2020). They’re going to take as many good players as they can regardless of position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think we NEED any position in the draft. That's the good news. Some additional WR depth would be nice. If any of the top 3 WR's get hurt, for instance, wee would not have a viable replacement. Also, it would be nice to develop a young guy for the future when we lose one of them.

But the same could be said for a lot of positions. I think probably the oline is one of the weakest groups now. We have a couple decent starters and a couple below average starters. Morse is the only one who is above average. It would be nice to upgrade one of the guard spots or RT. Spain and Feliciano are fine, but imagine how awesome it would be if those guys were the backups? That would be a dang good line with excellent depth.

Other than needing a RB 1B, I agree with this. That’s a serious need, but they will fill it. I’m not worried. I trust this FO more than any other in a long, long time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Given the depth at the position it wouldn't surprise me if a borderline 1st round talent at WR slipped to us in the 3rd round.  You absolutely take him if that's the case and develop him.  Jon Brown had a great year last year but has an injury history.  Plus, he's 30.  Beane's done enough the last three years to truly have the luxury of drafting the best player available.   

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’m saying I feel like we really have only THREE quality NFL WR’s right now, and 2 of them are in their 30’s. Plus they often have injuries to deal with. (It seems like fast guys and hammys are an issue.)  It’s a seriously talented WR draft pool this year. If they feel they can get the right guy at the right value, I’d fully support that. 

Tell me, what is your reasoning for NOT wanting a WR? 

Personally I feel 2nd and 3rd rounders should be starters or at least see significant playing time soon or soonish, granted Buffalo has been blessed most recently with not needing to much. Also WR and RBs tend to be over drafted and bust out the easiest.

17 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Old Mckendrick is surely primed for a big year! You seem too passionate about this thread. I think your username is coming out here

1 minute ago, Bferra13 said:

Old Mckendrick is surely primed for a big year! You seem too passionate about this thread. I think your username is coming out here

Nope I just hate WRs and RBs, especially RBs.

?

Edited by MrSarcasm
  • Haha (+1) 1