Draft Sleepers

I'm a little more interested in who might fall into our lap.  We all ready know that there will likely be a run on WRs early this year.  Another run on some other position could drop a really good player down to us.

Plus I am terrible at picking sleepers.

Edited by Rockinon

WRs Tyler Johnson and Isaiah Hodgins may not be true "sleepers". Most people know their names and they'll likely be drafted in the middle rounds.

What makes them "sleeper picks" for me is that I think both guys will turn out to be among the best in the entire class. It's not just "hey, these guys will turn heads". It's "hey, I think these two are being highly underrated, and they're going to make serious noise in the NFL."

Hodgins, in particular, is a guy I hope winds up a Buffalo Bill.

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I’ll add a few others:

Isaiah Hodgins

Jordan Elliot

Robert Hunt 

I know Alton Robinson isn’t a sleeper per se, but IMO he’s very under-discussed. I have him as a round 2 guy.

I have Robinson as a high 3rd but yea agree he is under discussed. 

Can someone explain what I’m missing with Hodgins? I see a lot of people listing him here. It’s going to be difficult for him to separate at the next level. I just don’t see it but there are people a lot smarter than me that seem to like him. He feels like Duke Williams to me and we already have him.

• Like (+1) 1

Mine is Carter Coughlin Minnesota. He is an undersized edge player Who I think is athletic enough to make the move to Will or Sam as an off ball guy. He was all over the field for Minnesota and the dude can ball. To me he’s the kind of guy who will make a team, be a special teams beast, and eventually develop into a starter somewhere. Ran a 4.57 40 at the combine. 

The video shows him in the backfield and dominating some pretty good offensive lines. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Can someone explain what I’m missing with Hodgins? I see a lot of people listing him here. It’s going to be difficult for him to separate at the next level. I just don’t see it but there are people a lot smarter than me that seem to like him. He feels like Duke Williams to me and we already have him.

I have to say I am with you Kirbs. He is no more than a late day 3 guy in this class to me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Weirdly enough, pretty much all of the guys I'd normally peg as a sleeper per Gunner's criteria seem to have risen up draft boards to roughly where they should be now anyways. Maybe the one guy that still counts as a sleeper in my eyes is Darius Anderson, who I like in the 4th or 5th round but seems to have nearly no draft buzz. His 40 was disappointing, but on film, he looks like he accelerates very well (and I believe his 10 yard split at the combine was very good), and he's simply very difficult to tackle. He slips out of a lot of tackles. His receiving numbers are also pretty good, though not a very large sample size.

•  

Some other guys I like that don't technically qualify per Gunner's criteria:

• Michael Pittman Jr. - USC WR - I think he's a fringe 1st - early 2nd round prospect. For awhile he was looked at as a 3rd-4th rounder but seems like he's starting to settle in the 2nd round picture.
  • Bryan Edwards - SC WR - He's a 2nd round talent but injuries and bad QB play will likely push him to at least the 3rd round if not Day 3.
  • Amik Robertson - Louisiana Tech CB - Almost certainly will exclusively play in the slot, and there's some questions about if he can survive with his relatively small size and non-elite athleticism, but man, he was super impressive in college. I thought he was a sleeper candidate for sure but it seems like he's recently risen up into the 2nd-3rd round picture and that's where he should be taken IMO.
  • Jacob Eason - UW QB - Seems like he's started to slide to the 2nd-3rd round picture, but for me, he's ever so slightly my #4 QB ahead of Justin Herbert. I have Eason, Herbert, Fromm, and Hurts all very close to one another. With Eason, you're going to need a strong O-Line in front of him, but give him protection and he has the arm talent to pick defenses apart. I think he'd be an ideal fit in Dallas, Pittsburgh, or Tampa, though none of them technically need a QB (at least not right away though that's probably for the best in Eason's case).
  • Shea Patterson - UM QB - He might actually qualify for Gunner's criteria, but I don't feel super strong about him. He seems destined to go undrafted at this point and he's admittedly a very flawed prospect in probably serious enough ways that he's at the absolute best a decent backup QB in the NFL, but I think he has enough playmaking ability out of structure to potentially help a team as a backup QB. I still wouldn't take him before the 5th round, but I think he has more potential than most people give him credit for.
Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Weirdly enough, pretty much all of the guys I'd normally peg as a sleeper per Gunner's criteria seem to have risen up draft boards to roughly where they should be now anyways. Maybe the one guy that still counts as a sleeper in my eyes is Darius Anderson, who I like in the 5th or 6th round but seems to have nearly no draft buzz. His 40 was disappointing, but on film, he looks like he accelerates very well (and I believe his 10 yard split at the combine was very good), and he's simply very difficult to tackle. He slips out of a lot of tackles. His receiving numbers are also pretty good, though not a very large sample size.

•  

Some other guys I like that don't technically qualify per Gunner's criteria:

• Michael Pittman Jr. - USC WR - I think he's a fringe 1st - early 2nd round prospect. For awhile he was looked at as a 3rd-4th rounder but seems like he's starting to settle in the 2nd round picture.
  • Bryan Edwards - SC WR - He's a 2nd round talent but injuries and bad QB play will likely push him to at least the 3rd round if not Day 3.
  • Amik Robertson - Louisiana Tech CB - Almost certainly will exclusively play in the slot, and there's some questions about if he can survive with his relatively small size and non-elite athleticism, but man, he was super impressive in college. I thought he was a sleeper candidate for sure but it seems like he's recently risen up into the 2nd-3rd round picture and that's where he should be taken IMO.
  • Jacob Eason - UW QB - Seems like he's started to slide to the 2nd-3rd round picture, but for me, he's ever so slightly my #4 QB ahead of Justin Herbert. I have Eason, Herbert, Fromm, and Hurts all very close to one another. With Eason, you're going to need a strong O-Line in front of him, but give him protection and he has the arm talent to pick defenses apart. I think he'd be an ideal fit in Dallas, Pittsburgh, or Tampa, though none of them technically need a QB (at least not right away though that's probably for the best in Eason's case).
  • Shea Patterson - UM QB - He might actually qualify for Gunner's criteria, but I don't feel super strong about him. He seems destined to go undrafted at this point and he's admittedly a very flawed prospect in probably serious enough ways that he's at the absolute best a decent backup QB in the NFL, but I think he has enough playmaking ability out of structure to potentially help a team as a backup QB. I still wouldn't take him before the 5th round, but I think he has more potential than most people give him credit for.

I am a big Edwards fan - you and I have discussed him previously. 

On the flip side.... even as an UDFA I wouldn't touch Shea Patterson with yours.... ?

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have to say I am with you Kirbs. He is no more than a late day 3 guy in this class to me. 

I concur with you guys. Really enjoyed watching him...his hands and contested catch ability are among the best in the class IMO, but man, to say he struggles to separate is an understatement. I think I've compared him to Duke as well. I think he could be better than Duke, but I don't really see him playing a valuable role in the NFL even if he develops nicely. Like Gunner, I'd take him late on Day 3 and see what happens, but I'm not touching him before that.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am a big Edwards fan - you and I have discussed him previously. 

On the flip side.... even as an UDFA I wouldn't touch Shea Patterson with yours.... ?

It's entirely possible I've propped Shea up a bit due to how bad the bottom of the QB class is this year. Once you get past Hurts (my QB7), it's tough for me to really justify taking any of these guys. Even guys like Patterson and Anthony Gordon have very low ceilings IMO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I’ll add a few others:

Isaiah Hodgins

Jordan Elliot

Robert Hunt 

I know Alton Robinson isn’t a sleeper per se, but IMO he’s very under-discussed. I have him as a round 2 guy.

I liked Alton Robinson when I watched his full games as well.  He seems to be one of the more athletic DEs in the draft this year.

I don't know how teams view Julian Okwara (Notre Dame), but he looks to me like he has considerable pass rush potential as a DE.

22 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I concur with you guys. Really enjoyed watching him...his hands and contested catch ability are among the best in the class IMO, but man, to say he struggles to separate is an understatement. I think I've compared him to Duke as well. I think he could be better than Duke, but I don't really see him playing a valuable role in the NFL even if he develops nicely. Like Gunner, I'd take him late on Day 3 and see what happens, but I'm not touching him before that.

It's entirely possible I've propped Shea up a bit due to how bad the bottom of the QB class is this year. Once you get past Hurts (my QB7), it's tough for me to really justify taking any of these guys. Even guys like Patterson and Anthony Gordon have very low ceilings IMO.

As I said I have the top 7 and Morgan. That is it. Not got anyone else who is draftable. 

Just now, njbuff said:

What happens if the Bills trade into the late first round?

I don’t see it. It’s too expensive especially for a team with minimal needs. I think that it’s more likely that they try to get up to have 3 top 3 round picks. Maybe something like 86, 128 & 167 for 89 &  105. The Bills would then pick 54, 89 and 105. They’d still have 2 6ths and a 7th. They may even use those to come back up again. As an example the 2 6ths can get you back into mid 5. If there’s a guy that you love still there (like Shaq Quarterman) you can come back up again.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t see it. It’s too expensive especially for a team with minimal needs. I think that it’s more likely that they try to get up to have 3 top 3 round picks. Maybe something like 86, 128 & 167 for 89 &  105. The Bills would then pick 54, 89 and 105. They’d still have 2 6ths and a 7th. They may even use those to come back up again. As an example the 2 6ths can get you back into mid 5. If there’s a guy that you love still there (like Shaq Quarterman) you can come back up again.

We know this regime will do what it takes to get a player they love.

While I am with you that I don't see them trading back into the first round.......... don't count it out either.