Yikes! Nadia the Tiger tests positive for covid-19 at Bronx Zoo

Suffering from dry cough and loss of appetite

https://www.businessinsider.com/tiger-tests-positive-for-covid-19-bronx-zoo-in-nyc-2020-4

" The Wildlife Conservation Society said that Nadia, three other tigers, and three African lions have developed dry coughs and decreased appetite, but are expected to recover. None of the zoo's other big cats, including tigers in another area of the zoo, have shown any coronavirus symptoms.  The cats were infected by a caretaker who had COVID-19 but was asymptomatic, according to the Wildlife Conservation Society. They don't yet know how the virus develops or affects big cats."

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/newsroom/news/sa_by_date/sa-2020/ny-zoo-covid-19

"Anyone sick with COVID-19 should restrict contact with animals, out of an abundance of caution including pets, during their illness, just as they would with other people. Although there have not been reports of pets becoming sick with COVID-19 in the United States, it is still recommended that people sick with COVID-19 limit contact with animals until more information is known about the virus. If a sick person must care for a pet or be around animals, they should wash their hands before and after the interaction. "

Except that if the keeper was asymptomatic or presymptomatic when they infected the tigers, "avoid contact if sick" doesn't help too much.

If animals can catch the virus, can they give it back to people?

At this time, there is no evidence to suggest that any animals, including pets or livestock, can spread COVID-19 infection to people.

Errr...except that, if it originally spread from animals to people as is believed, what reason is there to believe it wouldn't do so now?

Now you might have to get a bit more "up close and personal" than any of us are likely to get to a tiger or a lion, but a housecat?

39 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

They need to consult with that vet that treated both Smuckers and Kramer.

So, who got the treat of shoving a stick up the nose of a tiger?!?! ?

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Augie said:

So, who got the treat of shoving a stick up the nose of a tiger?!?! ?

They only tested one tiger  because they put it under general anesthesia before putting a swab up its nose or whatever they do

2 hours ago, par73 said:

The positive for the big cats is they generally deal better with this than people.

How do we know?  These are the first big cats known to be infected.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They only tested one tiger  because they put it under general anesthesia before putting a swab up its nose or whatever they do

That’s what I assumed, but going without the anesthesia would have had record revenue on PPV. We are starving for sports, sadly. It would be like a Roman gladiator! (With a swab for a sword.) 

I kid!

Mostly.....

Seriously, that’s really strange stuff. We have a Golden Retriever that people want to pet and play with. I mean, she could do commercials. We went out of state to get her from a special breeder, and she is the iconic Golden from a great bloodline. I walk her on a long retractable leash, and people think they can touch her. NO! STFA from my dog! 

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s what I assumed, but going without the anesthesia would have had record revenue on PPV. We are starving for sports, sadly. It would be like a Roman gladiator! (With a swab for a sword.) 

I kid!

Mostly.....

Seriously, that’s really strange stuff. We have a Golden Retriever that people want to pet and play with. I mean, she could do commercials. We went out of state to get her from a special breeder, and she is the iconic Golden from a great bloodline. I walk her on a long retractable leash, and people think they can touch her. NO! STFA from my dog! 

I feel ya.  We have a Samoyed.  In case unfamiliar (not our dog, but a close match in appearance).  She looks like a smiling cotton puff.  EVERYONE wants to pet her - and she has a sunny, friendly disposition.  Her answer to the question "may I pet your dog?" is always "Why YES!  YES!  CERTAINLY!"

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7093/7255916596_73db3a7bdb.jpg

Now I feel the same way - if someone is infectious, they might pass the virus to her; if we are infected and don't know it, she might be harboring the virus and pass it to them.

4 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Well at least we can be assured we're solid on test kits now that they are testing animals. 

It's done at a different location, by an animal testing facility.

But yeah, test kits haven't been limiting for a while, now it's protective clothing for the testers, nasal swabs, and sometimes equipment to run the tests.

• Awesome! (+1) 1