Petty Whine - put it here. Let it all out

4 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Now is not really the time to worry about that 2% milk fat.    Be bold!!      lol

When I was first married I drank two gallons of whole milk a week. The wife slowly weened me down to skim milk. If I tried to drink whole milk now I think I might vomit. It’s all what you are used to! So......I grabbed a different looking container of skim milk. I felt rushed as people were NOT respecting my space. Only when I got home did I realize it’s skim SOY milk. I’ll give that a shot tomorrow, then maybe back to the store. 

Another petty whine is that I have not gone out to eat in a month! My daily routine includes going out for a late (2:00-3:30pm) lunch (after tennis at the now closed park), settling in with something tasty while reading my book. I always carry a book in my car. I’m a creature of habit. Most places will bring me my Arnold Palmer when I walk in the door, then ask “do you even want a menu?”, or “tuna tacos again?”, stuff like that. I go from lunch to the grocery store for dinner, so I never impulse purchase as I’m already full. Now.......I get NONE of that! 

46 minutes ago, Augie said:

I made my big trip out for shopping yesterday, April 4. The expiration date on all the skim milk was......April 4. 

We've been getting food shopping online. 2 out of the last 3 weeks, I've not had my Alpro soya milk.

I've had to have regular milk on my Shreddies like a peasant! Oh, the humanity.

• Haha (+1) 1

My wife’s dream of a fabulous new bathroom had just gotten started and had reached the point of gutting the old bathroom and dressing area back to the studs.   The  electrician and his helper had just started work. Neither of them seemed at all concerned about  COVID19.  However, my wife had a panic attack about our daughter being alone in her apartment in Brooklyn and drove down to bring her home.  When they returned, my daughter announced that she had just received a note from work that two of her co-workers had tested positive.  At this, the two electricians literally (I am using that room correctly) ran from the house and put on gloves and masks.  They returned only to quickly grab their tools and bolt to their truck.  We learned later that they are still working, but only on projects involving never occupied buildings.  We still have a ladder they left behind.  

For this project, we had tiles ordered and paid for, but the delivery kept getting delayed.  We found out the tiles were in a warehouse, but they were risking deliveries only for big projects, not little ones like ours.  My wife, a better negotiator than I, said that’s okay, we will just get the credit card company to reverse the charges.  At this, they said let’s not get hasty.  We will try to deliver your order, um, someday.  My wife says, you have until 5:00 PM Friday or I reverse the charges.  The tiles did show up a little after 4:00 PM Friday. I tried to tip the delivery guys in cash, but they would not even go near it (I had left it on a table).  I mention this only because a couple of days later, we received another delivery (different guys) and they gladly took the tip my wife offered them:  a couple of rolls of toilet paper.

So, my petty whine is that we currently have on one and a half baths, instead of the two and a half bath at we previously had, and no hope of getting my wife’s dream bath done anytime soon.

By the way, I am well aware of how trivial this is compared to what other people are suffering.  The father of a very good friend went into the hospital (in Italy) with a broken hip and got COVID19 while there.  

Edited by Epictetus

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Go to Olive Garden and get take out. Put on some Italian restaurant music on Pandora.  Go rent a Pope costume for after dinner fun. 

Not a bad plan, but I'd look for a small local Italian restaurant still doing curbside or delivery.  Support the Little Guy with a Dream

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

'Refugee' is especially nasal.  DC Tom concurs.

One of my best friends considers my liking for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers to be a serious character flaw in me.

3 hours ago, Steve O said:

Too late, I judged you at latte

Didn't you mean too latte?  "It's a Beverage, not a Character Flaw"

3 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

Some don’t know that you can freeze milk. If you get a chance to get a bit extra on your day out, freeze some. Allow for expansion or expect leakage upon thawing...in the fridge

I do know that, actually, but when the limit is 2 gallons, 2 fits in the fridge and keeps long enough.  We bought 3 gallons last trip because we were buying groceries for my mom, put 2 gallons with our groceries and 1 1/2 gallons with her stuff (1/2 for her, extra for us).  Minor skullduggery.

.....sad thing is I'm told some farmers have been instructed to dump their milk.  Milk processing plants missing their institutional customers, not re-tooled yet to make more cheese or package for consumers.  Damned shame.

4 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

We were supposed to leave for Aruba three weeks from today. Oh and I’m low on whiskey. 

The whiskey is very important.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So 1 cup of coffee per day when I oh-so-badly want two, that's my Petty Whine.  

And why yes, I do know lots of people have lots more to worry about - that's why I titled this "Petty Whine"

What's yours?

Remember, no judging!

Great idea for a thread.  While it might be hard to find during this time, I buy shelf-stable milk from Dollar Tree for $1 a quart. It comes in tetrapak style containers. It keeps for a year or so on the shelf. Just stick it in the fridge to get cold before using. Then it lasts just like regular milk--7-10 days. I can't tell the difference from fresh, but I'm not drinking glasses of milk. Just in cereal and stuff. I can't imagine you will notice any difference in the late. Regular grocery stores usually carry it too, but it's over $2/qt.

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

My wife and I booked a creek side B&B for next week.  We had to cancel.  I was really looking forward to it. 

I usually have a banana with breakfast.  They won’t stay edible if shopping every other week.  One week with a banana, next week without.  Silver lining: I’m getting pretty good at making banana bread as they get too soft.

I toss the bananas in the refrigerator and they ripe much more slowly. When they look like they need to be used, and I'm not ready, I toss them whole in the freezer. Then, like you, I make bread or muffins. Mine, of course, are usually packed with medical marijuana goodness!

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Go to Olive Garden and get take out. Put on some Italian restaurant music on Pandora.  Go rent a Pope costume for after dinner fun. 

Olive Garden? Why are you being so mean? 

I moved into a new apartment during December. I'm still not completely unpacked---which should be my major whine. I have hand sanitizer and masks in a box around here, but no idea which one. I'll get to it--tomorrow, maybe.

My new place has a nice sized kitchen, but it only has a 1/2 sized sink. Seriously, WTF? There is enough room for a double sink, or one full sized one. But a stainless steel plate sits where the rest of the sink should be. The other day I was thinking, "This is the worst thing in my life!"  Exaggeration for sure,  I suppose. But still, if that's near the worst thing in my life, I should stop complaining. 

• Like (+1) 1

The county's recycling program is put on hold.

With the garage full of toilet paper, I have no room for 

the recycling storage.  I will just have 

to trash the newspapers, cat food cans, etc.

And my Myrtle Beach golf trip for early May got waxed..

:(

20 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

My petty whine?  Two words...

Zoom Meetings.

I hear that, but perhaps for a different reason. I've gotten completely smashed during Zoom happy hour/meetups. I had two each on Friday and Saturday night. Hangovers on Saturday and Sunday---and I rarely get hungover.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

Great idea for a thread.  While it might be hard to find during this time, I buy shelf-stable milk from Dollar Tree for $1 a quart.

Interesting - no idea Dollar Tree had this.  I wonder if ours does?  Would be a great buffer against the stores being out one day, would love to have some.

I toss the bananas in the refrigerator and they ripe much more slowly. When they look like they need to be used, and I'm not ready, I toss them whole in the freezer.

Anyone remember that old Chiquita Banana ad ending "But, bananas like the climate of the very, very tropical equator So you should never put bananas in the refrigerator"?

Read this book about bananas some years back - not remembering title for sure but think it was "Banana - The Fate of the Fruit That Changed the World" by Dan Koeppel.  Lots of interesting stuff in there. 

Anyway, one tid-bit was that jingle is total bull####. 

The advance that allowed bananas to be transported, marketed, and sold in the US was, in fact, refrigerated ships and railroad cars. 

The jingle was designed so people would keep their bananas at room temperature where they would go to mush faster.

My new place has a nice sized kitchen, but it only has a 1/2 sized sink. Seriously, WTF? There is enough room for a double sink, or one full sized one. But a stainless steel plate sits where the rest of the sink should be.

Really dumb question, but are you sure that stainless steel plate isn't a cover for the other half of the sink?

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

other than streaming services, there are very few diversions that aren't pandemic focused. 

Andrew Lloyd Weber is streaming a musical for free every Friday for 48 hrs.  This week was Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Really dumb question, but are you sure that stainless steel plate isn't a cover for the other half of the sink?

Not a dumb question at all. In fact, when I first looked at the apartment, I just assumed that is what it was. Alas, nope.

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

My petty whine?  Two words...

Zoom Meetings.

Completely agree. We had our most recently faculty meeting via Zoom. At home, I am accustomed to run around without a shirt, as my wife likes the temperature Sahara-like. Fortunately, we switched off the video after about a minute to preserve bandwidth.

Edited by DrW

Chances are 50/50 that my right leg below my knee will be saved. Tough spot for me now....so happy to be at home now after 4 months away.I do need another surgery because of a bypass issue...home nurse care twice a week to prevent infection.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Chances are 50/50 that my right leg below my knee will be saved. Tough spot for me now....so happy to be at home now after 4 months away.I do need another surgery because of a bypass issue...home nurse care twice a week to prevent infection.

Yowza!  That's not a whine, that's a legit serious issue.  Best wishes for your full recovery.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1