Petty Whine - put it here. Let it all out

No judging, please.

So we all have one, you know it.  Overall *knock wood* we are minimally impacted from covid-19 so far.  Major concern: 87 yr old mother with heart failure/pacemaker.

We are trying to shop every 2 weeks and at a minimum of stores.   Goal is one trip to Aldi and one to another store (Costco, Target, etc) in rotation, plus some "order online, pick up at curb" to support small independent local businesses (tea, chocolate, hardware, bakery - we call when we're close walking the dog around the neighborhood, they set bag outside on sidewalk and go inside, we pick it up when they're back inside).  We're not there yet - 11 days between Aldi trips because we could only buy 2 gallons of milk last time.

My Petty Whine is that to support the "every 2 weeks groceries, 1x month Costco" thing, Mathematics said I had to cut down my coffee consumption.  I like two nice cappucinos or lattes every morning.  Uses 1/2-3/4 c. foamed milk per cup.  Use 0.53 oz coffee per cup x 2 coffee drinkers.  Milk for spouse's cereal and allowance for cooking/baking and yeah, 3 gallons lasts 16 days if and only if we each cut down to 1 cup/day.  2 lbs of coffee lasts 30 days if and only if we each drink 1 cup/day.

So 1 cup of coffee per day when I oh-so-badly want two, that's my Petty Whine.  

And why yes, I do know lots of people have lots more to worry about - that's why I titled this "Petty Whine"

What's yours?

Remember, no judging!

My wife and I booked a creek side B&B for next week.  We had to cancel.  I was really looking forward to it. 

I usually have a banana with breakfast.  They won’t stay edible if shopping every other week.  One week with a banana, next week without.  Silver lining: I’m getting pretty good at making banana bread as they get too soft.

Just now, Gray Beard said:

My wife and I booked a creek side B&B for next week.  We had to cancel.  I was really looking forward to it. 

I usually have a banana with breakfast.  They won’t stay edible if shopping every other week.  One week with a banana, next week without.  Silver lining: I’m getting pretty good at making banana bread as they get too soft.

Green ungassed bananas never ripen.  I speak from experience.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

We were supposed to leave for Aruba three weeks from today. Oh and I’m low on whiskey. 

We were supposed to leave for a Grand Canyon/Monument Valley (and points in between) trip on Thursday. Booked the GC hotel a year ago. 

Day to day it's not running to the store for that one thing we're missing. Like limes for the Margarita's or something different for dinner. And we haven't had take-out for three weeks. 

9 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Some don’t know that you can freeze milk. If you get a chance to get a bit extra on your day out, freeze some. Allow for expansion or expect leakage upon thawing...in the fridge

By some accounts Covid is about to over-run my area in the next two weeks. Wifey and I were just talking about stocking up and freezing milk. Nice tip on expansion.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No judging, please.

So we all have one, you know it.  Overall *knock wood* we are minimally impacted from covid-19 so far.  Major concern: 87 yr old mother with heart failure/pacemaker.

We are trying to shop every 2 weeks and at a minimum of stores.   Goal is one trip to Aldi and one to another store (Costco, Target, etc) in rotation, plus some "order online, pick up at curb" to support small independent local businesses (tea, chocolate, hardware, bakery - we call when we're close walking the dog around the neighborhood, they set bag outside on sidewalk and go inside, we pick it up when they're back inside).  We're not there yet - 11 days between Aldi trips because we could only buy 2 gallons of milk last time.

My Petty Whine is that to support the "every 2 weeks groceries, 1x month Costco" thing, Mathematics said I had to cut down my coffee consumption.  I like two nice cappucinos or lattes every morning.  Uses 1/2-3/4 c. foamed milk per cup.  Use 0.53 oz coffee per cup x 2 coffee drinkers.  Milk for spouse's cereal and allowance for cooking/baking and yeah, 3 gallons lasts 16 days if and only if we each cut down to 1 cup/day.  2 lbs of coffee lasts 30 days if and only if we each drink 1 cup/day.

So 1 cup of coffee per day when I oh-so-badly want two, that's my Petty Whine.  

And why yes, I do know lots of people have lots more to worry about - that's why I titled this "Petty Whine"

What's yours?

Remember, no judging!

Too late, I judged you at latte

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

On a more serious note, there's more cat food in the house than human food.  ?  ?  Not sure how this will play out.  Stay tuned.

What kind? I don't know how good the dry stuff would be, maybe if added with milk it would be like cereal?

Some of the canned stuff might be pretty good and looks like something you might make yourself....

1 hour ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

We were supposed to leave for Aruba three weeks from today. Oh and I’m low on whiskey. 

I'm supposed to be leaving on a cruise today.  And have another week off in mid-July in the Adirondacks. That one I'm hoping is not cancelled. 

• Haha (+1) 1

We were shopping regularly but now all the stores, even the local market down the street, have gone to the big-box policy of lining up on the sidewalk and only allowing X people into the store at a time, so we gotta plan to avoid store-rush hour now.

And it's been raining all weekend.

1 hour ago, Guffalo said:

Wife's 60th birthday was this weekend, and we were supposed to go to Italy for 10 days, all cancelled. Still trying to figure out something special for her.

Go to Olive Garden and get take out. Put on some Italian restaurant music on Pandora.  Go rent a Pope costume for after dinner fun. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Was supposed to be leaving for Puerto Rico with my son this Friday.

Also had plans for an annual draft get-together with friends that we were all looking forward to.

Everything happens for a reason, I suppose.