I would love the Bills to pair up Perine with Singletary.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think he has gamebreaking speed.  I think that he’s just looking to go north-south afap.  No side to side.  No thinking.  Just go straight

Don't agree based on the videos.  They show him consistently looking to get outside but with enough sense to cut in if nothing's there. 

4 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Don't agree based on the videos.  They show him consistently looking to get outside but with enough sense to cut in if nothing's there. 

On the highlights.  Right

I don’t see any power or make you miss in his game. 

maybe I’m missing something, won’t be the first time

Edited by NewEra

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

NFL COMP - Jonathan Williams

Didn't we have one of those already?

I was waiting for this^ ?

To be relevant - good vision, solid acceleration, and like that he can catch on third downs. Still think there are better guys to pair with Devin, but wouldn’t mind this in the least.

Edited by ctk232

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think he has gamebreaking speed.  I think that he’s just looking to go north-south afap.  No side to side.  No thinking.  Just go straight

Perine doesn’t. What he’s really good at is varying his speed to disrupt pursuit angles from off ball defenders. He seems to have a plan of attack with the called play and a backup lane, presses the LOS, makes his choice, then goes. He saves that last gear for turning the corner or accelerating in the secondary. How good he is at the next level is going to come down to how good his Oline is. He’s not the type to make something out of nothing a la Singletary. However, if you just go by game speed he’s just fast enough to crack some big runs, especially if he can trust his blockers. Certainly not going to outrun NFL corners in a 50 yard foot race. Whether or not our line is good enough to maximize his potential is debatable. It’s certainly better than what Perine ran behind last year, so he’s worth consideration.... Might look phenomenal behind a solid Oline that relies on an inside zone scheme. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction

16 hours ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

I did explain on page 1 of this thread.

Not really comparing their strengths and weaknesses.  What was their college production and NFL projections?  When you are the only one advocating a position you are either wrong or a genius. 

I trust Beane and Co. to make the right decision. I say that as a caveat because IMO, Perine looks like just another good college RB but not impressive. He has 'meh' speed, he has good cuts, but of all the highlights the OP was showing, there were big holes in college football and if they were the NFL, they'd be HUGE holes. I don't see him running around the edge in the NFL, and I don't see him being overly elusive either. I just don't see anything here that would make me want to pair him with Motor, but with the Draft - who the hell knows?

Beane does....that's the answer in my mind.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:58 AM, Just Joshin' said:

Not really comparing their strengths and weaknesses.  What was their college production and NFL projections?  When you are the only one advocating a position you are either wrong or a genius. 

Im not a big stats guy as i feel stats can be misleading depending on game situations. I dont really compare players vs other players. I mostly watch alot of college football because i bet on football every weekend and take mental notes of whose wins/cost me money.

Case in point when i betted against Florida Perine always made plays even with a weak oline and shaky QB play. That i wouldve assumed he would be a early round draft pick. To hear we could get him in the 5th round would be a coup imo.

I only watched Swift when i betted on GA vs S. Carolina and Swift probably had his worst game ever. What was there to like about him i didnt see.

I watched alot of Dobbins and Taylor. I was very high on Dobbins coming into this season and he seemed to miss holes he should've hit. Dobbins does have very good contact balance and is able to break tackles. But seemed very passive in blitz pick ups.

Taylor played for the best run blocking college team in the country. He had gaping holes to run through. So other than his break away speed i dont see him making much happen on his own. He does remind me of CJ Spiller in with less wiggle.

The player i want the most at RB is AJ Dillon. He reminds me of Derrick Henry. Then Perine, Akers, Gibson in that order.

But im not a draft expert just a guy that bets $$$ on games and forms my own opinions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

Im not a big stats guy as i feel stats can be misleading depending on game situations. I dont really compare players vs other players. I mostly watch alot of college football because i bet on football every weekend and take mental notes of whose wins/cost me money.

Case in point when i betted against Florida Perine always made plays even with a weak oline and shaky QB play. That i wouldve assumed he would be a early round draft pick. To hear we could get him in the 5th round would be a coup imo.

I only watched Swift when i betted on GA vs S. Carolina and Swift probably had his worst game ever. What was there to like about him i didnt see.

I watched alot of Dobbins and Taylor. I was very high on Dobbins coming into this season and he seemed to miss holes he should've hit. Dobbins does have very good contact balance and is able to break tackles. But seemed very passive in blitz pick ups.

Taylor played for the best run blocking college team in the country. He had gaping holes to run through. So other than his break away speed i dont see him making much happen on his own. He does remind me of CJ Spiller in with less wiggle.

The player i want the most at RB is AJ Dillon. He reminds me of Derrick Henry. Then Perine, Akers, Gibson in that order.

But im not a draft expert just a guy that bets $$$ on games and forms my own opinions.

When it actually costs you then demands your undivided attention. I admittedly don’t watch college and I haven’t even seen the vast majority of RBs in this draft but with that being said what I do have, and I say this modestly, I have a pretty keen eye for football players, RBs in particular. It’s not hard to see that even without all the measurable and offensive strategies that this kid has got that thang. It can’t be taught and it can’t be learnt, it’s a natural instinct and this kid has got it. When it gets to be crunch time I have a feeling that He is one of those players that you would want the ball in his hands. Don’t get me wrong, the Bills have several play makers but to add this kid would be one heck of a way to add another piece to their offensive arsenal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Has anyone heard anything from Beane as to his approach for the draft and the RB position?  I know he and McDermott have both made comments that they like Yeldon but him consistently being inactive last season doesn’t support that.

So, last off-season, with McCoy already on roster, they added Gore and Yeldon in free agency. They also drafted Singletary in the 3rd round supposedly for the future, as for after McCoy’s contract would end after the 2019 season.  Instead, they liked what they saw of Singletary so much that they let McCoy go and Singletary had a bigger role.  Gore faded as the season wore on and isn’t likely to return, leaving Singletary and Yeldon. 

So, ignoring any difference in RB talent level for the 2020 draft vs the 2019 draft, would taking a RB with pick 54 in the 2nd round indicate to the fan base, team and most importantly Singletary that they needed better talent at the position?  Since McDermott/Beane have said they don’t care where a player was drafted in building their roster and lineups, I would say it doesn’t matter.  Since they’ve said they need more explosive playmakers, if a guy is available at 54 that they think fills that need and is perhaps BPA on their board, they likely wouldn’t hesitate to draft him.

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

When it actually costs you then demands your undivided attention. I admittedly don’t watch college and I haven’t even seen the vast majority of RBs in this draft but with that being said what I do have, and I say this modestly, I have a pretty keen eye for football players, RBs in particular. It’s not hard to see that even without all the measurable and offensive strategies that this kid has got that thang. It can’t be taught and it can’t be learnt, it’s a natural instinct and this kid has got it. When it gets to be crunch time I have a feeling that He is one of those players that you would want the ball in his hands. Don’t get me wrong, the Bills have several play makers but to add this kid would be one heck of a way to add another piece to their offensive arsenal.

Yeah i think you definitely see the game differently when you gonna lose your money over it. You would cringe over every little detail or mistake. I am definitely a fan of Perine becoming a Bill.  He was the best RB i watched all year imo. I play parlays and teasers all the time during football season. So i watch a lot of east coast football. 

But i also trust in Beane's judgement if he does take one of the top rated RB's in round 2. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Memphis’ Antonio Gibson has been called the biggest sleeper of all RBs. Got to love the versatility of this guy! If not Perine then I would have no problem if the Bills were to take Gibson later in the draft, you can’t teach speed and this guy has got it.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

RBs are a dime a dozen so it doesn't matter who they grab.

Well, it certainly mattered when Singletary was not on the field at the end of last season?

"RB's are a dime a dozen" theory went to bed when those situations arose, didn't it?

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Well, it certainly mattered when Singletary was not on the field at the end of last season?

"RB's are a dime a dozen" theory went to bed when those situations arose, didn't it?

The best way to say it is productive running backs are the easiest to find in a draft. It's not like you can just plug and play anyone though, which seems to be how many fans feel.

That said I think a speed RB over a power RB is the way to go when pairing with Singletary. I like how SF built their running backs. They really don't have a single power back, all speed guys. Their OL and system do the work of wearing down a defense.

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

We are talking about drafting RBs not some old dude that should have retired. Nice try though...

Edited by Hardhatharry

5 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

RBs are a dime a dozen so it doesn't matter who they grab.

just look at the past few drafts to see this is wrong, the good RBs in this league are usually taken in the first three rounds. Sure there are guys like Ekeler, Lindsay, Carson that become studs but they seem to be few and far between lately. 

On 4/5/2020 at 10:25 AM, Tipster19 said:

What a tandem these 2 would make. To me they have similar qualities. Some are predicting that Perine could go as late as the 4th or 5th rd. I don’t know where he is going to be drafted at but I wouldn’t be against using our 3rd rder on him.

Oh yeah, sign me up.  I would love to see at least one Offensive play maker added in this draft and he looks like a great complimentary piece to Singletary.  I would be happy with this pick.