Stephon Gilmore seems to think covering new Bills WR Stefon Diggs will be 'light work'

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Well it’s the same logic used here all the time with FAs that went else where. “The team sucked with him here”.  As if that means the player sucks. 

I don’t think them winning the super bowl makes them great players. Their performance on the field does. More so in Gilmores case. Watkins has had flashes just inconsistent, but you can argue Chiefs don’t win Super bowl without him. 

How so?  As a receiver you are only as good as the # of times they throw to you & whether you catch or drop the ball.

Are you saying, with proof that Watkins is running bad patterns, not getting open or dropping passes?

The revisionist history on Sammy Watkins around here is nothing short of delusional.

There is this perception of how good he is and then there is the reality of his on the field production.

The reality is that over the past 4 years has been an average receiver in this league who has been plagued with inconsistent play and injuries, who once in a long while can muster up a string of 2-3 good games in a row.

The perception of him is that he is this “very good NFL” wide receiver.    Grant it, that opinion of him has gradually diminished over the years but what is the basis?  It certainly isn’t his production.  What is the relative scale they are looking at?   The dude absolutely will disappear for several games at a time.   That’s a fact, an undeniable one at that.  Because when someone states that a player is “very good” then to me that implies at the very least top 10 in the league.  There is no reasonable objective metric where you can argue that Watkins is an even top 30 WR in this league over the past 4 years.

With that said, no big deal of Gilmore “liking” a tweet from a fan.   Making a mountain out of a molehill but I’m sure Diggs will remember it.

Gilmore was always a good to very good DB with the Bills and he took it to the next level with the Patriots.  He deserves all the accolades in the world.

The reason why he wasn’t beloved here is because he comes across as aloof.  And when you have a losing organization such as the Bills, fans don’t like players who don’t endear themselves with the fan base.  They want passion.  Not saying that was right or wrong but it is what it is.

Edited by Magox
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Considering John Brown "socially distanced" him, Gilmore should STFU

Gilmore is going with his standard line: “That was somebody else’s guy. I’m not pointing fingers, I’m just going to stare at somebody.”

I’m not buying it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billrooter said:

Dopey come on panties? First up that would never be said to my face. I have to admit it was a question as I guess I haven't watched the Patriots as much as you have? Dopey were you watching the nfl before everything became flagged in offenses favor? The game today is so much different for NFL quarterbacks, with the basically no contact on the quarterback to not touching the receiver. The game has changed so much and hugging f Tom Brady even gets farted on, here's the flag. The guy is definitely a great Qb as much as it pains me to say it, but Qb's of previous eras were playing a much in a much tougher time to play the position. When was the last time you even seen Brady take a good lick, it happens but far and away way less than pre 2000s? The part I don't understand is a lot of people in this thread and previous threads seem like closet Patriots fans, Dopey do you have a Tom Brady jersey in your closet?

Bills fan all the way. Been a fan since around 1974. I scream at the tv as much as anybody when soft penalties are called when a QB is hit. No closet fan here. I have admitted on TBD more than once that I grew to appreciate their winning ways. Tom won a ton without much offensive talent for most of his 20 year career. Doesn't mean I like him. I'm as glad as anyone here NE seems to be on the outs as a dominating franchise. And yes, I'm a Gilmore fan, but as someone mentioned earlier, getting rid of him and Darby was the right thing to do. Unlike Rex, Mcdermott knew better than to try and fit a square peg into a round hole. Gilmore didn't fit what we do on defense. The only jerseys I own are a Bruce Smith jersey I bought back in his playing days and London Fletcher.  

As for the panties comment, in my 1st post I jokingly asked anyone with their panties in a bunch to at least let us know what kind they were. I even joked about my panties. I think everyone else here got the joke. Not everyone liked it, but got it. So far, only one person seemed offended. Hey, hopefully we can enjoy a great season by the Bills when all of this is over. In the meantime, stay safe and GO BILLS!

I wear boxers, by the way.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe when Rex showed up and ruined the defense, but before that what made you think Gilmore didn’t want to be here?

His unwillingness to tackle, mostly. It meant to me that he was unwilling to put his body at risk because he was playing for himself and not the team. That was my interpretation. And he just never seemed that engaged. I know he's a quiet guy, but I've seen him play with a lot more effort in NE than he did in Buffalo. You can tell he's giving it his all out there and I never once got that sense when he was in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, MJS said:

His unwillingness to tackle, mostly. It meant to me that he was unwilling to put his body at risk because he was playing for himself and not the team. That was my interpretation. And he just never seemed that engaged. I know he's a quiet guy, but I've seen him play with a lot more effort in NE than he did in Buffalo. You can tell he's giving it his all out there and I never once got that sense when he was in Buffalo.

you aren’t wrong.  There were a lot of weak efforts and arm tackles that Gilmore missed last year

48 minutes ago, MJS said:

how about his “look around and try to blame the safety after big completions”

look? That became a staple look. 

I do think he has improved in NE, but he remains a real grabby player and just gets away with more in NE than he did here. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Gilmore? He had trouble with John Brown, Diggs is gonna hand him his azs. 

Go Bills!!!

and, who will cover brown and Beasley.   cant wait for this season.  hope we have them week 1

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The hate here for two very good NFL players Who happened to also be good players for the Bills is freaking hilarious. Jeezus.

One very good NFL player.  Watkins is an average NFL player.  If either played up to their potential or acted like they cared about being Bills the hate wouldnt be so heavy.

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

Bills fan all the way. Been a fan since around 1974. I scream at the tv as much as anybody when soft penalties are called when a QB is hit. No closet fan here. I have admitted on TBD more than once that I grew to appreciate their winning ways. Tom won a ton without much offensive talent for most of his 20 year career. Doesn't mean I like him. I'm as glad as anyone here NE seems to be on the outs as a dominating franchise. And yes, I'm a Gilmore fan, but as someone mentioned earlier, getting rid of him and Darby was the right thing to do. Unlike Rex, Mcdermott knew better than to try and fit a square peg into a round hole. Gilmore didn't fit what we do on defense. The only jerseys I own are a Bruce Smith jersey I bought back in his playing days and London Fletcher.  

As for the panties comment, in my 1st post I jokingly asked anyone with their panties in a bunch to at least let us know what kind they were. I even joked about my panties. I think everyone else here got the joke. Not everyone liked it, but got it. So far, only one person seemed offended. Hey, hopefully we can enjoy a great season by the Bills when all of this is over. In the meantime, stay safe and GO BILLS!

I wear boxers, by the way.

Well I had you pegged wrong Dopey I figured you were of the younger generation. I wasn't offended hard to tell on here sometimes so I understand, and yes i read the panties comment and understood just had never been accused of wearing any before LOL. You got me beat BTW I believe it was around 79-80 I became a Bills fan....old man.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

This from a guy who was humiliated by our ‘other’ wideout in front of a national audience. Pay him more, Bill!

He was *literally* voted the NFL defensive player of the year for 2019, and this after a great 2018 season and a phenomenal SB vs the Rams (forced fumble and key INT). Just stop, guys.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

One very good NFL player.  Watkins is an average NFL player.  If either played up to their potential or acted like they cared about being Bills the hate wouldnt be so heavy.

I think more highly of Watkins than most here, but I’ll agree that it’s arguable. His postseason performances the last couple of years have played a big role in shaping my opinion.

Edited by dave mcbride

Oh good a hate on Gilmore thread. We haven't had one of these in at least a week. 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Glimore played plenty well here. The hate he got because he didn't smile more was pathetic and petty at the time and even more so now. 

• Like (+1) 1