Football movie “Greater” must see!

Frez

Bored and going through Netflix yesterday morning I came across this fantastic movie. It’s a must watch for all us football fans. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 

Netflix 

Greater

The story of Brandon Burlsworth, possibly the greatest walk-on in the history of college football.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2950418/

Edited by Frez
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'll check it out.

Yesterday, ESPN ran all the "Payton Places" on ESPN2 (they are usually on the ESPN+ paywall). It is "must see TV" for any football fan. My wife and I were going to do a Self-Quarantine date night and watch a movie. We ended up watching these for four hours. They are informative, funny, and engaging--it is Payton Manning at his best, and with a lot of football legends. The one with Fred Beletnikoff is gold, the Immaculate Reception Investigation was fascinating, they were all good! If they run them again, I highly recommend them to you.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I''l check it out.

Yesterday, ESPN ran all the "Payton Places" on ESPN2 (they are usually on the ESPN+ paywall). It is "must see TV" for any football fan. My wife and I were go to do a Self-Quarantine date night and watch a movie. We ended up watching these for four hours. They are informative, funny, and engaging--it is Payton Manning at his best, and with a lot of football legends. The one with Fred Beletnikoff is gold, the Immaculate Reception Investigation was fascinating, they were all good! If they run them again, I highly recommend them to you.

I have seen all but the final two.  The show is great...Manning is fantastic.  To me, the best one was the Elvis episode.  I consider myself a bit of a music guy, and I love Elvis.  I knew he was a big Browns fan...but I am not sure how I never knew about his obsession with football in general...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CSBill said:

I''l check it out.

Yesterday, ESPN ran all the "Payton Places" on ESPN2 (they are usually on the ESPN+ paywall). It is "must see TV" for any football fan. My wife and I were going to do a Self-Quarantine date night and watch a movie. We ended up watching these for four hours. They are informative, funny, and engaging--it is Payton Manning at his best, and with a lot of football legends. The one with Fred Beletnikoff is gold, the Immaculate Reception Investigation was fascinating, they were all good! If they run them again, I highly recommend them to you.

It's a great series.  Manning is very entertaining and he approaches each topic with a unique angle.  

• Like (+1) 1

I watched "Greater" and thought it was okay.  Not being Christian, the faith-based sports story didn't resonate with me as much as it would have if it was simply a feel-good football tale.

"Greater" scores a 7.2 on IMDB which is a solid - but not great - score.   A few fans scored it a perfect 10.  Naysayers, on the other hand, said things like this:

I am a Christian myself, God does not offend me in any way, nor his many followers. But what does offend me is the feeling of being duped into being given a sermon about "Gods will" every couple of minutes. I also feel that had the makers not concentrated so much on "spreading the word", and centered on the story of a sporting underdog done great, it would have been a good film.

My Christian wife, like me, also thought the movie was merely 'okay.'   I'll add though that I probably would never have learned the story of Brandon Burlsworth, an impressive young man, if not for the movie.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/5/2020 at 5:42 AM, CSBill said:

I''l check it out.

You're either an awful husband or you have a great wife. If I subjected the Mrs. to four hours of football programming...well, it wouldn't last one hour.

I was a HUGE Raiders fan as a little kid and Fred B. (Erie, PA boy) was my favorite player. I had a large poster of him on my wall. My parents were pissed when we tried taking it off the wall and the the sheet rock it was stuck to came down with it. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/5/2020 at 4:39 AM, Frez said:

Bored and going through Netflix yesterday morning I came across this fantastic movie. It’s a must watch for all us football fans. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 

Netflix 

Greater

The story of Brandon Burlsworth, possibly the greatest walk-on in the history of college football.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2950418/

Thanks bud? 

Something to watch on the midnight shift tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BisonMan said:

You're either an awful husband or you have a great wife. If I subjected the Mrs. to four hours of football programming...well, it wouldn't last one hour.

I was a HUGE Raiders fan as a little kid and Fred B. (Erie, PA boy) was my favorite player. I had a large poster of him on my wall. My parents were pissed when we tried taking it off the wall and the the sheet rock it was stuck to came down with it. ?

It's the ladder

On 4/7/2020 at 8:48 AM, Frez said:

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 

What a great movie dude! Bit of a tear jerker but definitely restored my faith in humanity a little bit.

BTW: Just looked up the Tenn/ ARK game and after the crushing fumble by  Stoerner,  Travis Henry ran the ball 5 straight times for the go ahead TD.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1

It's funny you should mention this movie. I was not familiar with the movie or the Brandon Burlsworth story until a couple days ago. I was visiting my dad and we were looking for something to watch. Greater was at the top of my dad's Netflix menu. I agree with the others who thought the movie was just ok. I was surprised that I hadn't heard of him before. It seems like his death, a mere 11 days after the draft would have been big news at the time. I would have been 20 then and followed anything and everything NFL related when I was that age. His name also would have caught my attention because it's very similar to mine.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:05 AM, IslandBillsFan said:

Watched the preview and read some reviews.  Looks pretty good.  However, I am not sure it can topple Rudy as the greatest walk on story ever.

Rudy is a better movie and may be a better story. But this guy was a better walk on as far as ability goes. He earned a scholarship, started for 2 years, was an All American, and was drafted in the 3rd round by the Colts.

Edited by holla83