Teams have downgraded Tua for poor combine meetings

Probably a smokescreen put out by a team drafting high that wants to make others think they have taken them off their board at that spot so they won't try and trade up but will think they can sit and get him further down. Meanwhile that team takes him like they planned to all along.

This is the game within the game that goes on every year before the draft. I wouldn't but any of it.

4 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

What vested interest does the league have in giving a team like the Chargers Tua? Seems awfully presumptuous, especially without knowing what teams rank anyone where.

The NFL needs the Chargers move to LA to work and LA football in general. There is a lot of money to lose on that deal. Like I said it’s my own tin foil hat hypothesis. I explained it, but the fact that the NFL needs things to work in LA, the Chargers need a face of the franchise, LA has the largest population of pacific Islanders of any city in the US outside of Hawaii and there just so happens to be a star Quarterback of pacific island descent in the draft, and its a position of need for the Chargers. That’s why I think he winds up there. You are tapping into a big fanbase. 

Ofcourse it’s presumptuous. 95% of the content on here is. Kind of like any mock draft or speculation. That’s the purpose of the board. Nobody knows where teams rank anybody except for the teams themselves. So Matt Miller, Mel Kiper, Daniel Jeremiah, their entire career is based on presumption and speculation. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Doesn't make sense because the Dolphins would have done their own interview with him and wouldn't just be taking the Chargers' word for it.  Would make more sense for them to play up his injury history or something. 

I hear you, but the NFL has a mob mentality. If the Dolphins feel good about him, but 31 our teams are saying he’s no good, sometimes teams get scared and start to question their own board. Unanimous opinion is a huge thing in the NFL. If what you are saying is true, why would anybody ever send out any smokescreens? They do because it creates doubt, controversy, and sometimes leads teams to make different decisions. I think it happens more than we think it does. Lamery Tunsil dropped to 13 because a video surfaced of him in a gas mask smoking pot and everyone got scared to pick him. NFL teams are influenced by what other teams are saying because they get scared.   

If you can convince enough people that Cordy Glenn is a guard, you might just be able to get him in the second round. If you are the Chargers and you want Tua, you do this hoping the Dolphins are influenced and go in another direction. It’s going to come down tho how much a team trusts its borard. 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I live in the DC/MD metro area where there was a lot of reporting on the qb issue. Washington is going to take Chase Young, the highest rated player in the draft. The rumors that they were interested in Tua were a smokescreen to see what potential offers were on the market. The reality is that topic was mostly sports talk show fodder. Recently, the Skins traded with Carolina to get qb Kyle Allen. Their hope is that Haskins will be pushed more with some competition for the position and if need be provide an option if he can't measure up or isn't ready yet. So far in the offseason on his own initiative (outside of team facilities) he has put in the work.   

Not that I disagree with your conclusions, but I'm curious what you base it on.  Inside knowledge or an interpretation of what is generally known of the Redskins among the natives?

Just now, TigerJ said:

Not that I disagree with your conclusions, but I'm curious what you base it on.  Inside knowledge or an interpretation of what is generally known of the Redskins among the natives?

Most of the people who cover the Redskins for the media (TV, Newspapers and Radio) all say the same thing that based on their contacts within the Skins' building  they will be drafting Chase Young. It may have been true that they scanned the market to see what the return for the second round would be if they dealt the pick. They were not impressed with any offers that would come close to what they would consider a fair offer. There are no guarantees about anything but they taking the DE is very probable. It should be noted that Chase Young on most teams' boards is the highest rated player in the draft. As it stands the Skins used a first round draft pick on Haskins last year. They are currently sticking with him as their first qb option. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

I have been bothered by the fact that TT couldn't unseat Jalen Hurts from the Qb job during the year TT came in a rescued bama in the championship game.  Something didn't click....that was the year Daboll was the OC btw.....and I am guessing Daboll has some insight.  (but he is not on this board)

Alabama was undefeated.  Your not benching the Qb who lost the title game as a Freshman and got the team back there as a Sophomore.  The difficulty evaluating Tua and even Burrow is the talent they played with.  Neither have any special physical trait.  Neither overly big, neither considered to have big arms, and neither are overly athletic. 

11 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

I hope Miami takes him.

It makes perfect sense for Miami to take him as they have Fitzy to hold down the fort to make sure Tua is 100% ready for the season especially not just because of the injury, but the lack of practice time with this pandemic.  No healthy QB will really be ready for game 1 if the season stays on schedule.

One idea being floated around is if they get to do a medical on Cam to take him on a two year prove it deal, and still draft Herbert.  They discussed last week on NFLR maybe the jettison TT if Cam is really healthy.  Who knows?

14 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Good question.  I remember reading something about this a few years ago.  I think they discuss diagrammed plays and question players about the appropriate reads and adjustments to determine their knowledge of the game.  They also ask things to try to determine personality traits and patters of behavior.  They are also looking to determine the ability to learn quickly and to communicate effectively.  In general, they are trying to make sure the guy is not a box of rocks and/or a pain in the rear end.

Wonder if it was struggling making reads or attitude?

14 hours ago, Limeaid said:

When he interviewed with Buffalo he said he liked ranch dressing on wings.  Makes him perfect for New England.

Ranch all the way !!!

22 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Smokescreen

Quite possible, shows that things are getting back to normal :thumbsup: 

13 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The NFL needs the Chargers move to LA to work and LA football in general. There is a lot of money to lose on that deal. Like I said it’s my own tin foil hat hypothesis. I explained it, but the fact that the NFL needs things to work in LA, the Chargers need a face of the franchise, LA has the largest population of pacific Islanders of any city in the US outside of Hawaii and there just so happens to be a star Quarterback of pacific island descent in the draft, and its a position of need for the Chargers. That’s why I think he winds up there. You are tapping into a big fanbase. 

Ofcourse it’s presumptuous. 95% of the content on here is. Kind of like any mock draft or speculation. That’s the purpose of the board. Nobody knows where teams rank anybody except for the teams themselves. So Matt Miller, Mel Kiper, Daniel Jeremiah, their entire career is based on presumption and speculation. 

Yet, none of those people you mention are pushing a narrative that the league will make sure certain players land on certain teams. Especially pointing out that .18% is enough of a very small sliver population to unite a player there. They may suggest that it would be a cool element to things, but imagine saying this with any other race.

Moreover, the move was made and agreed upon long before Tua was even a possibility. This would also require another team(s) to be complicit in allowing the Chargers to get a premier prospect. 

Edited by BillsFan17

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes. He won't last past 6. If Miami doesn't take him the Chargers will. 

I’m not so sure.  I think people might need to prepare for the possibility that Tua slides down the board quite a bit.  Just too many question marks.  To me, he’s nowhere near the prospect that DeSean Watson was coming out of Clemson and yet Watson slipped to 12.  FWW, Chris Simms had Tua as his QB 4, and said his tape is underwhelming.  Combine that with his size, injury history and the fact that he played in an absolutely loaded offense at Alabama, I think he could slip to the back half of the first round.  If I were a GM, he would not be on my board and I’ll be surprised if he goes before Herbert.

17 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’m not so sure.  I think people might need to prepare for the possibility that Tua slides down the board quite a bit.  Just too many question marks.  To me, he’s nowhere near the prospect that DeSean Watson was coming out of Clemson and yet Watson slipped to 12.  FWW, Chris Simms had Tua as his QB 4, and said his tape is underwhelming.  Combine that with his size, injury history and the fact that he played in an absolutely loaded offense at Alabama, I think he could slip to the back half of the first round.  If I were a GM, he would not be on my board and I’ll be surprised if he goes before Herbert.

Lord. I couldn't disagree any more strongly. There is not a planet in this galaxy on which I would take Herbert over Tua. Love I could just about see if you fall in love with the tools. Herbert? I just don't think he is exceptional in any regard. 

As Watson slipping you don't need to tell me that. I'd have taken him #1 overall if I were Cleveland. That 2017 class for some reason was not loved by a lot of people. I said at the time I thought it was a good class and I wasn't even a big Mahomes fanboy. 

17 hours ago, 947 said:

"Bad Interview" means he had problems breaking down coverages on the white board. Some guys ace it, others struggle. Peterman was said to have done extremely well, and we know how that turned out, but it really can be a big deal. I'd love to have seen Tua sit down with Gruden on the show he used to have. 

I'd rather a guy ace the interview than not. Peterman is one example, sure, and it's at times why some of these limited ability backup types becomes coaches. e.g. Kellen Moore (spelling?) the OC of the Cowboys.

On the contrary, you have seen very physically gifted players, said to have lacked it between the ears and ended how struggling at the NFL level. e.g. Jamarcus Russell/Vince Young.

That being said, we really dont know the extent of what the realm of "bad" consists of from team to team.

This also could be a boat of load misinformation in order to hurt his stock and hope he slides a bit.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Lord. I couldn't disagree any more strongly. There is not a planet in this galaxy on which I would take Herbert over Tua. Love I could just about see if you fall in love with the tools. Herbert? I just don't think he is exceptional in any regard. 

As Watson slipping you don't need to tell me that. I'd have taken him #1 overall if I were Cleveland. That 2017 class for some reason was not loved by a lot of people. I said at the time I thought it was a good class and I wasn't even a big Mahomes fanboy. 

Bill, you’re wrong about Herbert.  He definitely has question marks, but he has exceptional, size, mobility and arm strength.  As someone who saw every one of his college starts, I recognize the concerns, but I would also like to point out that the offensive scheme he was forced to play in was straight garbage and a terrible match for his skill set.  Add in the fact that he’s smart, competitive and a good kid and I would absolutely take him ahead of Tua.  I would say Herbert is what Josh Allen would have looked like if he had started four years at a major program.

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Teams are allowed to do physicals? Maybe it was before the lockdown 

I mean they're probably still able to local physician approved physicals like with free agency maybe? better than nothing I guess.

Edited by Warcodered

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:
Teams are allowed to do physicals? Maybe it was before the lockdown 

The Tennessee Titans team doctor did it last week on behalf of all other NFL teams, the original report was overwhelmingly positive so who knows what is accurate.

• Like (+1) 1