RIP Tom Dempsey

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Quite possibly the coldest I have ever been at a game. 

I always remember the last game at War Memorial as the coldest I’ve been at a Bills game. I believe we played the Lions to a tie? Temperature wise it probably wasn’t even that cold but it was damp and dreary. Miserable for sure. 

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

RIP Tom. 

Many forget he played for the Bills. Outside of wide right, might have had the biggest miss in Bills history. 

79 Opener against the Dolphins. 

Sitting in the upper deck, totally drenched, when he missed that. By half a foot.

Ugh.

RIP,  Mr.Dempsey.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The first game I ever went to in what was then Rich Stadium was in '73 against the Eagles. The Bills held a one point lead and Philly was driving for an easy FG. I was so nervous that I couldn't watch the kick, but the crowd reaction told me the outcome. Dempsey was the kicker for the Eagles and he missed a chip shot, allowing the Bills to escape with a win (27-26). Back then 1973 was the last season before the goalposts were moved to the back of the endzone. The kick Dempsey missed was barely longer than a PAT.

RIP Tom, you overcame physical disabilities to excel in the NFL.

1 hour ago, GRHater69 said:

The first game I ever went to in what was then Rich Stadium was in '73 against the Eagles. The Bills held a one point lead and Philly was driving for an easy FG. I was so nervous that I couldn't watch the kick, but the crowd reaction told me the outcome. Dempsey was the kicker for the Eagles and he missed a chip shot, allowing the Bills to escape with a win (27-26). Back then 1973 was the last season before the goalposts were moved to the back of the endzone. The kick Dempsey missed was barely longer than a PAT.

It was the same endzone he missed the kick against Miami. (tunnel end)

4 hours ago, ColeB said:

It was my first game at the then Rich Stadium.

My coldest game was the Bills/Jets in ‘96.  Despite my traveling from California and my brother from Texas, we left after the 3rd Qtr. Concessions were out of hot chocolate in the 1st Qtr.

That was one cold sumbeeyatch!!  Wasn’t it like 9 degrees at kickoff and 6 degrees when it ended??  The parking lots were like sheets of ice. My brother did one of those legs slide out from under and he hit the ground hard. It was the season after the Browns had moved to Baltimore and there was a group of Browns fans there with a sign outside the stadium. We commiserated with them for a while before going in. 

I’ve been to games since the Rockpile in the late 60’s and that was the coldest one I’ve ever been, too. 

Me and my “known him since grade school” buddy made it to the bitterly cold

end. 

Edited by BuffaloBob

9 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

RIP, my condolences to his family.  Heard he was also battling Alzheimer’s and Dementia since 2012. Sucks to hear about news like this?

6 hours ago, CSBill said:

It is incredibly sad to see someone go through any life-debilitating disease, but dementia is among the worst. Well, I guess they are all aweful.

Stay safe Bills Mafia. Boy, do we all hope our President is right on his prediction yesterday. If we can gather again at Two Bills Drive in September, there will be so much to celebrate, way beyond football.

My father died similarly.  He had Alzheimer's for 8 years and then was taken suddenly by a lung problem...........I was glad that happened and he didn't have to go to the bitter end with Alzheimer's. 

RIP to a football icon.  He also had no toes or fingers on his right hand.  Huge perseverance to make it to the NFL like that. One tough guy.  Sad to hear he also had Alzheimers and dementia for the last 7 years.  Prayers for him and his family.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloBob said:

That was one cold sumbeeyatch!!  Wasn’t it like 9 degrees at kickoff and 6 degrees when it ended??  The parking lots were like sheets of ice. My brother did one of those legs slide out from under and he hit the ground hard. It was the season after the Browns had moved to Baltimore and there was a group of Browns fans there with a sign outside the stadium. We commiserated with them for a while before going in. 

I’ve been to games since the Rockpile in the late 60’s and that was the coldest one I’ve ever been, too. 

Me and my “known him since grade school” buddy made it to the bitterly cold

end. 

I don't remember a thing about this '96 Jets game..............By far, the coldest was the Jets and then Raiders back to back 12/26/93 and then the playoff game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, bbb said:

I don't remember a thing about this '96 Jets game..............By far, the coldest was the Jets and then Raiders back to back 12/26/93 and then the playoff game. 

You’re right. It was December 26, 1993 and we clinched a playoff birth.  It was just two weeks before the Raiders game, which I watched in my cozy living room in Hermosa Beach, CA.  ? 

“The first measured in at nine degrees, but the wind chill put the temperature well below zero. Neither offense was particularly adept at dealing with the weather, and in a low-scoring game like that, a big difference in special teams can play a huge difference. Steve Christie was solid as always in the cold, nailing three field goals while his Jets counterpart, Cary Blanchard, missed three that would have made the difference. The win clinched a playoff spot for the Bills for the sixth straight year.”

I must be conflating the discussion that happened with the Browns fans with that game. It was also really cold for that game, but was a different game for sure. Old age is setting in. ? 

Edited by BuffaloBob
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBob said:

You’re right. It was December 26, 1993 and we clinched a playoff birth.  It was just two weeks before the Raiders game, which I watched in my cozy living room in Hermosa Beach, CA.  ? 

“The first measured in at nine degrees, but the wind chill put the temperature well below zero. Neither offense was particularly adept at dealing with the weather, and in a low-scoring game like that, a big difference in special teams can play a huge difference. Steve Christie was solid as always in the cold, nailing three field goals while his Jets counterpart, Cary Blanchard, missed three that would have made the difference. The win clinched a playoff spot for the Bills for the sixth straight year.”

I must be conflating the discussion that happened with the Browns fans with that game. It was also really cold for that game, but was a different game for sure. Old age is setting in. ? 

I thought it was setting in for me that I couldn't remember the Jets 96 game as really cold.  

That '93 game was insane.  Well below zero wind chill is right!  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

I was thinking of this game also.  Lot of good NFL Films music here too: