Forget Barkley, Alex Smith would be a perfect fit for Buffalo.

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

It's hard to get enough back-up QB threads during a normal off-season.  Throw in a global pandemic/forced isolation and the sky really is the limit!

Hey! Don’t forget alcohol sales are up 55%!   

??:)

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Hey! Don’t forget alcohol sales are up 55%!   

??:)

And unlike getting TP and cold cuts, there is no problem getting alcohol.  Also, this no going in the store thing works like a charm!   I ordered from BevMo on Friday, drove over and the guy had my order ready and in a shopping cart for me when I arrived.  I never got more than ten feet from my car and was in and out in 3 minutes.  Please let's keep that system after this crap is over!   :beer:

Edited by KD in CA

42 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

Wow he seems the opposite to me. I think all the posters saying we need to upgrade our backup QB is making you feel like Allens fragile. 

Im describing a QB so raw coming from college. That it was thought by many scouts, gm's etc. He would need atleast 2 years on the bench learning before he would be nfl ready to play. That Allen was 10,000 QB reps behind Baker Mayfield. 

Well i for one am glad Beane and McDermott AREN'T going to bring in someone else to take Barkley's job this year.

So that should tell anyone else thinking otherwise they're wrong.

If he's the opposite be doesn't need a backup that Pampers him. He needs a backup that can push him, compete with him, and help him get better.

7 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

And unlike getting TP and cold cuts, there is no problem getting alcohol.  Also, this no going in the store thing works like a charm!   I ordered from BevMo on Friday, drove over and the guy had my order ready and in a shopping cart for me when I arrived.  I never got more than ten feet from my car and was in and out in 3 minutes.  Please let's keep that system after this crap is over!   :beer:

Taco Bell and Burger King deliver! Between that and the alcohol, this might be more dangerous than the virus! If I ate the minimum $12 order from Taco Bell, I’m not liking my chances! It would be fun.....for a while.....then.............................No bueno........................

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

If he's the opposite be doesn't need a backup that Pampers him. He needs a backup that can push him, compete with him, and help him get better.

You mean a backup that will undermine him,  talk bad about him to teammates, belittle his every mistake to coaches. Someone like Flacco who could lord over him how he's won the big one before. Flacco could show teammates his superbowl ring and tell them how he would have this team hoisting the Lombardi. 

Flacco could tell Josh that he'll never do what Flacco did in his Superbowl run (in private of course). Or like how Favre helped Aaron Rodgers get better by not helping him. Yeah NFL QBs always thrive off those situations.

Hmm ... yeah that reminds me how R. Johnson and Flutie flakes competed, pushed and helped each other get better. You would think they were best of friends to this day because of it.

So in summary just IN CASE Josh gets hurt lets risk all team continuity. So US fans can feel more secure in case of emergency that may not even happen. Forget the locker room chemistry. These guys get paid to be emotionless constructs like in Madden. But hey atleast US fans would sleep better knowing we have a better backup on the field (in case we even need them to play).

Too bad if only Beane and McDermott could read this thread. They would then see what they're overlooking. Since it is their jobs on the line. I cant billieve i had so much trust in their decisions.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

You mean a backup that will undermine him,  talk bad about him to teammates, belittle his every mistake to coaches. Someone like Flacco who could lord over him how he's won the big one before. Flacco could show teammates his superbowl ring and tell them how he would have this team hoisting the Lombardi. 

Flacco could tell Josh that he'll never do what Flacco did in his Superbowl run (in private of course). Or like how Favre helped Aaron Rodgers get better by not helping him. Yeah NFL QBs always thrive off those situations.

Hmm ... yeah that reminds me how R. Johnson and Flutie flakes competed, pushed and helped each other get better. You would think they were best of friends to this day because of it.

So in summary just IN CASE Josh gets hurt lets risk all team continuity. So US fans can feel more secure in case of emergency that may not even happen. Forget the locker room chemistry. These guys get paid to be emotionless constructs like in Madden. But hey atleast US fans would sleep better knowing we have a better backup on the field (in case we even need them to play).

Too bad if only Beane and McDermott could read this thread. They would then see what they're overlooking. Since it is their jobs on the line. I cant billieve i had so much trust in their decisions.

I don't even know what you are talking about. Have a good day.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Hmm ... yeah that reminds me how R. Johnson and Doug Flutie  competed, pushed, and helped each other get better. 

It actually divided the team in the locker room.

So no thanks on that upgrade. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I don't even know what you are talking about. Have a good day.

It not quantifiable with stats it deals with players emotions. 

Thats why Barkley will be the backup this season. 

2 hours ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

Hmm ... yeah that reminds me how R. Johnson and Doug Flutie  competed, pushed, and helped each other get better. 

It actually divided the team in the locker room.

So no thanks on that upgrade. 

It not quantifiable with stats it deals with players emotions. 

Thats why Barkley will be the backup this season. 

Forgot how much of an ####### Flutie was lol. I didn’t care at all about Rob Johnson but I believe him when he admitted what was going on behind the scenes in the locker room and how Flutie was a bully and would talk ***** about players behind their back. I think even Thurman, Andre and Bruce didn’t really care for him too much

• Like (+1) 1

There’s several aspects that I want to mention but I want it to be coherent though. Since this post I have been doing more reading on Smith’s situation, his rehabilitation and his contract. While I can’t say that he’ll be back and ready to play I also can’t find anyone saying that he can’t come back and play, there’s a difference of opinion on this based on who you are listening to. I did find where Alex Smith is trying his hardest to come back and play this year and can’t be counted out, he’s be the first professional athlete to ever come back from an injury like this so there can’t be a percentage put on it.

Furthermore Ron Rivera is totally in charge over there and we all know how deep the Carolina connection is with our administration so if a deal could be worked out I would say that Buffalo has the inside track on it. I also fully expect Cam Newton to be a Redskin. What I think what is holding this up is 2 issues. The first being a clean bill of health, the 2nd being a reasonable contract.

As far as undermining goes I don’t know where the idea of Smith beingthe undermining type comes from. It’s quite the contrary, he’s a great mentor for the young QB (see Patrick Mahomes). 

As far as the contract goes my understanding is that he’s guaranteed 16M for the 2020 season. Admittedly I see where cutting him is not a possibility but I also can’t confirm what a trade would do, if it’s possible or not so maybe somebody can give a better clarity on that aspect. I do believe that things can be incentivize in a trade. Things like where the Redskins could either pay some of that contract and/or offer some draft compensation for taking Smith off of their hands. There is a lot of potential moving parts here and other than saying that he is not physically able to play I don’t believe all the other aspects are definitive either way. So for anybody to dismiss this trade as a possibility then they better bring better facts than what has been discussed so far because opinions are not enough at this time.

WOW i think i might just take my multi millions & fade into the back ground & enjoy life ! Alls it would take is another wrong hit & he could be done but being a back up would cut down on the probability of that happening quite a bit .

He more than others know it can be a very brutal game & he is still very young in the grand scheme of things I'm sure he has put a lot of thought into coming back to play & his family has had input into that too so hopefully what ever he decides he will be good with his decision ..

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/5/2020 at 4:50 AM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Dare I say, Barkley is way better than all of those guys combined

You can say whatever you like, free country, but you are also free to embarrass yourself when you say silly things.

18 hours ago, Dopey said:

For his own sake, he should retire. He's made a ton of $ and has a beautiful family. When healthy, a QB is one hit away from a devastating injury. When you are lucky to still have that leg...

Channel your energy into something else.

Why would he retire? He'd have to surrender money. He's never, ever going to play again, but from a financial perspective it's far better to not retire and let the team either cut you, IR you, or reach an injury settlement with you. If you retire, the team doesn't have to do anything.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Why would he retire? He'd have to surrender money. He's never, ever going to play again, but from a financial perspective it's far better to not retire and let the team either cut you, IR you, or reach an injury settlement with you. If you retire, the team doesn't have to do anything.

You're right. I was of the assumption his agent would work out an injury settlement.  

• Like (+1) 1

I would take Bortles over Barkley and it’s not close.  The reason is simple, Bortles is basically Josh Allen, from last year.  Before you lose your mind and tell me I’m crazy, remember, he “led” a team farther into the playoffs, has had flashes of crazy success and potential and ultimately could come in and do ESSENTIALLY the same things Josh does.  He is a bust vs his draft position, no doubt.  That does not mean he couldn’t be a really good back up.  He held a starting role for a number of seasons.  He isn’t as accurate as you like, he doesn’t protect the ball as well as you would like, he doesn’t see the field as well as you would like and outside of Buffalo, everyone sees the same thing with Allen. 

the reason Bortles is a better option than Barkley, if Josh goes down, you bring in a player with similar skills to run the offense, not requiring a huge philosophical change like Barkley.  Barkley has a far weaker arm, is not mobile, is not going to threaten an RPO game, is not going to stretch the field.  Bortles can do all of those things.  No, you don’t want him as a franchise guy, but you are looking for a good backup.   He might go all Tannehill on you and surprise you if he wasn’t playing for Marrone too, so there’s that.  You know Barkley was a street FA in the middle of the year for a reason, he’s mediocre and flashed a couple of decent games in his entire career, never held a starting job and if he plays you expect to lose.  With Bortles, it’s like Allen in that, your scheme carries on and if he doesn’t get stupid, you have a good chance to win still.  Allen APPEARS to be on a better career trajectory, but we don’t know that yet.  He and Bortles were virtually clones at the end of 2 years, all I’m saying is, Bortles would make this team better than Barkley.

• Like (+1) 2