Forget Barkley, Alex Smith would be a perfect fit for Buffalo.

28 minutes ago, MJS said:

Here are a couple potential options:

Trevor Siemian

Mike Glennon

Blake Bortles

...Not the best options, but all of them have won games in this league. Bortles would be interesting. He has a lot of starting experience and he is fairly mobile. He has playoff experience.

except that he is an awful QB

35 minutes ago, MJS said:

Trevor Siemian

Mike Glennon

Blake Bortles

...Not the best options, but all of them have won games in this league. Bortles would be interesting. He has a lot of starting experience and he is fairly mobile. He has playoff experience.

Dare I say, Barkley is way better than all of those guys combined

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Redskins have no incentive to release him. his 2020 salary was originally guaranteed for injury and became guaranteed anyway on 3/17/19 since he was not released. he is only going to be released in 2021. so this topic is moot even if Smith is miraculously playing competitive football. 

i don’t know if OP is thinking of a trade .. but he will count as 16 mill against the cap and we don’t have that kinda cap space for a backup wb.

Yes. Exactly this.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

except that he is an awful QB

Which is why he is available.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Based on what?

27 minutes ago, MJS said:

Which is why he is available.

Based on what?

Have you ever seen either of those QBs you listed actually play? Glennon is beyond ***** and his stints in Tampa, Chicago, Arizona and Oakland prove that. 

Blake Bortles is a poor mans Trent Dilfer 

and idk even know where to begin with Siemian. Watch tape of him in Denver and ask yourself is that who you want as a back up.

none of these guys are competition for Barkley. Barkley  would most likely kick their all their asses in competition and I would put money on that

• Haha (+1) 2

Tipster, I don’t see a trade or paying $16 mil., but if it were next year, and he was willing to accept back up $ as a top tier backup like Bridgewater for $7 mil.  Those are a lot of if’s, and the only positive there is no trade issues, and another year to see can he practice r is he done.  He may have to accept backup $ if cleared and practices well this year, as no one is giving him a starting job, nor take that injury risk.

8 hours ago, The Fiend said:

I am not sure if Alex Smith would accept a backup role.

He has no reason to do so.  He suffered a gruesome, career ending injury.  He apparently has internal motivation to come back as a starter and prove he can do it. 

He is financially set for life.  He has no motivation to sit on a bench, with a questionmark "can he do it or not?" while he holds a clipboard.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Trevor Siemian

Mike Glennon

Blake Bortles

gross

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Exactly might as well stick with Barkley, at least he knows the offensive system

This....but...they need to find out what happened with Barkley in his last appearance. He didn’t look ANYTHING like what many, including myself, had seen from him in his previous games with the Bills. He clearly sucked. I’m guessing there have been some long conversations between him and the coaching staff about their utter lack of preparation.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Have you ever seen either of those QBs you listed actually play? Glennon is beyond ***** and his stints in Tampa, Chicago, Arizona and Oakland prove that. 

Blake Bortles is a poor mans Trent Dilfer 

and idk even know where to begin with Siemian. Watch tape of him in Denver and ask yourself is that who you want as a back up.

none of these guys are competition for Barkley. Barkley  would most likely kick their all their asses in competition and I would put money on that

Yikes 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Tipster, I don’t see a trade or paying $16 mil., but if it were next year, and he was willing to accept back up $ as a top tier backup like Bridgewater for $7 mil.  Those are a lot of if’s, and the only positive there is no trade issues, and another year to see can he practice r is he done.  He may have to accept backup $ if cleared and practices well this year, as no one is giving him a starting job, nor take that injury risk.

Working out a trade is over my head but we have seen some fantastic transactions worked out throughout the years so to me anything is possible. In this particular scenario there are 3 parties that have to come to an agreement and that is the Bills, Redskins and Smith. I can’t speak on or for any one of them but if there is a will then to me there is a way.

5 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Way better?  Based on what?  He has 7 starts in 5 years.  In his one prolonged stretch as starter he went 1-5, tossed 8n TDs vs 14 INTs.  His career numbers are 10 TDs, 21 INTs.

Anyway...... I can't see any team physician clearing Smith for play ever.  He had every known complication of an open til-fib fracture, except amputation---which he was certain was going to happen at some point.

Plus he's still under contract.

Plus this would be his 16th year in the league.

Awesome thread. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I said in somebody’s post that there is somebody out there that nobody is talking about and then it just hit me about Alex Smith. It’s a perfect scenario for both parties, Buffalo and Smith. Don’t forget about the Andy Reid connection. McDermott likes to move in the same mode as old Andy. There’s only  2 things to know more about with Smith. 

a.) Where is Smith at in his rehabilitation.

b.) Does Smith still want to play.

If memory serves me correctly both counts are moving in a positive way, he’s doing good in his rehabilitation and that he still wants to play.

Word is coming out that he will never play again. He is working hard in his rehab but the injury was so devastating that he will not regain enough to play pro ball.