Diggs vs the WR field in the draft

So we obviously do not know this and wont know for years probably.....but just a thought.

What WR's in this draft do we absolutely think were going to be better then Diggs.....make sure you taking into account

- Diggs's production over the course of seasons

- Diggs plays in a run dom offense

My own field is there night not be a WR in this draft that ends up being better then Diggs.....but thats just my opinion and wanted your thoughts

Just now, John from Riverside said:

So we obviously do not know this and wont know for years probably.....but just a thought.

What WR's in this draft do we absolutely think were going to be better then Diggs.....make sure you taking into account

My own field is there night not be a WR in this draft that ends up being better then Diggs.....but thats just my opinion and wanted your thoughts

John I knew where this was headed and what your opinion would be just from the title and your love of all things Bills.

I liked Diggs before he entered the NFL, i still like him. He is a good player, he wasn’t even thought of the first few days of the draft. With so many highly touted guys coming out it’s almost a certainty that one will be as good or better. What’s that matter though?

Would he have been there at 22? Would the Bills have picked him? The real question, when will he reach Digg’s level? Not anytime soon would be my guess.

The Bills need an impact guy now so they can improve the O and equally as important so they can evaluate Allen. 

The trade made sense and the only way it won’t work out is if Diggs acts up and stresses an otherwise amazing locker room. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

At the place we are picking I would seriously doubt any WR would compare to Diggs.  Even if they developed into a comparable receiver it often takes more than one season.  Diggs could very well plug right into the system and run everything (and more) that Brown was running last year and have Brown playing across from him in case they play coverage to Diggs side.  Brown might get even better looks this year.  What might pan out well is if we pick a WR after round 1 to develop as Brown and Diggs play out there contracts.

• Like (+1) 1

I think lots of them could end up better than Diggs in a few years, but for the 2020 season, Diggs is what Josh Allen and the Bills needed. This is our year, and Josh Allen and the Bills needed a sure thing at WR, and Diggs gives that to them. I think that they’ll add a WR in the draft as well, to build on the WR group though. 

• Like (+1) 3

Honestly, I think the best WR from this class will be had after the first round. Jeudy and Lamb are good but not sure they'll be great. Whoever it winds up being, we have now taken away the risk associated with the pick to get a guy in his prime that has been compared (on the field) to Antonio Brown.

By eliminating that risk, the Bills - and I agree- take Diggs over any other WR available in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Lamb is the only one in this draft that screams star WR1. Jeudy is Calvin Ridley, a good WR but won't be a star. I hope he's the Jets' choice...

I actually think Denzel Mims will be a star, and he's the only WR we'd have had a shot at. But he'll take 1-2 years to develop. I prefer Diggs.

Edited by 947
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There might not be, sure. But there are 3 who in my view have the potential to be. The point is they were likely not obtainable for the same cost as Diggs. 

The overarching point is if you traded up for say, Lamb. (IMO the best all around WR in this draft), the best you could reasonable hope for is that he turns out to be as good of a player as Diggs. But there’s no guarantee he would have been. And you’d have to trade more capital to secure it. Diggs is the bird in the hand. Out of the top 3 guys, maybe one of them will turn out to be better than Diggs. But there’s also a significant chance none of them will be better than him at all. 

Bird in the hand. Known commodity. Easy decision.

7 minutes ago, DJB said:

Jeudy, Lamb and possibly Ruggs are the only possibilites for me. 

No guarantee though

Just Jeudy & Lamb. They'd both be long gone by 22. There would be no one left in this draft that would have the immediate impact Stefon would have. He will be our #1 wr for the next 4 years. And besides it's still not out of the realm for Claypool to drop in our laps. This was a brilliant trade by Beane. Now let's find Devin a running mate.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I think lots of them could end up better than Diggs in a few years, but for the 2020 season, Diggs is what Josh Allen and the Bills needed. This is our year, and Josh Allen and the Bills needed a sure thing at WR, and Diggs gives that to them. I think that they’ll add a WR in the draft as well, to build on the WR group though. 

Lots of them?  That would be a lock for the greatest WR class of all time by a wide margin for lots of them to all be better than a top 10 WR.  Surely you mean that in a strictly hypothetical "anything is technically possible" sort of way.

I can see a number of them from this deep class developing into decent starters with a couple top 10s, but not a hostile takeover of the top tier WR hierarchy from a single class.

30 minutes ago, PIZ said:

You got to the right conclusion but define the "lots".  I am thinking 3 tops and history shows 1 of those 3 will likely bust. 

It would seem like the top-3 would, and probably 1 or 2 others, but there are no guarantees.  Diggs is proven and the Bills haven't shown they can draft for offense so trading for him made sense.