POTUS to Goodell: believes NFL season should start on time

7 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Trump also raised idea of the leagues working together to lobby for tax credits that once existed to deduct the purchase of tickets and concessions?????

I know this is the dumbest place in the world to go against this, and I risk life and limb, BUT seriously?? Lobby for tax breaks for going to a football game? Subsidizing a $20 billion industry built around a ball game? I think if they only made $19 billion next year that's a hit they should be able to absorb on their own no problem.

Probably all aimed at this: 

All 137 luxury suites at Lucas Oil Stadium were sold out months before the opening kick-off for Super Bowl XLVI, according to stadium officials in Indianapolis.

Lucas Oil Stadium Luxury Suite
Source: MediaWright Photography

With a minimum reported price of $80,000 per box, that kind of money has turned luxury suite revenue into one of the most dominant forces in sports, analysts say.

"Luxury suites have been growing in importance since the 1990s and are an essential part of any new stadium being built," says Emily Sparvero, assistant professor at the Sports Industry Research Center at Temple University.

"In fact, most new stadiums are built not because they are physically obsolete, but they are financially obsolete," adds Sparvero.

In the past 20 years, 75 percent of American sports teams have either built or remodeled their venues, with luxury suite additions being a major reason for the construction and renovation.

Ticket sales, once the main source of any professional team's financial success, are now just part of the revenue mix, along with television contracts and heavily marketed merchandising.

Whether it's the NBA, NHL or Major League Baseball, suites now account for anywhere between five percent and 20 percent of total team revenue, according to the latest statistics. What started out as a status symbol has evolved into a necessity.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/45960973

16 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Probably all aimed at this: 

All 137 luxury suites at Lucas Oil Stadium were sold out months before the opening kick-off for Super Bowl XLVI, according to stadium officials in Indianapolis.

Source: MediaWright Photography

With a minimum reported price of $80,000 per box, that kind of money has turned luxury suite revenue into one of the most dominant forces in sports, analysts say.

"Luxury suites have been growing in importance since the 1990s and are an essential part of any new stadium being built," says Emily Sparvero, assistant professor at the Sports Industry Research Center at Temple University.

"In fact, most new stadiums are built not because they are physically obsolete, but they are financially obsolete," adds Sparvero.

In the past 20 years, 75 percent of American sports teams have either built or remodeled their venues, with luxury suite additions being a major reason for the construction and renovation.

Ticket sales, once the main source of any professional team's financial success, are now just part of the revenue mix, along with television contracts and heavily marketed merchandising.

Whether it's the NBA, NHL or Major League Baseball, suites now account for anywhere between five percent and 20 percent of total team revenue, according to the latest statistics. What started out as a status symbol has evolved into a necessity.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/45960973

I'm sure the stadiums already got their huge tax breaks.  The point is I don't think Trump understands how taxes work even a little bit.  Suppose everyone writes of $500 next year on football game expenses.  Well, that's $500 of revenue the government won't see, but the NFL will just throw in their already overflowing coffers.  The ignorant people will be happy they got to write off the expense, BUTTTT eventually the government will have to account for that.  How will that happen, well by raising taxes.  Guess who will pay those higher taxes? I know he's been writing off taxes his whole life, but someday someone has to pay the piper.  If only life were really just tax cuts, lawsuits, and tying everything up in court for all eternity.  Wouldn't life be grand.   I have a much better idea.  Use market economy.  If you can't fill the stadium maybe lower the beer prices from $20 to $10 until it does fill up.  I'm voting for Joe the Plumber next election, because he'd probably think my idea makes the best sense.

Edited by daz28

3 minutes ago, daz28 said:

I'm sure the stadiums already got their huge tax breaks.  The point is I don't think Trump understands how taxes work even a little bit.  Suppose everyone writes of $500 next year on football game expenses.  Well, that's $500 of revenue the government won't see, but the NFL will just throw in their already overflowing coffers.  The ignorant people will be happy they got to write off the expense, BUTTTT eventually the government will have to account for that.  How will that happen, well by raising taxes.  Guess who will pay those higher taxes? I know he's been writing off taxes his whole life, but someday someone has to pay the piper.  If only life were really just tax cuts, law suits, and tying everything up in court for all eternity.  Wouldn't life be grand.   

Totally get your point. And I agree.  All I'm saying is Trump could care less about the guy spending $500, it's all about the corporate tax break for him. 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Totally get your point. And I agree.  All I'm saying is Trump could care less about the guy spending $500, it's all about the corporate tax break for him. 

I think the reasoning there is the people working the concession stands will eventually get a $.10 trickle down raise.  WOOOPEEEEE  Guess what, we still have to pay back the taxes.

41 minutes ago, shoshin said:

That thread is now a gardening thread. 

Don't worry, it'll be knee high by the Fourth of July.

58 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Trump also raised idea of the leagues working together to lobby for tax credits that once existed to deduct the purchase of tickets and concessions?????

I know this is the dumbest place in the world to go against this, and I risk life and limb, BUT seriously?? Lobby for tax breaks for going to a football game? Subsidizing a $20 billion industry built around a ball game? I think if they only made $19 billion next year that's a hit they should be able to absorb on their own no problem.

My guess is that it doesn't work like you explained. I'll worry or agree with it when it is actually being proposed. 

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

That thread is now a gardening thread. 

We discuss gardening in hopes of throwing off everything being posted by Tibs and Q-tip. It gets tiresome watching people see what is happening in the world and deciding their plan is to spend all their time whining, complaining, pointing and blaming.

It's so damn tiresome. Watch how excited them get when the death count reaches 10,000. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yeah, when Trump will begin having rallies again is fascinating to think about.  

It gives him something to think about while he waits for more dead bodies to point out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

We discuss gardening in hopes of throwing off everything being posted by Tibs and Q-tip. It gets tiresome watching people see what is happening in the world and deciding their plan is to spend all their time whining, complaining, pointing and blaming.

It's so damn tiresome. Watch how excited them get when the death count reaches 10,000. 

It gives him something to think about while he waits for more dead bodies to point out.

Definitely. You can tell by him and his buddies posts they are getting more energized and manic as this drags on.

Truly sickening.