This is the best WR class of our generation

Tesla03

2 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

It would be incredible to have a Cole Beasley quality receiver to be the fourth best receiver on the team.  

I'm so hoping that Josh and Cole get a good rhythm going in their 2nd season together.

21 hours ago, Tesla03 said:

We have to take advantage. I think WR at pick 2 is almost a must if a top prospect is there. And there is a very very good chance a 1st round rated guy will drop to us. 

John Brown is 30, Cole Beasley is turning 31. We need a young WR here that can be our future and can learn under the vets while they are still here. Not to mention this offense really still needs more skill players. adding Diggs is huge but won't be enough to get us where we need to be on offense next season. 

people talking about drafting a DB or LB, what is gonna happen if our offense fails to score over 2 TD's per game again next season. Our defense was top 3 last season, as long as we are in the top 10 we will be fine. We arguably have the best secondary in the NFL, drafting a rookie CB won't improve us all that much on defense. 

I think they will draft a WR but it might not be until round 3 or 4.  

To be honest, I have seen different evaluations of the WR in this draft.  The consensus seems to be that Juedy, Lamb, and Rugg have they potential to be great WR’s.  

The rest have had mixed reviews from draft analysts.  Many gave them the “good...not great” label, and based on the trade for Diggs, it seems the Bills did as well.  

21 hours ago, Tesla03 said:

We have to take advantage. I think WR at pick 2 is almost a must if a top prospect is there. And there is a very very good chance a 1st round rated guy will drop to us. 

John Brown is 30, Cole Beasley is turning 31. We need a young WR here that can be our future and can learn under the vets while they are still here. Not to mention this offense really still needs more skill players. adding Diggs is huge but won't be enough to get us where we need to be on offense next season. 

people talking about drafting a DB or LB, what is gonna happen if our offense fails to score over 2 TD's per game again next season. Our defense was top 3 last season, as long as we are in the top 10 we will be fine. We arguably have the best secondary in the NFL, drafting a rookie CB won't improve us all that much on defense. 

Your post is confusing.  You paint this urgency of needing a WR for the future, but then talk about how our offense will struggle next year too without one.  

Sorry, but our starting 3 WRs right now is a top 5 group in the NFL.  This urgency isn't as dire as your post suggests.  Would I take a top end WR prospect in the 2nd?  Yes, if he was by far the BPA I wouldn't hesitate.  But in no way do I feel there is a need of desperation to get one there.  I am totally fine going with BPA at DB, LB, DE, RB, WR, TE, or OL.  There will be good WR's drafted this year in rounds 3 through 5 without a doubt, so I just don't see this need to make sure we do it in the 2nd.

I do think WR is possible there given there will be some good WRs on the board for sure in the 2nd, but I also have a hard time seeing Beane use his first and 2nd round picks this year on the WR group.  Beane has repeatedly said how DEEP this class is and potential starters are going be there in rounds 3-5 at WR.  I think its possible but unlikely he takes a WR in the 2nd personally.  Beane has even said that if a guy at a certain position is BPA, but is deep...they weigh that against another position that has a steeper fall off.  

On offense, I can see us going RB if the right one is there, otherwise I think its more likely on defense with someone like Winfield, Dugger, Chinn, Diggs, or Anae.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Your post is confusing.  You paint this urgency of needing a WR for the future, but then talk about how our offense will struggle next year too without one.  

Sorry, but our starting 3 WRs right now is a top 5 group in the NFL.  This urgency isn't as dire as your post suggests.  Would I take a top end WR prospect in the 2nd?  Yes, if he was by far the BPA I wouldn't hesitate.  But in no way do I feel there is a need of desperation to get one there.  I am totally fine going with BPA at DB, LB, DE, RB, WR, TE, or OL.  There will be good WR's drafted this year in rounds 3 through 5 without a doubt, so I just don't see this need to make sure we do it in the 2nd.

I do think WR is possible there given there will be some good WRs on the board for sure in the 2nd, but I also have a hard time seeing Beane use his first and 2nd round picks this year on the WR group.  Beane has repeatedly said how DEEP this class is and potential starters are going be there in rounds 3-5 at WR.  I think its possible but unlikely he takes a WR in the 2nd personally.  Beane has even said that if a guy at a certain position is BPA, but is deep...they weigh that against another position that has a steeper fall off.  

On offense, I can see us going RB if the right one is there, otherwise I think its more likely on defense with someone like Winfield, Dugger, Chinn, Diggs, or Anae.

Agree that it is unlikely a receiver in the 2nd. I think they will still try and take one somewhere but more likely day 3. 

• Like (+1) 2

Could be, we will know if this is the case in three to six years, their  staying power will be a big determining factor if this is to be true. Right now it’s only a guess. 

Its way too early to call this class anything more than a good looking group of prospects.  That said, because of the depth, there should be some real talent pushed into the later rounds.  Ideally you find a guy in round 3 or 4 that needs some polish, has a current injury or something that pushed them down and bring them in.  You might just get another Diggs type.  Diggs is nothing elite in terms of talent, but he works hard and produces, hopefully that will rub off.

On 4/4/2020 at 4:53 PM, MJS said:

I guess we'll know 4 or 5 years from now. No way to make that claim right now.

People do it all the time and it’s generally wrong.  My favorite example is the 2018 qb class is so far superior to the 2017 class that would be dumb to take a qb then.  Great call by draft “experts.”

that said, they would be absolutely insane to not add another receiver.  This is a small group and badly needs size.  If the add a Claypool or Pittman, I will be extremely happy with this off-season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A rookie WR will have little impact this year and possibly next year. For all the posters saying prior to Free Agency 'now is the time to go big' 'Beane had better go make a trade for a stud WR, now is the time to make bold moves' ...a WR in rounds 2-3 is the exact opposite of this. It is neither bold nor a 'now' move which begs the question, why give up a 1st and change for Diggs?(For the record I like the Diggs trade)

2 and 3rd rounders should see a good amount of playing time, not 15% of the time.

Edited by MrSarcasm

3 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

A rookie WR will have little impact this year and possibly next year. For all the posters saying prior to Free Agency 'now is the time to go big' 'Beane had better go make a trade for a stud WR, now is the time to make bold moves' ...a WR in rounds 2-3 is the exact opposite of this. It is neither bold nor a 'now' move which begs the question, why give up a 1st and change for Diggs?(For the record I like the Diggs trade)

2 and 3rd rounders should see a good amount of playing time, not 15% of the time.

Why make the trade for Diggs?  How about because he's a proven top-10 WR?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why make the trade for Diggs?  How about because he's a proven top-10 WR?

But you gave up a 1st rounder which could have netted you a WR in the 'best WR class of our generaton' Again I'm shocked no one sees the contradiction of surrendering a 1st this year to make a 'bold move to get a stud WR' and then drafting a bench WR in the 2nd for the future.

Edited by MrSarcasm
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrSarcasm said:

But you gave up a 1st rounder which could have netted you a WR in the 'best WR class of our generaton' Again I'm shocked no one sees the contradiction of surrendering a 1st this year to make a 'bold move to get a stud WR' and then drafting a bench WR in the 2nd for the future.

The "best WR class..." is just words until proven otherwise.  I'd rather take the sure thing.  At best the Bills are looking at selecting the 4th, maybe 5th, best WR at 22.  And given their track record, I wouldn't trust them to draft a WR to save their lives.

But I agree they shouldn't take a WR in the 2nd and wait until later in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

Best is overstated.  I think the depth of the class is the best of recent memory.  I think it was Daniel Jeremiah said there are 20 wrs with a rd 3 grade or better.  I know hes not gospel but an Idea of what some are saying.

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

The "best WR class..." is just words until proven otherwise.  I'd rather take the sure thing.  At best the Bills are looking at selecting the 4th, maybe 5th, best WR at 22.  And given their track record, I wouldn't trust them to draft a WR to save their lives.

But I agree they shouldn't take a WR in the 2nd and wait until later in the draft.

BUT, never say never! What if Ceedee Lamb is sitting there (which he won’t be)? You have to see how things fall. If the best player available is a WR, I’m not for PASSING because he’s a WR. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

BUT, never say never! What if Ceedee Lamb is sitting there (which he won’t be)? You have to see how things fall. If the best player available is a WR, I’m not for PASSING because he’s a WR. 

The Bills' list of players might be different from most other teams.  No one knows but them.  So while a WR might seem to be BPA for others, it might not for them.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/4/2020 at 11:51 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

2014 was the WR draft of our generation.  We'll know in 2025 whether 2020 was any good.

This^

From what I gathered that class has (25) 1000 yard seasons and (7) seasons over 900 yards as a collective group. Pretty impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

People do it all the time and it’s generally wrong.  My favorite example is the 2018 qb class is so far superior to the 2017 class that would be dumb to take a qb then.  Great call by draft “experts.”

that said, they would be absolutely insane to not add another receiver.  This is a small group and badly needs size.  If the add a Claypool or Pittman, I will be extremely happy with this off-season.

1999 was also a GENERATIONAL QB class;

Tim Couch.........

Donovan McNabb; Very good career.

Daunte Culpepper; couple good seasons

Akili Smith......

Cade McNown...........................................

I'd have no problem if they added a receiver later in the draft, but I'd prefer they use their early picks on edge and even OL. They've got to start developing some young talent (preferably maulers) because the line is lacking in that department.

The draft is to build your overall roster and not cater to any one position. We've already used our first round pick on a WR. Let's not become Matt Millen's Lions.