Scott Norwoods other big miss

Norwood did not lose the SB.  He’s a convenient fall guy.

The Bills as a team partied that week away.  That was an easy win against an inferior team with a backup QB.

Blowing the Raiders out was probably the worst thing that could have happened.  Too much overconfidence.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, shane nelson said:

Riddle me this Bills fans: 

SB XXV Frank Reich turn the laces to the right, basically a 90 degree angle.  We all know, point the laces straight.  We are told this from the 3rd grade on.  Any one know why they would be to the right like that.  Need to assume that is the way Scott wanted it......but I never understood why. 

50 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

This is the correct response imo. Reich f****d up the hold. And in grass was a hard attempt to correct.

48 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I'll be honest....I wanted the Bills to attempt one more sideline pass before Norwood trotted out there. They had 8 seconds. Nothing there, throw it away. 8 seconds was plenty of time to bring that kick 5-10 yards closer. Marv screwed the pooch on that.

27 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

This is the reason it went right. It started out down the middle. 

Thanks OP for some fresh hand sani in the eyes..........................

LACES OUT FRANKKKK!!!

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, shane nelson said:

SB XXV Frank Reich turn the laces to the right, basically a 90 degree angle.  We all know, point the laces straight.  We are told this from the 3rd grade on.  Any one know why they would be to the right like that.  Need to assume that is the way Scott wanted it......but I never understood why. 

I was born in 88, so I was too young for the glory years, I would be interested in hearing more about this.

Here is the game video:

When I watched the game as a kid, I gained serious respect for Andre Reed when he made it 7-0 with a 73-yard TD run [see at 19:19 above]. I realized he was the best receiver in the AFC.

Cleveland's kicker Matt Bahr also slipped and missed a FG at 18:00 in the video above.

Edited by chongli

41 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Illuminati

There is a recording of Frank taking the snap and turns the ball to the right.  I may have a recording of a picture of it.  I only noticed it a few years ago.  Will do searching to see if I can find it and post

Augie, I’m with you bud, forget yesterday and let’s look at today and tomorrow and my first game I remember was the 2003 Oj game when I was 3 1/2.  Not because of anything else than listening to my brother, father and two uncles go nuts.  I had to ask Dad, what happened.  He told me years later, history son, history.  Obviously before he turned into an utter blank.

1 hour ago, Success said:

Norwood did not lose the SB.  He’s a convenient fall guy.

The Bills as a team partied that week away.  That was an easy win against an inferior team with a backup QB.

Blowing the Raiders out was probably the worst thing that could have happened.  Too much overconfidence.

The partying is overblown.

The Bills, for the most part, executed well that day on offense. Play calling was an issue, not partying.

The Giants held the ball for a long time against a smallish Bills defense and pretty much played a perfect game.....and won by the skin of their teeth.

Don’t forget the Giants dumped the 2 time defending SB Champs the week before in Candlestick. They were a hell of a team.

To blame that loss on partying has become folklore in these parts but when you look at the game, nope. No evidence to be found that partying was a reason for the loss.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shane nelson said:

I remember seeing a documentary on NFLN about past Super Bowls, where XXV was discussed.  What came up was that Scott Norwood was missing practice field goals to the left before the game.  He was compensating by favoring to the right during the game.  That last kick he either over compensated or hit the ball like he normally did during the season.  Bad luck that game.

2 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I'll be honest....I wanted the Bills to attempt one more sideline pass before Norwood trotted out there. They had 8 seconds. Nothing there, throw it away. 8 seconds was plenty of time to bring that kick 5-10 yards closer. Marv screwed the pooch on that.

IIRC, Kelly threw an ill advised dump off pass a play or two earlier that gained nothing and cost them a ton of time.  He should have been throwing downfield.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Don’t forget the Giants dumped the 2 time defending SB Champs the week before in Candlestick. They were a hell of a team.

The Bills beat the Giants in the Meadowlands several weeks prior to SB XXV.  Game was around the second week of December.  The Giants were a great team, but the Bills were better, just not that day in Tampa.

Regarding the partying, I don't think it is overblown at all.  There were reports from the opposing teams (Dallas, at least) where it was no secret the Bills were out late during the week leading up to the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!! said:

Oh no I watched that game live and was devastated when Harmon dropped the pass. I also forgot about the kick uggg. Would have won the superbowl and who knows maybe a few of the others. 

No. Denver was the best AFC team that year, even if it took a dramatic 4th quarter TD to beat Cleveland. Then they got blown out by San Fran in the SB.

20 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The Bills beat the Giants in the Meadowlands several weeks prior to SB XXV.  Game was around the second week of December.  The Giants were a great team, but the Bills were better, just not that day in Tampa.

Regarding the partying, I don't think it is overblown at all.  There were reports from the opposing teams (Dallas, at least) where it was no secret the Bills were out late during the week leading up to the game.  

I know the Bills beat Giants in Dec, Simms went down that game and Hostettler came in.....and the Giants never lost another game he started after that.

I can not point to a play in SB 25 that the Bills didn’t make because of partying.That Bills defense took a beating......yet only gave up 20 points.

If partying was an issue the Giants would have rolled the Bills that day. Thurman Thomas was one of the biggest partiers on the Bills and he was the best player on the field for both teams.

42 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The partying is overblown.

The Bills, for the most part, executed well that day on offense. Play calling was an issue, not partying.

The Giants held the ball for a long time against a smallish Bills defense and pretty much played a perfect game.....and won by the skin of their teeth.

To blame that loss on partying has become folklore in these parts but when you look at the game, nope. No evidence to be found that partying was a reason for the loss.

BB - the partying is not folklore as I had friends with them as we are at that age and knew them in their prime, but you are right it wasn’t the only issue.  The biggest mistake which already has been brought up in many threads, some by me was Thurmon ran I believe 14 times for 155 yards. Estimate as it has been a awhile.  They were only keeping three up and playing 8 back.  BB has been on record from his players they wouldn’t let the Bills high powered throwing offense beat them.

We could have still done the no huddle which was not brand new as Paul Brown and Wyche had been more of the pioneers before us, but we could have done the no huddle with a lot more running, and as Thurmon gashed their defense and held onto the ball longer, they would be forced to play more of the front 7 up.  Marchibroda, Marv, and Kelly were too stubborn and that is the real reason we lost.  We were out coached.  We had the talent to win, and yes our defense was too small.  I hated Wright as our nose when even though he was getting older, given a 3-4 we needed Smerlas or a replacement like him to clog the middle.  Between Meggett and Anderson, they killed us in the 3rd quarter.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

We could have still done the no huddle which was not brand new as Paul Brown and Wyche had been more of the pioneers before us, but we could have done the no huddle with a lot more running, and as Thurmon gashed their defense and held onto the ball longer, they would be forced to play more of the front 7 up.  Marchibroda, Marv, and Kelly were too stubborn and that is the real reason we lost.  We were out coached.  

Also, the clock management on that last drive was truly awful!!  Painful to watch.

7 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

We had the talent to win, and yes our defense was too small.  I hated Wright as our nose when even though he was getting older, given a 3-4 we needed Smerlas or a replacement like him to clog the middle.  Between Meggett and Anderson, they killed us in the 3rd quarter.

If we had Art Still and Fred Smerlas vs Wright and Leon Seals, we hold up against the run much better and win despite their ages.   

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I know the Bills beat Giants in Dec, Simms went down that game and Hostettler came in.....and the Giants never lost another game he started after that.

I can not point to a play in SB 25 that the Bills didn’t make because of partying.That Bills defense took a beating......yet only gave up 20 points.

If partying was an issue the Giants would have rolled the Bills that day. Thurman Thomas was one of the biggest partiers on the Bills and he was the best player on the field for both teams.

The one play I remember is on that 10 minute drive to start the 3rd quarter.  It was 3rd and very long, and 3 Bills missed 3 easy tackles that would have stopped that drive.

That seemed hungover to me, or at least lethargic.  They weren't playing championship football.

It may just be overblown legend - but that Bills team should have handled that Giants team fairly easily, and they didn't. Maybe the moment was just too big, or maybe Belichick's D really does deserve to be in the HOF.  But it still feels to this day like they didn't take an insanely important game as seriously as they should have.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

That was small beans compared to Charlie Romes dropping an interception on the Bengals drive that resulted in the game winning score. UGH...

or Derrick Burroughs' personal foul for throwing a fist turning a third and long into a first and goal.  

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

No. Denver was the best AFC team that year, even if it took a dramatic 4th quarter TD to beat Cleveland. Then they got blown out by San Fran in the SB.

Denver pretty much handled the Browns that year 37-21. You must mean 1986 when they played them, tying them with "the Drive" for a last minute TD that led them to win in OT.

Edited by The Fiend