Scott Norwoods other big miss

So as a kid I was always pissed that Ronnie Harmon didn’t catch what I thought was a easy catch the 2nd to last play before Jim Kelly threw the game ending interception.

Last night after all these years I rewatched the 1989 divisional playoff game in its entirety on Youtube and I had totally forgotten that on the previous td Scott Norwood slipped on his butt and missed the extra point to put the Bills behind by 4 points instead of 3 with like 3 minutes to go.So Norwood basically screwed up badly two years in a row??

24 minutes ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

So as a kid I was always pissed that Ronnie Harmon didn’t catch what I thought was a easy catch the 2nd to last play before Jim Kelly threw the game ending interception.

Last night after all these years I rewatched the 1989 divisional playoff game in its entirety on Youtube and I had totally forgotten that on the previous td Scott Norwood slipped on his butt and missed the extra point to put the Bills behind by 4 points instead of 3 with like 3 minutes to go.So Norwood basically screwed up badly two years in a row??

Good find... I didn’t starting the Bills seriously until the 1990 season.  

Ive always said this - Bill Polian replaced Scott Norwood 2 years too late.  He dropped off quite a bit after the 1988 and was completely unreliable on grass.  We’re not talking 40 or 50 yard PAT’s.  He was missed those gimme 19 yard PAT’s on grass turf like he did in Cleveland.

Norwood’s apologists will say he never should have been in that position because he wasn’t good on grass or from 40+.  I’m sorry but even in 1991, if your kicker can’t make that kick, you need a replacement.  Ironically it was Matt Bahr’s long FG in San Francisco that won the game for the Giants the week before “the kick.”

Norwood’s performance was far from impressive in 1990 or 1991.  He didn’t really have any clutch as kick, as Christie would in 1992.   You might be able to argue that a better kicker might win them atleast 1 Super Bowl.  

@JAMIEBUF12 Great nostalgia thread.

Edited by Phil The Thrill
  • Like (+1) 3

I prefer to look forward rather than backwards, especially at the negative stuff unless there is a lesson to be learned. Pretty much the same reason I try not to close the car door on my hand. 

I am excited about THIS year! PLEASE don’t take that away from us! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I prefer to look forward rather than backwards, especially at the negative stuff unless there is a lesson to be learned. Pretty much the same reason I try not to close the car door on my hand. 

I am excited about THIS year! PLEASE don’t take that away from us! 

People say that a lot here but I love the “looking back” threads especially from the great Super Bowl teams.  These threads are a lot of fun.  You can only read so many mock draft projections 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

People say that a lot here but I love the “looking back” threads especially from the great Super Bowl teams.  These threads are a lot of fun.  You can only read so many mock draft projections 

Oh! Don’t get me wrong! I’m not poking at anyone for what they like or don’t. You be you, by all means! But going back to look for bad things and sad “what if’s” is just not my style. I just think the windshield is bigger than the rear view mirror for a good reason. 

One play I would like to see again was Bruce getting an amazing playoff sack against the Bengals, and they threw a flag because to looked like he MUST have grabbed the face mask like a handle to do THAT, when in fact he was just a beast and it was all jersey!  That is a mix of “we got screwed” and “what a freaking incredible play!” 

Just now, MJS said:

That's the year I was born.

So you remember it then! 

Riddle me this Bills fans: 

SB XXV Frank Reich turn the laces to the right, basically a 90 degree angle.  We all know, point the laces straight.  We are told this from the 3rd grade on.  Any one know why they would be to the right like that.  Need to assume that is the way Scott wanted it......but I never understood why. 

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I can barely remember the 1999 season!

I can barely remember the last playoff game.......different reason I’m guessing. On the bright side, my neighbors still wave and say hello. I think they had heard all those words before.....

22 minutes ago, shane nelson said:

SB XXV Frank Reich turn the laces to the right, basically a 90 degree angle.  We all know, point the laces straight.  We are told this from the 3rd grade on.  Any one know why they would be to the right like that.  Need to assume that is the way Scott wanted it......but I never understood why. 

This is the correct response imo. Reich f****d up the hold. And in grass was a hard attempt to correct.

I'll be honest....I wanted the Bills to attempt one more sideline pass before Norwood trotted out there. They had 8 seconds. Nothing there, throw it away. 8 seconds was plenty of time to bring that kick 5-10 yards closer. Marv screwed the pooch on that.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, shane nelson said:

Illuminati

47 minutes ago, shane nelson said:

This is the reason it went right. It started out down the middle. 

Thanks OP for some fresh hand sani in the eyes..........................