Joe B - How I Would Draft For the Bills If I Were Brandon Beane

12 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

RB isn't that big of a need.

Really well-explained argument here. Bravo.

I can't say for sure you're wrong, because what do I really know about what will happen in the future, but you sure aren't giving us much insight into why you think what you think.

7 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Singletary is 22th in rushing and 44th in receiving.  There are 32 teams in the league.  There are about a dozen teams that have TWO running backs with more receiving yards than Singletary.    We need an upgrade.  Beane has said  that he wants players who can score touchdowns.  Singletary has two.  Facts do matter.

"All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height."     Casey Stangel

Who's Casey Stangel?? jk

Here's a couple more Stengel quotes

The secret of successful managing is to keep the five guys who hate you away from the four guys who haven't made up their minds.

Never make predictions, especially about the future.

11 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Singletary is 22th in rushing and 44th in receiving.  There are 32 teams in the league.  There are about a dozen teams that have TWO running backs with more receiving yards than Singletary.    We need an upgrade.  Beane has said  that he wants players who can score touchdowns.  Singletary has two.  Facts do matter.

"All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height."     Casey Stangel

Yeah, facts do matter. But they only prove what they say. Yeah, he was 23nd in rushing for RBs and 44th in receiving. What does that prove?

It proves that in last year's situation, with everything as it was, with that OL and with Frank Gore as his backup ... and as a rookie ... that he was 24th in rushing and 44th in receiving. That's all it proves. You can infer some things, but ...

... you want to ignore the fact that his yards per carry was 4th in the league among RBs with more than 100 carries. That says far more about you and your need to prove we need an upgrade at RB than it does about the facts or your ability to put them in reasonable context.

I think people are missing that you are actually no longer talking about improving on Yeldon, but instead trying to say that Singletary isn't good enough. Folks, he's said this several times in this thread. Here's one earlier time, and the one I'm replying to is the most recent. He thinks Singletary just isn't good enough :

19 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

If you look at where Singletary fit in the rankings of RB, he is around #20.  He is also notably fair to poor in pass receiving. A SB team should have a RB in the top 10, if they can.  That is what the draft is for and this year there are some studs available.

Implying that we need an upgrade at RB1 is absolutely laughable. Laughable. The FO ... and the fanbase minus pretty much you ... is perfectly happy with Devin Singletary as our RB1.

At RB2, Yeldon appears acceptable, but yeah, they could easily want to try to get either an upgrade or competition at RB2. Could we possibly pick up one of the FAs still available or draft someone later on ... maybe even to keep three at RB? Yeah, absolutely.

Oh, and by the way, what happened to your contention above that "a Super Bowl team should have a RB in the top 10, if they can." Haven't heard you mention that lately now that I pointed out how Andy Reid must be crying in his beer that sure they won the Lombardi but doing so when their best RB ranked 39th in the league means he just doesn't feel that last year was a success.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, dubs said:

Singletary was 30th in rushing attempts and 4th in yards per rush. Those are really the only two stats that matter in this discussion. 

Ah, people get it. I didn't have to bother answering, this says it all.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Implying that we need an upgrade at RB1 is absolutely laughable. Laughable. The FO ... and the fanbase minus pretty much you ... is perfectly happy with Devin Singletary as our RB1.

At RB2, Yeldon appears acceptable, but yeah, they could easily want to try to get either an upgrade or competition at RB2. Could we possibly pick up one of the FAs still available or draft someone later on ... maybe even to keep three at RB? Yeah, absolutely.

Oh, and by the way, what happened to your contention above that "a Super Bowl team should have a RB in the top 10, if they can." Haven't heard you mention that lately now that I pointed out how Andy Reid must be crying in his beer that sure they won the Lombardi but doing so when their best RB ranked 39th in the league means he just doesn't feel that last year was a success.

I think they need an upgrade. Not that Singletary isn't good. He is. But I think part of the reason he is 4th in ypa is because he is lower in attempts. I am still not convinced I see a real high volume "bell cow" type. He isn't that fast and he isn't a power back. He beats people with his exceptional feet. His sweet spot to me is 15-20 total touches a game. So 12-16 on the ground and 4-5 catches. As a result I think they need a co-number 1. Either someone who is really going to run over people or someone with that breakaway change of pace. Ideally both but unless Jonathan Taylor is there for them not sure I see the "both" option in this draft. I think they need a guy who can take 10-12 carries a game and be productive. That isn't TJ Yeldon for me. He is more a guy you run 3 or 4 times and throw to half a dozen times. He is fine as a number 2 back if your number 1 guy is a bell cow type. If you have Zeke or Derrick Henry etc. I think with Singletary as their 1A they need a 1B type and then Yeldon becomes your 3rd back.