Joe B - How I Would Draft For the Bills If I Were Brandon Beane

3 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Joe Buscaglia mocked the Bills draft by trying to run a draft as Brandon Beane’s thinking. Here’s who he came up with.  Also he did simulate a draft using The Draft Network’s simulator:

You can read all of the analysis and his rationale below:

https://theathletic.com/1722463/2020/04/03/how-i-would-draft-for-the-bills-if-im-brandon-beane/?source=shared-article

Round 2 - Kyle Duggar  S   Lenoir Ryne

Round 3 - Bryan Edwards WR  South Carolina 

Round 4 - John Simpson OL Clemson

Round 5 - Lamical Perine RB  Florida

Round 7 - Charlie Heck OT  North Carolina

I don’t know how much I love the picks.  He said that Duggar would allow the team to basically be a Nickel defense and could help offset the loss of Lorenzo Alexander.

Instead of drafting Perine, I would rather give up one of the lower picks and trade up to take Zack Moss.  

The team is already a nickel defense, they were in it over 75% of the time last year.

3 hours ago, dubs said:

agree terrible mock. But disagree that RB is a “need”. I would calL RB perhaps the least need on the team. 

1) it’s a devalued position

2) have a second year back that played very well last year, and used a 3rd on him last year. 
3) serviceable backs are always available in FA. 
4) worst case scenario, throw more

I'm a big believer that GMs shouldn't throw out 1st Round draft picks or big contacts at the Running Back position.  Totally agree there.

But let's not go to the extreme the opposite direction.

The sweet spot for drafting a Running Back is the 2nd-3rd Round.  

After that, the probability of success drops pretty quickly.  Just like every other position.  Most Day 3/UDFA picks aren't going to make it.  Even playing RB.

People consider RB a need, because you technically need two backs in today's NFL.  

Devin Singletary was very good as a rookie, but the drop-off was huge when Frank Gore or TJ Yeldon entered the game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScorpionZero said:

I'd rather have chinn over dugger, I'f we're going small school. Edge in 3rd and Dillon in 4th. Add wr's after that. 

Agreed.  Dugger is this year's measurables darling IMO.    No way he can step into the NFL and play a meaningful role, other than ST this year...

If we wanna make the offense, dynamic. We should draft a rb thumper and a multidimensional player like Antonio Gibson/ Joe Reed. and some length in the latter rounds. I think Beane did what he did in free agency so he could go offensive in the draft. Plus we're still in stage 2 of free agency. With stage 3 coming after the draft to 3rd preseason game. We're gonna do so good this offseason that we'll be trading and adding picks to next year's draft.

17 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I'm a big believer that GMs shouldn't throw out 1st Round draft picks or big contacts at the Running Back position.  Totally agree there.

But let's not go to the extreme the opposite direction.

The sweet spot for drafting a Running Back is the 2nd-3rd Round.  

After that, the probability of success drops pretty quickly.  Just like every other position.  Most Day 3/UDFA picks aren't going to make it.  Even playing RB.

People consider RB a need, because you technically need two backs in today's NFL.  

Devin Singletary was very good as a rookie, but the drop-off was huge when Frank Gore or TJ Yeldon entered the game.

I would not use a mid round pick on an RB this year. They did that last year and this year, esp with no first, there’s way too many needs. OL, Edge, WR, DB, And even QB would be higher priority for me than RB. There are probably 6 RBs that would be suitable backups to Motor that are FAs. 

dugger is going to take 3-4 years to develop into a top player (if he ever does)

we don't need players like that. we need immediate impact guys. draft a WR or RB in the 2nd, don't even think about defense right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dubs said:

agree terrible mock. But disagree that RB is a “need”. I would calL RB perhaps the least need on the team. 

1) it’s a devalued position

2) have a second year back that played very well last year, and used a 3rd on him last year. 
3) serviceable backs are always available in FA. 
4) worst case scenario, throw more

So if Singletary gets hurt (he missed 5 games last year) you're good with Yeldon?

RB is currently their biggest need right now.

They don't have a roster spot to fit a pass rusher with all the DL they added in FA.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Process said:

What a horrific mock. Two biggest needs are pash rusher and RB and we won't address either until Rd 5? 

Its important to read the article.  He lays out the rationale at each stage of the draft.  When you read that and what teams in front of us may do, its a lot clearer as to how he got there

4 hours ago, ScorpionZero said:

I'd rather have chinn over dugger, I'f we're going small school. Edge in 3rd and Dillon in 4th. Add wr's after that. 

I'd be curious if Chinn was there too when he did the mock.  Joe Marino called Chinn a better version of Dugger and 2 years younger.  

4 hours ago, Logic said:

All those stating they would hate Dugger at 54 may want to try to come around to the idea, because in my opinion, it’s a reasonable possibility.

For one thing, as Joe B says, it would allow the Bills to basically operate out of nickel at all times and not lose anything against the run.

If the quality offensive tackles are off the board, there isn’t an edge rusher that presents good value, and they feel good about their CB2 position, a safety might well be the BPA.

The WR crop is deep enough that they can wait until round 3, 4, or even 5. Running back, too, is a position that might be best addressed in rounds 3 or 4. So again, where does that leave pick number 54? BPA...and if that’s Dugger, then so be it. Lord knows I trust Beane asa talent evaluator, and I trust this regime in general when it comes to the defensive backfield.

I think it is absolutely on the table. Wouldn't love it but do think more than possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BobChalmers said:

So if Singletary gets hurt (he missed 5 games last year) you're good with Yeldon?

RB is currently their biggest need right now.

They don't have a roster spot to fit a pass rusher with all the DL they added in FA.

like I said, sign an FA. You used a 3rd on an RB last year, I would NOT use a 2 or 3 on one this year. It’s not complicated. 

Edited by dubs

53 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I'd be curious if Chinn was there too when he did the mock.  Joe Marino called Chinn a better version of Dugger and 2 years younger.  

Joe had him taken a couple of spots before, at pick #51 (Cowboys)...

47 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Taron Johnson and S Neal are both playing the niclel.  Neal is the more physical and played a bit in it this past year.  I am guessing a safety early isn't in the cards. Joe got that wrong...but, I always read him.

Did he?

May I borrow your crystal ball when you’re done with it?

8 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Joe Buscaglia mocked the Bills draft by trying to run a draft as Brandon Beane’s thinking. Here’s who he came up with.  Also he did simulate a draft using The Draft Network’s simulator:

You can read all of the analysis and his rationale below:

https://theathletic.com/1722463/2020/04/03/how-i-would-draft-for-the-bills-if-im-brandon-beane/?source=shared-article

Round 2 - Kyle Duggar  S   Lenoir Ryne

Round 3 - Bryan Edwards WR  South Carolina 

Round 4 - John Simpson OL Clemson

Round 5 - Lamical Perine RB  Florida

Round 7 - Charlie Heck OT  North Carolina

I don’t know how much I love the picks.  He said that Duggar would allow the team to basically be a Nickel defense and could help offset the loss of Lorenzo Alexander.

Instead of drafting Perine, I would rather give up one of the lower picks and trade up to take Zack Moss.  

id actually be really happy with that draft. I love Perine!

The RB debate is compelling. Nice to see a number of you here recognizing the NEED for another RB who isn't JustAGuy.

Singletary missed time last season, and as noted, hasn't yet displayed: a nose for the endzone (could've been due in part to Gore being the primary goal line guy) or a knack for receiving (definitely needs to develop there), pass-blocking, and straight-line power. I like the player. He's fun to watch, and effective. But he's not the only piece a versatile offense needs back there. And we know the Bills want to be versatile. 

Yeldon brings (sneaky effective) pass-catching. Full stop.

The roster has no power or speed at RB. 

Maybe they sign a FA who fills the void. But many of us think a 2nd or 3rd round pick could land a dynamic weapon who would help the offense more than any other pick in those rounds. 

• Thank you (+1) 1