Joe B - How I Would Draft For the Bills If I Were Brandon Beane

14 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

I read the article and JB notes that Dugger (or Chinn) if there would come in and play the Big Nickel role in Bills D immediately.  Both could probably back up Milano too.  In the box, they could be run stoppers, drop in coverage or blitz off the edge.  Marlowe and Neal have not been effective in that role so he sees it as a real need.  Bills lack such a player now.

I think Bills Offense needs a RB who can gain tough yards and play in 4 minute offense, goal line and short yardage packages.  Yeldon is not that guy and worried doing so will wear Singletary down by games end.  So sign one or draft one.  I like AJ Dillon but not before round 4.  Michael Warren from Cinci is another beast.

We haven't been a team that has had comfortable enough leads to run a 4 minute offense. Of course, I'm assuming that's what you mean. I know we picked up Diggs, but we need more than just that. If possible, I'd prefer a rb that offers more than tough yds. Give me a more explosive rb please. Which is why I wouldn't mind a rb in rd 2.

Edited by Dopey

I really like Bryan Edwards, but I think Duggar is too much of a projection for my tastes with limited draft choices a this year.  He is for sure a terrific athlete and he did dominate his low-level competition, but he won’t have the same size/speed advantage over opponents in the NFL that he did at his college.  He is also old for a rookie at 24 y.o. and would be trying to contribute early making a HUGE jump up in competition.

He might pan out to be great, but I think too risky in round 2.

All those stating they would hate Dugger at 54 may want to try to come around to the idea, because in my opinion, it’s a reasonable possibility.

For one thing, as Joe B says, it would allow the Bills to basically operate out of nickel at all times and not lose anything against the run.

If the quality offensive tackles are off the board, there isn’t an edge rusher that presents good value, and they feel good about their CB2 position, a safety might well be the BPA.

The WR crop is deep enough that they can wait until round 3, 4, or even 5. Running back, too, is a position that might be best addressed in rounds 3 or 4. So again, where does that leave pick number 54? BPA...and if that’s Dugger, then so be it. Lord knows I trust Beane asa talent evaluator, and I trust this regime in general when it comes to the defensive backfield.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

All those stating they would hate Dugger at 54 may want to try to come around to the idea, because in my opinion, it’s a reasonable possibility.

For one thing, as Joe B says, it would allow the Bills to basically operate out of nickel at all times and not lose anything against the run.

If the quality offensive tackles are off the board, there isn’t an edge rusher that presents good value, and they feel good about their CB2 position, a safety might well be the BPA.

The WR crop is deep enough that they can wait until round 3, 4, or even 5. Running back, too, is a position that might be best addressed in rounds 3 or 4. So again, where does that leave pick number 54? BPA...and if that’s Dugger, then so be it. Lord knows I trust Beane asa talent evaluator, and I trust this regime in general when it comes to the defensive backfield.

There are a TON of red flags with Dugger.

And exactly how many of us have seen the kid live in a college game? Short answer........... no one.

Not sure if they would have signed AJ Klein if they wanted really wanted to be a plain nickel defense. Arent McDermott’s roots in the 4-3 under? Need a SaM for that. 

I dunno. I think Beane has to get immediate impact contributors with pick 2 and 3. I don’t hate the idea of Duggar, and I think we need an upgrade in our safety depth, but is a division 2 guy really going to be able to contribute this year or even next? Like I said in another post, I have never seen the guy play. He looked awesome at the combine but i feel like we go in the “immediate impact” direction in rounds 2 and 3. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Not sure if they would have signed AJ Klein if they wanted really wanted to be a plain nickel defense. Arent McDermott’s roots in the 4-3 under? Need a SaM for that. 

I dunno. I think Beane has to get immediate impact contributors with pick 2 and 3. I don’t hate the idea of Duggar, and I think we need an upgrade in our safety depth, but is a division 2 guy really going to be able to contribute this year or even next? Like I said in another post, I have never seen the guy play. He looked awesome at the combine but i feel like we go in the “immediate impact” direction in rounds 2 and 3. 

At the end of the day, I will trust any decision McD makes when it comes to DBs. If he ultimately says he wants Dugger, I don’t see any reason to assume he won’t be good for us. I like what I’ve read and seem of him but obviously there’s very limited tape.

As far as D2 prospects being immediate contributors, it obviously takes a special prospect but Dugger might be one. Ali Marpet for example went from being a D2 player to an NFL stud overnight

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

At the end of the day, I will trust any decision McD makes when it comes to DBs. If he ultimately says he wants Dugger, I don’t see any reason to assume he won’t be good for us. I like what I’ve read and seem of him but obviously there’s very limited tape.

As far as D2 prospects being immediate contributors, it obviously takes a special prospect but Dugger might be one. Ali Marpet for example went from being a D2 player to an NFL stud overnight

Great points all around

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Joe Buscaglia mocked the Bills draft by trying to run a draft as Brandon Beane’s thinking. Here’s who he came up with.  Also he did simulate a draft using The Draft Network’s simulator:

You can read all of the analysis and his rationale below:

https://theathletic.com/1722463/2020/04/03/how-i-would-draft-for-the-bills-if-im-brandon-beane/?source=shared-article

Round 2 - Kyle Duggar  S   Lenoir Ryne

Round 3 - Bryan Edwards WR  South Carolina 

Round 4 - John Simpson OL Clemson

Round 5 - Lamical Perine RB  Florida

Round 7 - Charlie Heck OT  North Carolina

I don’t know how much I love the picks.  He said that Duggar would allow the team to basically be a Nickel defense and could help offset the loss of Lorenzo Alexander.

Instead of drafting Perine, I would rather give up one of the lower picks and trade up to take Zack Moss.  

I think taking a super-athletic freak DII safety who has never faced top competition with our top draft pick is highly risky.

We'll see though

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Joe Buscaglia mocked the Bills draft by trying to run a draft as Brandon Beane’s thinking. Here’s who he came up with.  Also he did simulate a draft using The Draft Network’s simulator:

You can read all of the analysis and his rationale below:

https://theathletic.com/1722463/2020/04/03/how-i-would-draft-for-the-bills-if-im-brandon-beane/?source=shared-article

Round 2 - Kyle Duggar  S   Lenoir Ryne

Round 3 - Bryan Edwards WR  South Carolina 

Round 4 - John Simpson OL Clemson

Round 5 - Lamical Perine RB  Florida

Round 7 - Charlie Heck OT  North Carolina

I don’t know how much I love the picks.  He said that Duggar would allow the team to basically be a Nickel defense and could help offset the loss of Lorenzo Alexander.

Instead of drafting Perine, I would rather give up one of the lower picks and trade up to take Zack Moss.  

No thanks Joe...?

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, njbuff said:

There are a TON of red flags with Dugger.

And exactly how many of us have seen the kid live in a college game? Short answer........... no one.

Somewhat fair. It’s weird for you to say there are “a TON” of red flags with Dugger. How could you know that with certainty? Most draft analysts have him anywhere from the late 1st to late 3rd round, but rarely beyond that.

Anyway, my post was more referring to being against “position X” with pick 54, in this case, a safety. Doesn’t matter if it’s Dugger, Chinn, Winfield Jr, the point was that some are locked into the thinking that “if it’s not the position I want (RB, WR, whatever), it’s a wasted pick.”

I simply mean to point out that the roster is well positioned for Beane to TRULY take the best player available. They MAY see Dugger as that. I’ve not watched him play much, but I HAVE read that the Bills have done more work on him than any other NFL team, and it DOES seem like his skill set translates to the big nickel spot that we all know McDermott seems to like. For these reasons, it shouldn’t surprise anyone if he winds up a Bill.

3 hours ago, dubs said:

agree terrible mock. But disagree that RB is a “need”. I would calL RB perhaps the least need on the team. 

1) it’s a devalued position

2) have a second year back that played very well last year, and used a 3rd on him last year. 
3) serviceable backs are always available in FA. 
4) worst case scenario, throw more

Most lists of best RB in the 2019 season have Singletary about #20.  If he gets hurt, we will have a guy who didn't even dress for most games last year.   In a good year for RB, we can get a top 3 or at least a top 5 guy.    Are you happy with Mr. #20 as RB, when we may have a shot at going deep in the playoffs?