Joe B - How I Would Draft For the Bills If I Were Brandon Beane

Joe Buscaglia mocked the Bills draft by trying to run a draft as Brandon Beane’s thinking. Here’s who he came up with.  Also he did simulate a draft using The Draft Network’s simulator:

You can read all of the analysis and his rationale below:

https://theathletic.com/1722463/2020/04/03/how-i-would-draft-for-the-bills-if-im-brandon-beane/?source=shared-article

Round 2 - Kyle Duggar  S   Lenoir Ryne

Round 3 - Bryan Edwards WR  South Carolina 

Round 4 - John Simpson OL Clemson

Round 5 - Lamical Perine RB  Florida

Round 7 - Charlie Heck OT  North Carolina

I don’t know how much I love the picks.  He said that Duggar would allow the team to basically be a Nickel defense and could help offset the loss of Lorenzo Alexander.

Instead of drafting Perine, I would rather give up one of the lower picks and trade up to take Zack Moss.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Process said:

What a horrific mock. Two biggest needs are pash rusher and RB and we won't address either until Rd 5? 

agree terrible mock. But disagree that RB is a “need”. I would calL RB perhaps the least need on the team. 

1) it’s a devalued position

2) have a second year back that played very well last year, and used a 3rd on him last year. 
3) serviceable backs are always available in FA. 
4) worst case scenario, throw more

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, dubs said:

agree terrible mock. But disagree that RB is a “need”. I would calL RB perhaps the least need on the team. 

2) have a second year back that played very well last year, and used a 3rd on him last year. 

No one values rbs less then I do but it's absolutely a need.

• Like (+1) 7

I certainly don't want a safety with our first pick. Secondary is like the strongest part of our team. I'd rather have a pass rusher, linebacker, offensive lineman, RB... Oh, basically any other position besides QB, K, and P.

49 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

why you’re hoping for AJ Dillion in Round 2?  Not gonna happen

I hope he plays more like Charlie Hell

Not at all.  I’m not as concerned with the Dugger pick as I am the rest.  And I don’t think any of us can really say for sure how this draft will fall.  We’ve never had the variables that this draft will unfortunately have.   

21 minutes ago, Process said:

No one values rbs less then I do but it's absolutely a need.

In the literal sense, yes. They need to have a backup RB, but it’s so far down the impact and priority list, I would never really call it a need. 

• Like (+1) 2

I agree this looks like a Beane-ish mock. I really do think they want Dugger, I'm hopeful he's a 3rd rounder for us, but could see us taking him in Round 2. He's probably just a situational Big-Nickel & ST Ace in year 1, but potential stud after that.

I haven't had Bryan Edwards on my radar, but just studies up on him, and he looks like a great fit here.

I really like Perine too, but I don't think he lasts to the 5th. He has the receiving ability that Singletary hasn't yet shown and would be a good fit.

Edited by 947
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, dubs said:

The team is returning 2 rushing TDs at the RB position.  2

Singletary is a nice piece between the 20s, but he’s not a guy who can get you tough yards or take on blitzing LBs in pass protection.  Guys like that will always be over valued by the casual fan because they get inflated YPC stats.  2 yard TD runs don’t help YPC numbers, but they are extremely important to playing winning football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

I certainly don't want a safety with our first pick. Secondary is like the strongest part of our team. I'd rather have a pass rusher, linebacker, offensive lineman, RB... Oh, basically any other position besides QB, K, and P.

I wonder if Bills will listen to your desire of a LS.

7 minutes ago, Billl said:

The team is returning 2 rushing TDs at the RB position.  2

Singletary is a nice piece between the 20s, but he’s not a guy who can get you tough yards or take on blitzing LBs in pass protection.  Guys like that will always be over valued by the casual fan because they get inflated YPC stats.  2 yard TD runs don’t help YPC numbers, but they are extremely important to playing winning football.

When Singletary pulls a hammy or gets a high ankle sprain people will appreciate the need for a RB 1B. 

• Like (+1) 10

22 minutes ago, MJS said:

I read the article and JB notes that Dugger (or Chinn) if there would come in and play the Big Nickel role in Bills D immediately.  Both could probably back up Milano too.  In the box, they could be run stoppers, drop in coverage or blitz off the edge.  Marlowe and Neal have not been effective in that role so he sees it as a real need.  Bills lack such a player now.

I think Bills Offense needs a RB who can gain tough yards and play in 4 minute offense, goal line and short yardage packages.  Yeldon is not that guy and worried doing so will wear Singletary down by games end.  So sign one or draft one.  I like AJ Dillon but not before round 4.  Michael Warren from Cinci is another beast.

• Like (+1) 1