Reading the tea leaves and it’s coming up Dugger

Being "tuned-in" with OBD may give you an idea what players/positions they are interested in.  It does not forecast who the pick is actually going to be.

Not even Brandon Beane knows who they are going to pick.  There are 53 players who will be taken before our first selection (barring a trade).  For all anyone knows, Dugger could be gone in the 1st Round.

The only thing clear about Beane's strategy, is that he's leaving himself open to go "almost" anywhere with his picks.

At this point, we have zero needs in the starting lineup.  Regardless of who we draft, that player is probably going to spend most of 2020 watching from the sidelines.  We go with a RB, he will be in a timeshare with Devin Singletary.  We go edge rusher, he will be 4th (at best) in the rotation.  Dugger wouldn't start over Micah Hyde or Jordan Poyer, and it may take some time before he could even displace Siran Neal.

19 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The talent in the draft is at WR

I think this is one of the more overblown narratives of this draft. There is a high quantity of good WR prospects, but after Jeudy, Ruggs, and Lamb the quality is no different than other drafts. Now that being said the fact that there are three 1A WR prospects could mean that a 1B will drop to us. But my guess is there will be a run on WRs all the way through the 2nd round and by the time we're picking the value there will be gone.

22 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I just prefer to see them address the offensive side of the ball in some way, as it needs the most improvement. Still was not even a top 20 passing team last season. 

Diggs solves just about every problem with our pass offense last year. That's what a legitimate #1 WR does. John Brown slides into the #2 role and will now face lesser competition. With Diggs clearing the way at the intermediate level of the field, Beasley will have more room to get open in the slot. All of that means Allen will have a much easier time finding an open receiver. Which means in turn the pass protection won't have to hold up as long which means they won't be worn out by the end of the game. All of these factors will also open up our running game since defenses will have to give more attention to our receivers.

Even if Allen doesn't improve at all the pass offense will be better just because Diggs is on the field. Adding another receiver to sit behind Diggs and Brown isn't going to move the needle. And of course if Allen does take another step along with the addition of Diggs, you're going to see a massive jump in the offense's production. We don't need to reach for offense at pick 54.

A RB2 would be more appealing to me than a WR at that spot, but similar to what I said above I don't know if the value will be there at 54. Taylor, Dobbins, and Swift will all be gone. No other RB excites me enough to keep me from waiting until round 3 and beyond.

All in all I think the value at pick 54 is going to be on defense. Edge rusher is still our biggest need IMO. LB is a sneaky need as well. And our DB depth behind White, Poyer, and Hyde is either mediocre or injury prone. I expect we go to one of those position groups at 54 and I'm sure we will still add another receiver later in the draft.

4 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Just watched a 3 minute Dugger draft video, which was not super impressive.  SI has him rated at #56.  I'd be a little surprised if he was our pick in the 2nd round. 

they will probably try to draft a guy ranked between 30-45 on their board...

4 hours ago, CommonCents said:

If they took at Edge at 54 I’d understand their decision. Unless there is a guy falling 30ish spots past his projected pick I wouldn’t understand any other defensive picks in the 2nd round. 

Let’s get serious about building an elite offense, Diggs is nice now go get us Dobbins or a young WR. 

I agree what Buscaglia said I the article that I just read was that Duggar has the athleticism and explosiveness to play all 3 downs. It would let the Bills play mostly Nickel.  He also said that Duggar is a game changing playmaker on defense and that has been something that is what the defense honesty lacked last season.  

I really don’t think they’ll draft a RB until round 4 at the earliest

56 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

But what receivers projected to be available at 54 will fill a role on our offense? Our top 3 is set in stone. Adding Diggs means receiver went from our biggest need to one of our lowest. The only potential receiver I could see is Shenault if he drops due to injury, he would fit into this offense right away. Otherwise the potential receivers at that spot are going to be backing up Diggs/Brown or Beasley. We do need to get younger, and bigger, at the position - but I wouldn't reach at 54 just for that. We can get a size receiver or a legitimate backup to Beasley later on.

This.

If they're going offense, my bet is at RB.

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Aiyuk or Hamler.

Eh, they don't move the needle for me either. Aiyuk I'd be okay with but I would honestly hate Hamler - the book on him is mediocre hands and no catch radius. I'm good on smallish twitchy receivers. If we want a WR that can run fast with the ball in his hands but with no contested catch or physical ability, Foster and McKenzie can compete for that role. The one piece our WR corps is missing is physical traits. Give me Shenault for sure - when I look at the best combination of pick value, positional need, and scheme fit, Shenault would be far and away our best option at pick 54. Otherwise I'm going with another position.

15 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

I prefer one of the big potential RB's or another receiver like Pittman 

I wouldn't mind Pittman there, we would just have to live with the fact he would barely see the field this year. He wouldn't steal time from Diggs or Brown so he would be a developmental backup who maybe we could use in specific packages in the redzone. Personally I would rather take someone at 54 that can contribute more this year, but I could convince myself on Pittman because he fills a niche that we don't already have.

It's so hard to accurately predict the Bills first pick.  You'd have to guess which 53 players will be off the board by then and then guess who Beane sees at the BPA.  

Given our lack of urgent needs, I really do believe Beane will go BPA with his first pick.   The only positions I think Beane would NOT draft here are QB, P, and PK.  

• Like (+1) 1

Don't really know how the draft is going to play out, especially when we are waiting this long to make our 1st pick.  I think there are a number of specific players that are on Beane's radar.  He may play the waiting game because he is certain one of the players he wants will fall to our pick.  If there is more than one player that falls, I would not be surprised if Buffalo picks at #54 then immediately starts looking for a trade up from our second pick.  This seems like the most likely scenario when considering Beane's draft history. I don't think trying to trade up from #54 is in the cards, because the price is too steep. Could be wrong here but it seems we have some ammo to make some moves in the upper/middle rounds.

I don't want to get too wrapped up in who my favorite pick is.  The focus should be in filling the roster with contributors that can have a positive impact.  We all want a home run pick. Some see RB, Edge or WR as that pick.  Truth is, there are a crap load of other positions.  Whoever it ends up being, you can bet that the roster will improve and the team will be stronger.  My personal opinion is that there will be a focus on improving the running game.  The run and the pass compliment each other.  On paper, the WR position is strong now. RB still needs some work. That doesn't necessarily mean RB is going to be the 1st pick.  Defense could use a couple of pieces too.  Maximizing positive impact throughout the draft will be tricky because after trading our 1st to get Diggs means we are now coming late to the game.

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

They already have Siran Neal in that big nickel role and he is a very good player. And Taron Johnson is a very good slot corner (when healthy).

And Edmunds and Milano are on the field 100% of the time at LB.

Where exactly do Chinn and Dugger fit into this equation?

Chinn or Dugger would be a waste of a high draft choice if you ask me.

They would fit into the future.  And if drafted, you could assume Beane/McD are not as enamored with Neal as some fans.  I like Neal personally, but I'm in with whatever Beane decides to do.  He's earned my confidence.

27 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Do you envision these guys immediate contributors? Is this depth and development?

Hamler definitely - he reminds me so much of Tyreek Hill.  

I also wouldn’t overlook interior offensive linemen - the Bills play against some great DLs this coming season and they need Allen to stay upright in 2020.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Hamler definitely - he reminds me so much of Tyreek Hill.  

I also wouldn’t overlook interior offensive linemen - the Bills play against some great DLs this coming season and they need Allen to stay upright in 2020.

Whoa...if Hamler = Hill I'm in.

Plus, can never, ever go wrong with a good "trenches" selection.  

5 hours ago, TPS said:

It's  certainly something Beane has no issues doing. How far up would/should they go? 

I don't know if we have the ammo to get early 2nd, but if Swift or Taylor fall I can't imagine them available beyond that point. (Dobbins is in that conversation, too.) Akers is the fella I like who might plausibly be there at #54, btw.