5th year option on Allen or bid on Watson in FA in 22

Mango

I hate to be the "Devil's Advocate" in all this discussion but at this point none of us knows whether there will even be a 2020 NFL season. Poloncarz was asked about that and seemed to say that he wasn't so sure there would even be a season with the Covid-19 situation. There has already been some discussion on what the league "might" do under these conditions as to whether or not a player would even accrue credit for a season if the season had to be cancelled. Right now it is hard to count on much of anything...

2 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

I hate to be the "Devil's Advocate" in all this discussion but at this point none of us knows whether there will even be a 2020 NFL season. Poloncarz was asked about that and seemed to say that he wasn't so sure there would even be a season with the Covid-19 situation. There has already been some discussion on what the league "might" do under these conditions as to whether or not a player would even accrue credit for a season if the season had to be cancelled. Right now it is hard to count on much of anything...

I think that at worst, they'll play games without fans.  The majority of their revenue comes from TV and those ratings will be huge.  And by then, they should be able to test players at-will.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I think that at worst, they'll play games without fans.  The majority of their revenue comes from TV and those ratings will be huge.  And by then, they should be able to test players at-will.

Yeah, I've heard about that. Wrestlemania over the weekend took place without fans present. I'm not sure that can work over a 16 game season. But it's beginning to appear like we just might find out. 

On 4/3/2020 at 6:15 PM, FarrellsFinest said:

Idk why we passed on Watson to begin with..or Pat. They were great in college and we needed a qb. But im all in on Allen at this point ride or die!

I think having Tyrod at the time not being able to stay in the pocket and throw the ball ,and really I think we were looking  for a pocket passer with a BIG arm , I’m sure the weather in Buffalo had to be on they’re mind as well 

just my opinion ( I’m probably wrong as hell )

On 4/4/2020 at 11:48 AM, GunnerBill said:

Think that is complete wishful thinking. If Josh gets to that level he is getting paid. And if Buffalo doesn't pay him someone else will. With Brady he just always backfilled. Which meant the Pats were competitive while he was there but were always gonna be left with a big cap hit when he left. 

Agreed.  Brady also had a wife who made more money than him and made a killing in endorsements.  Brady's situation was about as unique as one can get in terms of making it easy to take team friendly deals.  

Allen in all reality has this upcoming season and next season with good results to show he is worth another contract before he gets booted. He will get resigned if he gets us playoff wins, QBs that can do that with some regularity don’t just get tossed, and it appears likely this will be the case. 
   For those that have fear otherwise, relax, Beane already has plans for that possibility. 

Stay healthy Bills Nation!!!

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed.  Brady also had a wife who made more money than him and made a killing in endorsements.  Brady's situation was about as unique as one can get in terms of making it easy to take team friendly deals.  

And he was probably getting paid under the table as well.

On 4/3/2020 at 3:47 PM, Billl said:

There is a LOT of buzz that DW wants out of Houston.  Watson already is what everyone hopes Allen will someday become.  Given the choice, you pay whatever it takes to get Watson and see what you can get in trade for Allen.  I can’t imagine there is a GM in the league (Beane possibly excluded) who would prefer Allen at $30,000,000 over Watson at $40,000,000.

Watson can force his way out, but it’s going to be after the 5th year and the 6th year franchise tag and quite possibly the 7th year Franchise tag if he won’t extend.  At that point it’s going to be a couple of 1st rounders minimum to make the trade for him and pay 40m+ a year.  I’m still ok with that, I think. Who knows, maybe they play him on the 2nd franchise tag and then tag him a 3rd time or transition tag?  It will be interesting.