5th year option on Allen or bid on Watson in FA in 22

Mango

I live in Houston and I think Watson wants out.  Just my gut feeling. 

DW's no dummy and I think he, just like anybody, sees the long term harm that BoB is doing to that franchise.  So, if BoB is there, I don't think there is any amount of money that Houston can offer DW to convince him to stay, especially if he has his pick of potential suitors.  Now, if BoB is let go because (a) BoB ruined the franchise or (b) ownership senses that DW won't stay with HOU if BoB is still around, then all bets are off and DW might stick around.  Of course, if the Texans turn into the burning dumpster filled with baby diarrhea diapers that I expect them to, getting rid of BoB might not be enough to keep DW around.  He' be entering his prime and again; could have his pick of teams and still make a lot of $$$.  Maybe even Buffalo!

Edited by saundena
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why would any rational fan give up on JA after watching him perform with the less than stellar skill players in his first 2 years. He is a warrior and plays the whole season. His teammates love the guys toughness and plays better at the end of games. Deshawn is good but is more likely to get hurt and has played with a better supporting cast. JA has 2 more years to prove he can take us all the way.  Support this man. He is capable of great things with better o-line play and the receivers Beane has provided , he should be markedly better. Phil Simms was either hurt or bad for 5 seasons before he became borderline HOF. A lot of this is learning the league and continuity of coaching and personnel. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

Why would any rational fan give up on JA after watching him perform with the less than stellar skill players in his first 2 years. He is a warrior and plays the whole season. His teammates love the guys toughness and plays better at the end of games. Deshawn is good but is more likely to get hurt and has played with a better supporting cast. JA has 2 more years to prove he can take us all the way.  Support this man. He is capable of great things with better o-line play and the receivers Beane has provided , he should be markedly better. Phil Simms was either hurt or bad for 5 seasons before he became borderline HOF. A lot of this is learning the league and continuity of coaching and personnel. 

So mark you down as a pay what it takes for Watson then? 

Nobody said anything bad about Josh in the thread. I think Russell Wilson is better than Josh Allen, that doesn't mean Josh sucks. Hell, if Russ were on the market at the same time we had to extend Josh, I would say the same thing, something to think about. It is something that EVERY.SINGLE.GM. should think about should the option arise. 

It isn't like the ask is, "Would you pay Tannehill top 10 money and let Josh walk". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mango said:

Nobody said anything bad about Josh in the thread. I think Russell Wilson is better than Josh Allen, that doesn't mean Josh sucks. Hell, if Russ were on the market at the same time we had to extend Josh, I would say the same thing, something to think about. It is something that EVERY.SINGLE.GM. should think about should the option arise. 

It isn't like the ask is, "Would you pay Tannehill top 10 money and let Josh walk". 

17 minutes ago, Mango said:

Why consider Wilson In his mid thirties at the time to extend JA if he wins a few divisions and playoff games. The question was Watson, and I  just think JA has a bigger upside. Give him another season with Diggs and better O-line play and that thread will seem silly. I'm a JA fan so factor that in.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Why would you take heat for stating the obvious that Watson is now and will always be a better qb than Josh? And that preference is not a slight on Allen who I think is going to be a good qb. As with you I consider Mahomes as the best qb with the advantage of youth over Wilson. I have a high regard for Russell Wilson but would take Watson over him because he is a younger qb.

The Bills had the opportunity to draft either Mahomes or Watson a couple of years ago. They didn't seize on that opportunity. It was a mistake.  

Can I borrow that crystal ball?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Because this place is for Bills fans. And Bills fans are not always very understanding of objectivity. 

Truth can't be refuted. It can be ignored and distorted. In the end it is enduring even if you have to hide behind a barricade in order to avoid the crooked arrows directed toward you. :ph34r:

Just now, JohnC said:

Truth can't be refuted. It can be ignored and distorted. In the end it is enduring even if you have to hide behind a barricade in order to avoid the crooked arrows directed toward you. :ph34r:

I don't put much stock in what people claim to be the truth.  I'll wait and see myself, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Can I borrow that crystal ball?

You don't need a crystal ball. Just trust your eyes and it will tell you all you need to know. I say with supreme confidence that there is no GM in the league, including the one who presides over the Bills,  who given the choice wouldn't take Watson over Josh. If you don't believe me then go to @GunnerBill one of the most sagacious voices on this platform who will set you straight.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

You KNOW, but at your age, you simply won't REMEMBER.

seasons, easy on Augie.  He’s a good dude, and know you’re just kidding and so am I.  As far as this thread,  this one of 290 that are just silly.  Over the years, I’ve read about, how about, Brady, Rodgers, Manning, and so on and so on.  They’re silly and not picking on you at all, but this won’t happen as it never happens.

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Exactly. If he takes another jump this year , I'm all in with Allen. He handles himself like a franchise QB off the field like he should, very impressive, and his leadership is great.

That'd be my test results , without the cocaine

What the hell is wrong with you ?? 

Without the cocaine he says !!!

Edited by Putin
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

Why consider Wilson In his mid thirties at the time to extend JA if he wins a few divisions and playoff games. The question was Watson, and I  just think JA has a bigger upside. Give him another season with Diggs and better O-line play and that thread will seem silly. I'm a JA fan so factor that in.

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You don't need a crystal ball. Just trust your eyes and it will tell you all you need to know. I say with supreme confidence that there is no GM in the league, including the one who presides over the Bills,  who given the choice wouldn't take Watson over Josh. If you don't believe me then go to @GunnerBill one of the most sagacious voices on this platform who will set you straight.   

I wonder how your supreme confidence will hold up when Watson's receiving corps is deployed with no Hopkins. This would be similar to what JA went to war with in the playoffs. Watson is a  very good QB, and is below 500 in playoffs with a serious injury on his resume.  You want to tie your wagon to him, best of luck.

1 hour ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

I wonder how your supreme confidence will hold up when Watson's receiving corps is deployed with no Hopkins. This would be similar to what JA went to war with in the playoffs. Watson is a  very good QB, and is below 500 in playoffs with a serious injury on his resume.  You want to tie your wagon to him, best of luck.

Not sure you want to use playoff winning percentage and injury history to argue for Josh.  

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/josh-allen/9962

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/deshaun-watson/7744

4 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Unless Watson completely bottoms out over the next 2 years there’s no chance Houston let’s him hit FA.  This entire topic is moot and mute

Pretty much where I am at.

1 hour ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

I will tie my wagon to him. And I have zero hesitation doing so. He will be fine without Hopkins. Hop is a top talent but so is Deshaun Watson. 

EDIT: and I like where Josh is at for the most part. It isn't a dig at him at all. The only two QBs in the league I wouldn't swap for Watson are Mahomes and Wilson.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2