5th year option on Allen or bid on Watson in FA in 22

Mango

Just now, JohnC said:

Why would you take heat for stating the obvious that Watson is now and will always be a better qb than Josh? And that preference is not a slight on Allen who I think is going to be a good qb. As with you I consider Mahomes as the best qb with the advantage of youth over Wilson. I have a high regard for Russell Wilson but would take Watson over him because he is a younger qb.

The Bills had the opportunity to draft either Mahomes or Watson a couple of years ago. They didn't seize on that opportunity. It was a mistake.  

Because this place is for Bills fans. And Bills fans are not always very understanding of objectivity. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Bills had the opportunity to draft either Mahomes or Watson a couple of years ago. They didn't seize on that opportunity. It was a mistake.  

Wait, we could've had Mahomes?

• Haha (+1) 5

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I will take heat for this but I am going to be honest. You give me the choice now and I am going Deshaun Watson.

The only QB either / ors in the league where my choice wouldn't be Deshaun Watson are Patrick Mahomes and Russell Wilson.

Im holding out hope that Allen takes a massive leap this year. That’s really the only way I would take him over Watson.

If we get more of the same Josh or even just a slight improvement then I would take Watson and it’s not even close.

There is a LOT of buzz that DW wants out of Houston.  Watson already is what everyone hopes Allen will someday become.  Given the choice, you pay whatever it takes to get Watson and see what you can get in trade for Allen.  I can’t imagine there is a GM in the league (Beane possibly excluded) who would prefer Allen at $30,000,000 over Watson at $40,000,000.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

COVID had me thinking. With all the trade rumors and twitter posts about Watson in Houston, I have a gut feeling he would rather see FA than re sign there (but who knows I guess). The Texans would be foolish to not take the 5th year option.

If he hits FA in 2 years, would you rather get into a bidding war and pay him $40M per (guessing 2022 value) or keep moving forward with Allen, taking his 5th year option, to an eventual extension?

Whats wrong with people? 

We have the best Front office, Coach, and Team we've had in decades. We've  made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years under the new regime. By all accounts we're poised to have another playoff season and more. We've dug ourselves out of salary cap hell. We are one of the bright spots across the NFL and are generating some real buzz. We have a team of young and up and coming stars. We have a draft coming up pretty soon, etc. etc. etc. and THIS is what you come up with? 

It's F'n mind boggling.  :wallbash:

• Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, babulator said:

Whats wrong with people? 

We have the best Front office, Coach, and Team we've had in decades. We've  made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years under the new regime. By all accounts we're poised to have another playoff season and more. We've dug ourselves out of salary cap hell. We are one of the bright spots across the NFL and are generating some real buzz. We have a team of young and up and coming stars. We have a draft coming up pretty soon, etc. etc. etc. and THIS is what you come up with? 

It's F'n mind boggling.  :wallbash:

It is a hypothetical, get over it dude. I didn't knock, Allen, Beane, or McD here. There was literally no complaint about anybody. It is a light-hearted "what if" situation that also lines up with a decision on taking the option on our (currently trending upwards) QB. 

I think there are MAYBE 5 teams that shouldn't be having this discussion internally if that situation comes to fruition. That number is probably closer to 3.

Just to summarize, would you bid on Watson or not in this situation?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Why would you take heat for stating the obvious that Watson is now and will always be a better qb than Josh? And that preference is not a slight on Allen who I think is going to be a good qb. As with you I consider Mahomes as the best qb with the advantage of youth over Wilson. I have a high regard for Russell Wilson but would take Watson over him because he is a younger qb.

that ship has sailed.....move on please. We all know by now.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

It is a hypothetical, get over it dude. I didn't knock, Allen, Beane, or McD here. There was literally no complaint about anybody. It is a light-hearted "what if" situation that also lines up with a decision on taking the option on our (currently trending upwards) QB. 

I think there are MAYBE 5 teams that shouldn't be having this discussion internally if that situation comes to fruition. That number is probably closer to 3.

Just to summarize, would you bid on Watson or not in this situation?  

It's totally out of the realm of reality that it doesn't deserve a thoughtful response on it's merits.

It does however make me question my decision to click on this thread.

You're right, though, I'm over it. ?‍♂️

28 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Why would the Texans not just franchise Watson? This thread is presenting a choice that Watson would actually be available. 

AFAIK you can’t franchise after the 5th year option. I could be wrong 

44 minutes ago, Mango said:

If you put a gun to my head today and said re sign Josh at 25M or DW at 40M, I think I would still go DW. 

Probably shouldn't bring up any weapon choices, Mango..............................................

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Billl said:

There is a LOT of buzz that DW wants out of Houston.  Watson already is what everyone hopes Allen will someday become.  Given the choice, you pay whatever it takes to get Watson and see what you can get in trade for Allen.  I can’t imagine there is a GM in the league (Beane possibly excluded) who would prefer Allen at $30,000,000 over Watson at $40,000,000.

No GM in their right mind would trade Watson for Allen.  That would be like giving up one of the best WR in the league for a 2nd round pick and a vastly overpaid RB .

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Watson can be 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

AFAIK you can’t franchise after the 5th year option. I could be wrong 

No they can franchise after the 5th year option. The new CBA benefit is that the 5th year option pays the same as the franchise tag and year 6 is the franchise tag plus 20%. So Watson realistically becomes a free agent in 4 seasons unless he signs a long-term extension before then. Plus, if Houston's progression continues without Hopkins there people will get over it. A lot happens in 4 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

No GM in their right mind would trade Watson for Allen.  That would be like giving up one of the best WR in the league for a 2nd round pick and a vastly overpaid RB .

I think he meant try and get some value for Allen from a different franchise AND pursue Watson in FA. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have bemoaned Josh's poor accuracy since before he was drafted, but he has many other positives in spades so I'm anxious to see what he can do in year 3. If he can put together anything resembling a 4000 yard season with a 65% completion rate and 25 TD's while holding the picks + fumbles total to single digits, he's my guy. If not, all options are on the table. Hopefully he can operate much better under pressure in 2020.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mango said:

COVID had me thinking. With all the trade rumors and twitter posts about Watson in Houston, I have a gut feeling he would rather see FA than re sign there (but who knows I guess). The Texans would be foolish to not take the 5th year option.

If he hits FA in 2 years, would you rather get into a bidding war and pay him $40M per (guessing 2022 value) or keep moving forward with Allen, taking his 5th year option, to an eventual extension?

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1