5th year option on Allen or bid on Watson in FA in 22

Mango

COVID had me thinking. With all the trade rumors and twitter posts about Watson in Houston, I have a gut feeling he would rather see FA than re sign there (but who knows I guess). The Texans would be foolish to not take the 5th year option.

If he hits FA in 2 years, would you rather get into a bidding war and pay him $40M per (guessing 2022 value) or keep moving forward with Allen, taking his 5th year option, to an eventual extension?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

COVID had me thinking. With all the trade rumors and twitter posts about Watson in Houston, I have a gut feeling he would rather see FA than re sign there (but who knows I guess). The Texans would be foolish to not take the 5th year option.

Well apparently COVID can cause hallucinations and even brain damage, so I get where you're coming from!  ?

Watson will NOT be available.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

If he hits FA in 2 years, would you rather get into a bidding war and pay him $40M per (guessing 2022 value) or keep moving forward with Allen, taking his 5th year option, to an eventual extension?

you might want to try Ebola instead 

• Haha (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Depends on what happens this season.  Will Josh flourish with his receiving corps?  Will Watson flounder without Hopkins.  Stay tuned...

This is a question that cannot be answered NOW.

On a related note, I’m not sure what I will want for dinner next Tuesday.  

• Haha (+1) 4

I am old enough at this point to deserve to be crotchety once in awhile so here goes. 

The problem with this world is that too many people feel that a "gut feeling" is something akin to an honest to goodness fact. And what's more, I am sick and tired of kids who can't play on their own damn lawn. 

Okay, it felt good to get that out.

• Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Mango said:

So, your tests came back positive??

F25197B5-6848-43F6-B6BE-DB4BD7CE2ACA.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

Depends on what happens this season.  Will Josh flourish with his receiving corps?  Will Watson flounder without Hopkins.  Stay tuned...

Exactly. If he takes another jump this year , I'm all in with Allen. He handles himself like a franchise QB off the field like he should, very impressive, and his leadership is great.

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

So, your tests came back positive??

F25197B5-6848-43F6-B6BE-DB4BD7CE2ACA.jpeg

That'd be my test results , without the cocaine

• Like (+1) 2

I will take heat for this but I am going to be honest. You give me the choice now and I am going Deshaun Watson.

The only QB either / ors in the league where my choice wouldn't be Deshaun Watson are Patrick Mahomes and Russell Wilson.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I will take heat for this but I am going to be honest. You give me the choice now and I am going Deshaun Watson.

The only QB either / ors in the league where my choice wouldn't be Deshaun Watson are Patrick Mahomes and Russell Wilson.

This is where I am at. Josh may be "the guy", but I would take Watson at 40M than Allen at 30M. It isn't necessarily a knock on Allen, there are just only a few situations in the league where this would not be a MAJOR upgrade. 

• Like (+1) 5

51 minutes ago, Mango said:

Unless Watson completely bottoms out over the next 2 years there’s no chance Houston let’s him hit FA.  This entire topic is moot and mute

1 minute ago, Mango said:

This is where I am at. Josh may be "the guy", but I would take Watson at 40M than Allen at 30M. It isn't necessarily a knock on Allen, there are just only a few situations in the league where this would not be a MAJOR upgrade. 

Today, yes. After the "potential" SB in 2021 provided we play it and win? We shall see............

1 minute ago, Seasons1992 said:

Today, yes. After the "potential" SB in 2021 provided we play it and win? We shall see............

If you put a gun to my head today and said re sign Josh at 25M or DW at 40M, I think I would still go DW. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That's fair.  But again, let's see how this season plays out.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Why would you take heat for stating the obvious that Watson is now and will always be a better qb than Josh? And that preference is not a slight on Allen who I think is going to be a good qb. As with you I consider Mahomes as the best qb with the advantage of youth over Wilson. I have a high regard for Russell Wilson but would take Watson over him because he is a younger qb.

The Bills had the opportunity to draft either Mahomes or Watson a couple of years ago. They didn't seize on that opportunity. It was a mistake.  

• Like (+1) 2