Would you sign a Vet QB or draft a QB vs Barkley?

On 4/3/2020 at 2:19 PM, Marshallp29 said:

With limited upgrades available at QB in FA, I still believe we have to bring in competition for Matt Barkley. If Flacco would come cheap I would certainly take him. Would you sign a QB In free agency or draft a QB this year in the later rounds of the draft? 

I cant see a realistic reason to even consider replacing Barkley until after this season. Josh Allen needs him for veteran advice and Barkley accepts that role perfectly.

Bringing in a Flacco or ugh brissett gives no assurance of the same mentoring that Barkley has shown. Quite possibly hindering Josh Allen and making JA take a step back. Low and behold if thats the case. The haters would call for JA's head on a platter.

No thanks ever since Barkley has been on the roster we've seen Allen steadily improving dont try to fix what isnt broken.

16 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I guess I'm one of the other posters you speak of.  The way I see it is if the Bills had a buddy/mentor type not that good on the field in 1993, no worlds.greatest comeback.  The Giants would have won one less SB.  No El Perfecto for the Fish as quality backup Earl Moral played a large part of the season.  Eagles would still have no SB wins. No greatest show on turf.

I would hate next year if we were 8-4 headed to Foxboro with Josh having to miss the next few games due to injury and we don't have someone to play that can win.

"QB is the most important position. Second most is backup QB. " --Joe Gibbs

I know this is  going to sting, reich was awful. 

career 5-15 and ~54% passer. But great off the field guy, mentor for JK and weekly preparation guy, as evident by his post playing career 

he was exactly what Barkley is. 

The vet pool is pretty shallow right now. After Flacco, it's Matt Moore who is probably no better than Barkley, who at least knows the offense inside and out by now. There is nobody else on the list who would improve the situation. 

If I'm Andy Dalton, I'm holding out for another opportunity to start. 

Honestly at this point I think Bills can sign Jameis to a 1-year prove it deal imo. I think that motivate Allen to be the best knowing there is a legitimate option to replace if he stumbles. If Barkley plays any extended time this season, Bills are toast.

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

career 5-15 and ~54% passer. But great off the field guy, mentor for JK and weekly preparation guy, as evident by his post playing career 

Exactly the same?  OK.  Thanks.

what about the others I mentioned?  Earl Morall?  Kurt Warner?  Nick Foles?

And Frank's numbers were skewed by playing for an expansion team and 2 other really bad teams.

When it counted, 1989 - 1993 he was 60% completions and threw 17 TDs vs 6 Ints. Exactly as Barkley would. Right?

Edited by reddogblitz

On 4/3/2020 at 3:57 PM, Gambit said:

It amazes me how often this comes up. For years we have dealt with needing a QB1 and we finally get one in Allen and now ppl have moved on to worrying about the backup. I get being worried because of how he plays but really? I'm more focused on Allen progressing than I am who warms the bench behind him.

With the way Allen plays and that he's gotten knocked out of games in each of the last two seasons I think who the backup QB is is a pretty important question for a team that fancies itself a contender.  Need to have a guy that can come in off the bench and win a game and go .500 or better in a couple starts if needed.  I'm not sure Barkley can do either of those things.

Quite frankly, the perfect backup QB for this team right now is Ryan Fitzpatrick.

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He was 4-4 in regular season starts as a Bill.  

He was also 2-0 in the playoffs. One game was the Houston comeback game, the other was the following week @Three Rivers Stadium where he completed almost 70% of his passes and threw 2TDs in beating the Steelers 24-3

He was a 58.9% passer as a Bill with 18TDs and 12INTs in the regular season.

He was a 62.9% passer in the playoffs with 7TDs and 3INTs.

He is EXACTLY the kind of guy I am talking about.  Someone who can come in and win a game in a pinch and keep a season on track if needed. Barkley hasn't shown himself to be that. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He was also 2-0 in the playoffs. One game was the Houston comeback game, the other was the following week @Three Rivers Stadium where he completed almost 70% of his passes and threw 2TDs in beating the Steelers 24-3

He is EXACTLY the kind of guy I am talking about.  Someone who can come in and win a game in a pinch and keep a season on track if needed. Barkley hasn't shown himself to be that. 

Barkley won the only game he’s ever started for Buffalo if you’re cherry picking and posted a 117 passer rating.  That same jets team he carved up came into new era and beat the bills a few week later. 

I understand Reichs place in bills lore, but we was not a very good QB.   

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Hell yes! I’d have more faith in a Street FA than Barkley coming in cold off the bench. The book is out in Barkley. Make him change the intended receiver and he’s toast. 

Good thing Barkley isnt expected to play any meaningful snaps then. Sorry but he is here for at least this season as Backup QB/mentor to Josh Allen. 

Let's be real the mentor part is 90% the reason he will definitely be our backup QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

Good thing Barkley isnt expected to play any meaningful snaps then. Sorry but he is here for at least this season as Backup QB/mentor to Josh Allen. 

Let's be real the mentor part is 90% the reason he will definitely be our backup QB.

Understood. He shocked the Jets because no one knew what to expect. By the end of that game, it was evident he has a noodle arm that solely relies on timing. If the unthinkable happens and we lose Allen for weeks, I seriously doubt we’ll win 1 game. 

Mentor schmentor. Get a real QB in here!

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Understood. He shocked the Jets because no one knew what to expect. By the end if that game, it was evident he has a noodle arm that solely relies on timing. If the unthinkable happens and we lose Allen for weeks, I seriously doubt we’ll win 1 game. 

Mentor schmentor. Get a real QB in here!

I can understand your concern. I personally place a bigger emphasis on Allen staying out of harms which a franchise QB should do as part of him being our guy. So the back up is of little consequence to me. 

And while there are plenty QB's better equipped to win games. I perfer to put the onus on Josh for us to not need anyone other than Barkley this year.

Edited by ChattanoogaBills

56 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

I can understand your concern. I personally place a bigger emphasis on Allen staying out of harms which a franchise QB should do as part of him being our guy. So the back up is of little consequence to me. 

And while there are plenty QB's better equipped to win games. I perfer to put the onus on Josh for us to not need anyone other than Barkley this year.

So Brady, Big Ben, A-Arod, Mahomes, Manning & many HOFers AREN'T being their teams’ guy??

Allen’s injury came after he threw from a strange -if questionable- errant helmet hit to his throwing elbow. 

Sorry, can’t get on board with this -much as I’d like to..We need a better back up QB than Barkley is able to provide. Personally, I don’t think there’s any argument about it..Especially with so many relatively decent options to choose from..

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Not counting the "substitute game" against the Jets 1st team, Barkley has only played one full game. He lit it up that game. That being said, They should definitely bring in some competition.

8 hours ago, K-Apps said:

Honestly at this point I think Bills can sign Jameis to a 1-year prove it deal 

Who signs a 1 year prove it deal to be glued to bench as a second stringer?  What does that prove?

But JA plays like JA plays.  Gets hurt, JW comes in puts up 350 yards and 3 td's in a big win.  Then what?  But I like the idea of signing JW

Edited by MarkyMannn

On 4/3/2020 at 2:25 PM, ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!! said:

I would love to have Flacco and draft a QB in mid rounds. If we keep Barkley I would be very disappointed. 

Flacco would be invaluable in helping Josh through the two weeks leading up to his first Superbowl appreance, and how to handle himself after his first Lumbardi victory.

• Haha (+1) 1