Would you sign a Vet QB or draft a QB vs Barkley?

5 hours ago, Marshallp29 said:

With limited upgrades available at QB in FA, I still believe we have to bring in competition for Matt Barkley. If Flacco would come cheap I would certainly take him. Would you sign a QB In free agency or draft a QB this year in the later rounds of the draft? 

Great point! It seems to me that there is someone out there that everyone is overlooking, including myself. I like everything Beane has done so far, I feel that we are solid from top to bottom EXCEPT possibly another pass rusher, a compliment RB, which I’m sure will be addressed adequately and last but not least the reinforcement of the QB position. I’m sure that everybody else feels the same way. I do not, I repeat, I do not feel comfortable going into the season with just Matt Barkley being the only viable QB other than a Josh on the roster. If Josh doesn’t progress or even worse, gets injured then we’re screwed because Barkley isn’t going to be the solution imo. There is another avenue as a resource for a QB and that is the CFL. I admittedly know nothing about that league or it’s players but maybe somebody else here could shed some light on some potential possibilities.

FWIW, I don’t think that there is even a debate in the Bills situation. When you are ready to win you have to have a number 2 that you can count on for a month to 6 weeks. It’s like the Saints with Teddy last year. Brees went down and he was 5-0. If you’re a team like Jacksonville trying to rebuild a young guy is a better investment. They are worth the lottery ticket. The Bills need stability. We aren’t accustomed to that but that’s what happens when you are a contender.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If I were running the team I would kick the tires on Flacco but with the public health situation that is going on getting him to a doctor you trust for a physical might be a big barrier. I would probably look to sign a vet and draft a QB in round 6 or 7. The QB drafted late goes to the PS and then vet battle with Barkely for the backup spot. But I am not spending big bucks no a backup QB and I am not drafting one before round 6. 

He’s sort of like Cassel. Just Meh Barkley. 

if you can upgrade, fine. We probably won’t take a rookie high enough in the draft to replace him year one. If you can upgrade in FA, cool. If he’s still the back up, whatever...

7 hours ago, WMDman said:

I still like Barkley...

I like Barkley as a three. Said this before, but watch that last jets game he played in last year. Huge game at the end of the year and he looked baaaadddd. Arm shot and just pathetic. Cant have that. Need an upgrade there. I'm all for keeping him as a three though for morale.

6 hours ago, Gambit said:

It amazes me how often this comes up. For years we have dealt with needing a QB1 and we finally get one in Allen and now ppl have moved on to worrying about the backup. I get being worried because of how he plays but really? I'm more focused on Allen progressing than I am who warms the bench behind him.

You answered your own question.  We should be looking for an upgrade from Barkley as this team is built to win now.  Ask the Steelers how important the backup position is.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gambit said:

It amazes me how often this comes up. For years we have dealt with needing a QB1 and we finally get one in Allen and now ppl have moved on to worrying about the backup. I get being worried because of how he plays but really? I'm more focused on Allen progressing than I am who warms the bench behind him.

I think you need both.  Allen needs to continue his progress and we need a solid backup who also can be a mentor (like Frank Reich)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

He’s sort of like Cassel. Just Meh Barkley. 

if you can upgrade, fine. We probably won’t take a rookie high enough in the draft to replace him year one. If you can upgrade in FA, cool. If he’s still the back up, whatever...

By the way, I coined the term “Meh Cassel” way back when. It’s my one contribution to this board, and I get zero credit for it. 

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

By the way, I coined the term “Meh Cassel” way back when. It’s my one contribution to this board, and I get zero credit for it. 

Meh Cassel ™️®️

Credit where credit is due my friend.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I'd bring in Andy Dalton. I'm surprised I have not heard rumblings that we have tried. It's a natural fit. I think the only concern might be that Dalton still feels he should be #1. If that isn't an issue- why not? He is already loved in Buffalo and he seems to love the city back. It seems all too obvious. I'd feel infinitely more comfortable knowing he was on the bench in case Allen gets injured. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SF Bills Fan said:

I'd bring in Andy Dalton. I'm surprised I have not heard rumblings that we have tried. It's a natural fit. I think the only concern might be that Dalton still feels he should be #1. If that isn't an issue- why not? He is already loved in Buffalo and he seems to love the city back. It seems all too obvious. I'd feel infinitely more comfortable knowing he was on the bench in case Allen gets injured. 

Also I believe he is under contract for 17M.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Also I believe he is under contract for 17M.

Saw that after I posted and read a bit more. I wonder if there is a way to re-structure? I don't know how the business side like that works. Putting that piece aside- I think he'd be a great fit. 

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You answered your own question.  We should be looking for an upgrade from Barkley as this team is built to win now.  Ask the Steelers how important the backup position is.

Their back ups suck lol

2 hours ago, SF Bills Fan said:

Saw that after I posted and read a bit more. I wonder if there is a way to re-structure? I don't know how the business side like that works. Putting that piece aside- I think he'd be a great fit. 

I doubt he would restructure let alone being a back up. Plus if Cincinnati cuts him loose and they draft Burrow, they won’t have a veteran QB on their team to help mentor Burrow and he’ll be on his own

On 4/3/2020 at 11:34 AM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I suspect They will bring in another arm. As I’ve mentioned before I don’t think they view back up QB They same way many posters here do. 

I think they value the off the field contribution of the back up qb more than on field ability 

I guess I'm one of the other posters you speak of.  The way I see it is if the Bills had a buddy/mentor type not that good on the field in 1993, no worlds.greatest comeback.  The Giants would have won one less SB.  No El Perfecto for the Fish as quality backup Earl Moral played a large part of the season.  Eagles would still have no SB wins. No greatest show on turf.

I would hate next year if we were 8-4 headed to Foxboro with Josh having to miss the next few games due to injury and we don't have someone to play that can win.

"QB is the most important position. Second most is backup QB. " --Joe Gibbs

Edited by reddogblitz