Would you sign a Vet QB or draft a QB vs Barkley?

With limited upgrades available at QB in FA, I still believe we have to bring in competition for Matt Barkley. If Flacco would come cheap I would certainly take him. Would you sign a QB In free agency or draft a QB this year in the later rounds of the draft? 

Edited by Marshallp29
Misspelled words
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I suspect They will bring in another arm. As I’ve mentioned before I don’t think they view back up QB They same way many posters here do. 

I think they value the off the field contribution of the back up qb more than on field ability 

I dont disagree. And if that's truly the case, then Flacco isnt that guy. He isnt the buddy-mentor type guy that Barkley is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!! said:

I would love to have Flacco and draft a QB in mid rounds. If we keep Barkley I would be very disappointed. 

He didn’t pass his physical in Denver which caused him to be released. I doubt anyone signs him this year

44 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I’d give Andy Dalton a contract in a second to be Josh’s backup. I just don’t think Andy sees himself as a backup yet.

Problem is Dalton is still under contract for this year at 17 million. And his contract expires after 2020. Unless next year he’s content on being a back up, I think he still goes to a team that needs a starter. We’re not one of them thank god, after all these years of dicking around on the QB position

• Like (+1) 1

It amazes me how often this comes up. For years we have dealt with needing a QB1 and we finally get one in Allen and now ppl have moved on to worrying about the backup. I get being worried because of how he plays but really? I'm more focused on Allen progressing than I am who warms the bench behind him.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Gambit said:

It amazes me how often this comes up. For years we have dealt with needing a QB1 and we finally get one in Allen and now ppl have moved on to worrying about the backup. I get being worried because of how he plays but really? I'm more focused on Allen progressing than I am who warms the bench behind him.

I hear you there. I won't speak for anyone else, but my concern isn't, "who covers for Allen if he fails?" My concern is, "who covers for Allen if he gets injured?

I wouldn't say QB2 is a huge need. But I'd say it is a need. Can Barkley win a few games if needed? I'm not sure.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marshallp29 said:

With limited upgrades available at QB in FA, I still believe we have to bring in competition for Matt Barkley. If Flacco would come cheap I would certainly take him. Would you sign a QB In free agency or draft a QB this year in the later rounds of the draft? 

You always draft, never stop drafting. Allen is in his third season and a vet won't do anything. 

3 hours ago, Marshallp29 said:

With the choices you offer, I would get Flacco due to his experience and keep Barkley till after the draft. If we land a decent backup-quality guy in the latter rounds, jettison Barkley. 

We have a real chance this year.  I’d rather take our 7 picks and move them to 4-5 picks at most for the positions we can use to be a champion.  Everyone knows the positions.  EDGE, WR, RB, and maybe we get lucky but doubt it on TE.  Stack the offense, and we already have a championship defense.

I think that teams should have 3 QBs, of the following types:  1) a bona-fide, unquestioned starter; 2) a veteran backup;  and 3) a developmental guy.  Depending on how heralded the developmental guy is, you can stash him on the PS, or you have to keep all 3 on the roster.  The veteran offers mentoring and game experience, while the developmental guy offers future potential and someone to run the scout team.  After a few years, the developmental guy might become the veteran backup and you get another developmental guy.  Some teams draft a QB every year and I like that idea.  If your #1 is a younger guy that looks like he'll be around a while, you can go late rounds or UDFA for the developmental guy.  My whole model fails for some teams, like the Bills of the past, if you can't find the #1.  It's great that the Bills finally have the #1!

• Like (+1) 1

I’m in the veteran camp. This team’s window is now open. It’s early in that window but it’s open. If Josh misses a month or 6 weeks they need someone that can be .500. With a shortened offseason I’ll take my chances with a decent vet over a rookie. Brissett (if he shook loose) and Keenum were the 2 guys I had my eye on. Brissett is still possible I suppose. I’d deal a mid to late round pick for him yesterday. I think there’s an out in his contract after this year too (could be wrong and don’t feel like looking it up). You could add him and give him an extension that a top backup would have. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2