Dion Dawkins or Matt Milano

elijah

Dion Dawkins or Matt Milano?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If you can only retain 1 next off-season, which player?

• Dion Dawkins
    • Matt Milano

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd have Hyde and Edmunds 4th and 5th. I just don't know who plays left tackle if Dawkins goes down and if you are bad there it wrecks games. I know some folks like Nsekhe. I have never particularly been one dating back to his Redskins days. 

Oh I get you now. I was thinking more in terms of our best players at their positions, not “if they get hurt, who hurts us the most.” 

I agree in that instance i suppose.

3 hours ago, below said:

You know that it increases for EVERY team right...

Which drives the prices up.

Not that much. And that will take a few years to drive prices up to any large degree.

TBH, I'm somewhat bemused by how much Spotrac think Milano is worth. I honestly can't see a FA market for him at $12 million per.

My gut instinct is that if he gets a solid, fair, offer from the Bills, his best bet is to take it, as he will be unlikely to get much more elsewhere.

Imho, his highest value currently, is to the Bills, and I don't think they will be offering him that $12 million per.

Now Lber is a position where you can change teams and still have success, assuming he would go to another base 4-3 team, yet his best fit atm would undoubtedly be the Bills, where he knows the scheme and the players intimately.

There is always a market for decent to good LTs, and there will be a strong one for Dawkins, assuming he keeps improving and remains injury free.

While I understand guys wanting to find a better player at a position, past history around the NFL shows that like QB, LTs simply don't grow on trees, and if you have a good one, you need to hang onto them, because you can struggle to find another, sometimes for years.

For us to get another good LT, we are going to have to draft one with a 1st or 2nd round pick, and we aren't going to be drafting very high for the next few years, hopefully. The only way the Bills should be looking to 'move on' from Dawkins, is if they can guarantee they can put someone as good as, or better, into the position. Note the word 'guarantee'.

Currently we have a very good core of young players we should be looking to retain and build around. Allen, White, Dawkins, Edmunds, Diggs, Oliver and Singletary. Add a young, good pass rusher to that group, and you have the basic requirements to be a solid team, for the next several years.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/3/2020 at 1:44 PM, WMDman said:

Dion, a solid LT is hard to come bye

Then he should be willing to accept a "solid" contract, right? He's as you say, a solid LT but in my opinion does not warrant a 15 mil per deal.

27 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

The 53 who have voted Milano need to be examined.

Agreed. Though one could argue that Milano being a great scheme fit is the better position player of the two. A competent LT in today's NFL is quite valuable though so Dawkins gets the nod in priority.

4 hours ago, Buddo said:

TBH, I'm somewhat bemused by how much Spotrac think Milano is worth. I honestly can't see a FA market for him at $12 million per.

My gut instinct is that if he gets a solid, fair, offer from the Bills, his best bet is to take it, as he will be unlikely to get much more elsewhere.

Imho, his highest value currently, is to the Bills, and I don't think they will be offering him that $12 million per.

I agree with this and mentioned it somewhere else. He is such a specific scheme fit that I don’t know how he gets that amount. Take into account that the free agent off ball linebacker list next year includes Lavonte David, KJ Wright, Demario Davis, Donta Hightower, Avery Williamson, Denzel Perryman, Zach Cunningham....

I love Milano, but who has the fit, the cap space, and prefers him to those other guys? I don’t see 12 million per. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is a good topic @elijah. I’m trying not to overthink it. Milano is a better player, imo, than Dawkins but it is a lot harder to find a quality LT. For that reason it is Dawkins.

I can see where you are coming from with that, as Milano is a good player. I can see Dawkins improving further though, although I think atm you are probably correct.

Thing is, a decent LT can go anywhere, whilst Milano is pretty much restricted to teams who are in a base 4-3 D.

Personal preference is to keep both, but I'm concerned that Milano might think he's going to get serious money, when I really don't believe he is.

• Like (+1) 1

There is no reason to not be able to keep both. I get the argument for the LT position being more important and it certainly is. It’s funny though how everyone keeps saying LT is hard to find, yet over the course of the past 10-15 years, we have always had a pretty good one. Also we have been letting them go and replacing them with more then acceptable performance right away. So maybe they aren’t overly hard to find.